Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
D3athCr0ak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:22 pm 

Just recently bought this guitar on impulse from a friend who was selling it for cheap and I'm just wondering if it has a good sound for metal. I can't really test it too well unfortunately because my amp is breaking, so the sound isn't so great. Just wanted some opinions, I'm planning on getting a new amp as well. Just want to know if I've made a wise choice, or a poor one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:58 pm 

I think it should be fine, but really your ability to play metal will come more from your ability to play and not completely from your gear. I've seen plenty of people playing fender squires and telecasters doing blasting death metal.

D3athCr0ak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:34 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I think it should be fine, but really your ability to play metal will come more from your ability to play and not completely from your gear. I've seen plenty of people playing fender squires and telecasters doing blasting death metal.

Thank you for the response, I'm asking mainly because I've seen some Ibanez Xiphos models at some good prices, the guy who sold it was actually pretty reluctant to see it go. I wish I wasn't so impulsive, but it looks good and has a floating bridge and fine tuners. You're right though, it is more about your ability to play than the gear you use.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:22 pm 

Yea I bet if I came across the same deal I would've probably picked it up as well.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:23 pm 

All you have to worry about my friend, is if the guitar gives you a tone that you like, and plays well. If you get a nice tone, and you do not have any issues with the playability/action, then you have a keeper. Never be concerned with brands, they are only labels. With that said, if you play black metal, go with a Marshall. (Simply for the traditionalist factor ;))

Reply to topic