Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:36 pm 

Hi guys, so, I've recorded a solo for one of my original songs, what you guys think? It is nothing too fancy and definitely not perfect. But I like the way it sounds n.n

Thoughts? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARbb6v-u2Ms

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:53 pm 

just wondering why would you alternate pick that little riff thing at 0:46? Dont you think it would be better to down pick stuff like that?

The solo itself was decent, but you could work on those vibratos a bit, make them smoother you know. Other than that the solo was nice, doesnt have to be anything fancy as long as it sounds good, that's exactly the kind of approach you should stick to when it comes to writing solos; instead of trying to cram as many notes as possible into one solo just focus on how things SOUND :)
Also nice 7 string!

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:30 pm 

Thanks for the reply man!

Yes, there is a reason why I play the riff the way I do, it is because I'm lazy, If I get to play it live I would do it down picking all the way for sure.
thanks for your words man, thats the way I like to write solos, not using tons of notes shredding, of course there is nothing wrong with a nice scale run here and there, I really like shred solos, but I don't tend to make them sound good. Also, yes, I love my guitar! The best thing I've bought in my entire life! :D

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 am 

That's fine but I do hope that you practice your picking hand on regular basis, for example I myself when I play riffs with my guitar (7 string Ibanez ;)) I take inspiration from James Hetfield and down pick just about everything that's humanly possible to down pick, it's a good way to keep your picking hand in shape so you wont tire it out in the middle of a song or anything. You certainly dont want that to happen in the middle of a live show! I can now down pick 8th notes at 210 bpm with no warm up, 220-230 after warm up but only very short periods at 230 bpm as of now, I'm working on it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm 

It's not strictly necessary to downpick everything if you work on making your palm mutes heavier, this way they'll sound even heavier whether you use an upstroke or downstroke.

As for the solo, I'm quite a rubbish lead guitarist myself but you should try to work on controlling the bends, and some of the sustained notes sound a little flat/lame. If you're going to sustain a note for a while, it has to sound absolutely great so try to be more exotic in your note choices. Don't bother about theory in that respect, just be adventurous and choose different notes.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys n.n I had a long while without being able to practice guitar, because of college and the fact that I had it back at hometown, it arrived last week here in capital city where I'm at the moment. So I was really happy to play again, and yes, i need to sharpen a lot.
:)

Reply to topic