Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 am 

Greetings. I am this individual. I've been playing music in bands since 1995. I'm pretty much a nobody and none of these bands/projects have ever done anything significant/amounted to anything.

Nonetheless, the vast majority of my personal discography is on Bandcamp, and I believe all of them are either “name your price” (substantially free), or outright free.

A note on “Recommended If You Like”: I am only placing this here to make broad sweeping genre references. In no way whatsoever am I making a comparison of quality to these notable bands.

All of these bands have an interesting story to tell. I'd share if asked.

This is a promotional forum-I am promoting some free music. Not all of it is great. Have at it-you might find something you like.

Metal:

Current Bands/Projects: None. And I don't anticipate on that changing anytime soon.

Former Bands/Projects:

Obliteration

Genre: Thrash Metal
Recommenced If You Like: Slayer, Pantera, Metallica
Existed: 1995-1998
Notes: I am the drummer on all recordings.

Coagulated Blood

Genre: Death Metal
Recommended If You Like: Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Morbid Angel
Existed: 1998-2004, 2010-2012
Notes: I am the drummer on all recordings. I did not take part in the 2010-2012 relaunch.

Cold Blank Stare

Genre: Black Metal
Recommended If You Like: old Mayhem, old Darkthrone, Xasthur
Existed: 2005-2014
Notes: Solo project-I am the sole performer on all recordings.

Dark Sacrament

Genre: Melodic Black Metal
Recommended If You Like: Dissection, old Gorgoroth, old Cradle Of Filth
Existed: 2009-2014
Notes: I am the drummer on all recordings. I was active with the band from 2009-2014.

Non-Metal:

Current Bands:

Paper Machetes

Genre: Indie/Alternative Rock
Recommended If You Like: The National, Interpol, Arcade Fire
Formed: 2017-present
Notes: I am the drummer of this band.

Former Bands:

Mazeffect

Genre: Garage/Punk
Recommended If You Like: Husker Du, The Replacements, old Black Flag
Existed: 2001-2008
Notes: I am the drummer on all recordings. Full discography not posted at present. I was active with the band from 2001-2007.

Grover Kent

Genre: Pop-Punk
Recommended If You Like: The Ramones, The Queers, Chixdiggit
Existed: 2000-present (technically inactive, but will occasionally get together to do shows/recordings)
Notes: I am the bassist/backing vocalist on the Running Out Of Ramones EP only. I was active with the band from 2005-2007.

Red Flag Fleet

Genre: Indie Rock
Recommended If You Like: Jimmy Eat World, Pinback, Death Cab For Cutie.
Existed: 2008-2011
Notes: I am the bassist on all recordings.

Goodbye Berlin

Genre: Indie Rock
Recommended If You Like: Belly, The Breeders, Lush
Existed: 2013-present
Notes: I am the bassist/glockenspiel-ist on the Pink Positive Demos and Tuesday Is Moving Day EPs only. I was active with the band between 2013-2014.

The Black Cat Fridays

Genre: Alterna-Pop
Recommended If You Like: Metric, Garbage, Veruca Salt
Existed: 2014-2017
Notes: I am the bassist/keyboardist all recordings.

Notes on other bands/projects listed on my artist page not on Bandcamp:

Slain (1995): drummer for this band, only cover songs rehearsed. No recordings officially released. (Genre: thrash/heavy metal).

Acquiesce (2003-2004): session drums for this project. An album was recorded, but not officially released (genre: doom/prog metal).

Decoder (2004-2006): session live drummer for a few gigs. Never a member, did not play on any recordings (genre: hard rock/heavy metal).

Kate Hart (2005-2009): session musician (drums, bass, guitars, keys) for the Natural Born Wallflower EP, released 2005, and guitars for one gig. She has no intention of uploading the EP to Bandcamp or continuing the project (genre: indie pop).

Dangerous Cousins (2012-2013): bassist/glockenspiel-ist for this band. Album recordings were started but never finished and ultimately abandoned (genre: Alt-Country/Indie Rock).
Obliteration

Last edited by FirebathDan on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:56 pm 

Because why not?
Obliteration

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 pm 

I'm actually really enjoying Obliteration '98, and I noticed it was ripped from tape to be available on Bandcamp, and while I realize it's been since 1998, you wouldn't happen to have any of these demo tapes left/available would you? I collect these sort of old demo tapes and I'd be happy to pay you for one.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 am 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
I'm actually really enjoying Obliteration '98, and I noticed it was ripped from tape to be available on Bandcamp, and while I realize it's been since 1998, you wouldn't happen to have any of these demo tapes left/available would you? I collect these sort of old demo tapes and I'd be happy to pay you for one.

So I only have the one original copy-there is only one true copy. Back in those days we would dub on demand if asked for a copy, as stated on Bandcamp (although I'd have to imagine the dubs were less than 20 total, as best as I can recall). We never "pressed" this demo in a fixed number-this demo was never "professionally reproduced" as it were. We were kids back then, we had no idea what we were doing, and professional reproduction was so far off our radar. So there are no copies to distribute in 2017.

I have no idea the condition of the tape itself-I have no means of cassette playback, let alone copying in 2017. The last time it was played was circa 2003-2004, when it was first ripped to CDr (direct rip, no enhancements etc.), and those CDr rips are what's on Bandcamp today (again, no enhancements). I would not be surprised if there was some degree of degradation on the tape itself. I have no idea. The photo on Bandcamp is a photo of the actual cassette itself taken in 2017, so it looks OK, but who actually knows? I wouldn't wanna risk fucking it up.

Even still, I would NEVER accept any money for this demo. It's free on Bandcamp and whatever dubbed copies were distributed in the late 90's were also given away for free. So this is certainly not meant to be a "cult demo" situation in any way.

Honestly, if I had means of copying to cassette in 2017, I would just feed the audio from Bandcamp to a generic blank tape. Generic blanks are what was used back then, and what I would use now (for "authenticity's" sake?). You're certainly more than welcome to recreate your own copy in this manner. Have at it.

I know this is getting long, but I thought the context is important.

But thanks for listening, and glad you enjoyed this.
Obliteration

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:29 am 

Bump
Obliteration

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:31 am 

Bump
Obliteration

FirebathDan