Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:05 pm 

I've been wanting to record different sound effects for a while, and with my saved money I plan to buy a decent mic.
Any kinds of effects: outside noises, hammers, barks, whatever.
Also I've been wanting to know which mic should I buy for clean vocals and acoustic instruments.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:10 pm 

I have a rode nt1-a that I'm happy with. It works well for anything from clean vocals to death growls. For instruments I would recommend a shure SM57.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:48 pm 

For sound effects, a shotgun mic is incredibly useful. The Rode NTG2 (I think) is pretty decent, and not too expensive.

As for vox and acoustic instruments, a nice condenser mic is what you'll want. If you have the cash, an AKG 414 is hard to beat. The Rode NT1 or NT2 are also good. The AKG C3000 is pretty good as well, for a more budget mic.

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:23 pm 

thanks for the great suggestions! though as I see, the rode nt1 has only one polar pattern... but it seems nice and affordable, as well as the shotgun mic. The AKG C3000 also seems like a nice one, and doesn't seem to need a pop filter from what I'm reading, but has also only one polar pattern.
My budget is about $350, though I know that a good condenser mic is always way above of that, but if you have more suggestions then I welcome them. ;)

frisia_magna
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:30 am 

Maybe get 2 mics?

For vocals i would also recommend the Shure SM7B, It is a great vocal microphone (as it was designed for)
But..you can also use this mic on guitar cabs, acoustic guitars, bass cabs and i even used it as a bottom snare mic, which turned out awesome!
It will cost you a few penny's but the versatility is a huge pro, at least to me!

On guitar cabs i usually rig it up with 2 SM57's and the SM7B, it has a bit broader and warmer sound then let's say a MD 421.

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:03 pm 

frisia_magna wrote:
Maybe get 2 mics?

For vocals i would also recommend the Shure SM7B, It is a great vocal microphone (as it was designed for)
But..you can also use this mic on guitar cabs, acoustic guitars, bass cabs and i even used it as a bottom snare mic, which turned out awesome!
It will cost you a few penny's but the versatility is a huge pro, at least to me!

On guitar cabs i usually rig it up with 2 SM57's and the SM7B, it has a bit broader and warmer sound then let's say a MD 421.

yeah I plan to get 2 mics actually.
thanks for the rec, will check those out soon

Reply to topic