Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ginometalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 am 

My guitar is setup in drop c and previously had strings that were designed for drop c. I think they were by diadora or something. Anyways, I recently had it restrung with "not even slinky" strings, and it sucks now. I mostly utilize tremolo picking in my songs, and the playability of my guitar does not feel the same when tremolo picking power chords (oddly enough, when trem picking single strings it feels good). Is it all in my head? Or do strings really make that much of a difference? What is a good string for black metal trem picked guitar in drop c? thanks

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:39 am 

I always use Ernie Ball Coated Slinky 10-52 gauge for Drop C. I play a lot of tremolo picking(both single notes and power chords), chugging/speed picking/string-skipping riffs, octaves and full chords, basically most of the rhythm tricks in the bag, and they work fine. You just have to get your guitar setup for that gauge, preferably by a professional. I do, because I have no idea how to do it myself :D

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:02 am 

I don't use dropped tunings but its probably safe to guess that you were using D'Addario strings? I've heard great things about Ernie Ball strings like somefella has but I have always used D'Addario and really liked them. I think string gauge makes a real difference but imagine that brand would usually be minimal - keep in mind this is coming from someone that only uses one brand though.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:33 am 

I've tried quite a few brands but IMO it all comes down to preference. Same with gauges, although it's probably best that you use top heavy bottom light gauges for dropped tunings. Floppy strings rarely go well with metal, whether it's hyperspeed chugging or controlled, constant tremolos(unless all you want to play is Black Sabbath :P)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm 

I used a D'Addario 12-60 set (much lighter than the DR 12-60, interestingly) on C-standard, and it was definitely easy to play. Just that the things don't keep their (awesome) tone for very long.

ginometalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:54 pm 

I always have a professional set it up for me. The guy that usually does it for me was not there on my last visit though....

Anyways, so brand does not have as much to do with it, huh? Ok...I guess all I can do is go back when my regular guy is there and have him string it the way he want based on my genre. I never even questioned him when I would go in. I would just tell him I play black metal in drop c and he would get the strings and set it up.

This new guy also messed up my bass. Bought it brand new and had him set it up in drop c; when I got home, one of the strings was off and another was fixed on it's side in the fret board?

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:13 pm 

Cleartone is the only brand I've seen make and market strings for specific tunings. Their Heavy Series has a Drop C pack 13-70.

Reply to topic