Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Christopher_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 am 

Hey guys, I was tinkering away with my home recording setup and decided to branch out in a doom/drone/ambient direction. I'd really appreciate any feedback on my output and how I could improve it (I'm into dark industrial work as well as Black Metal solo projects like Leviathan and Arckanum, as reference points)

Here's the track: https://soundcloud.com/feralcatstudios/lucid-nightmare

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm 

I am not really into much drone or ambient because I find those genres are often too minimalistic. Naturally, I suggest adding more layers of sounds to your work to spice things up and make it more interesting. Right now you have the guitar with echo and not much else. Consider how drone and ambient music typically doesn't have catchy riffs or soaring melodies, but rather draws attention elsewhere through the use of various sounds or elongated notes to get the listener to focus on the tonal qualities of the instrument.

Here, the guitars kind of drown out the background sound you have going on and there also isn't a anything in the bass range to listen to. The echo makes the quarter notes kind of swell in volume in a rigid rhythm, which is fine and could be used to make a ritualistic find of feel but right now its just far too barren.

Christopher_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:15 pm 

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll flesh it out and elongate the guitar to make it more of an experience.

Reply to topic