Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:10 am 

Hello everyone,
I need a good guitar for rhythm mainly, so I'd like a fixed bridge, the price range is 400$ but could be pushed a little bit.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:51 am 

Hey Nightwisher. Where do you live and what type of music do you play? I'll try to find some cheapies for you once I know. Can you shop over eBay?

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:19 am 

Actually, I live in Syria, I don't have access to ebay, I play mainly gothic metal.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:17 pm 

In that case, I would certainly recommend a lower end Ibanez, which are definitely a better all around choice than most guitars in that price range, for anything. The beauty of Ibanez is the diversity in tones, great playability and the value you get for your money.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:33 pm 

What are the options you have? I'd guess you either have to order one internationally from a major European instrument seller, or you have a limited selection to choose from. The cost of shipping will probably cut into the price by a fair amount.

That price range is a bit tough when used gear is hard to come by. Starting around $500, guitars tend to have name-brand pickups (EMG, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan) and often brand-name tuners (usually Grover). The best quality/value on the market are Schecter and ESP's guitars in the $500-700 range. Schecter's "Damien" series sell for $499 here, they're very good guitars. ESP's LTD Line at the 350 and 400 levels are great, the prices vary as they make tons of different things.

Around $300-400, the best guitars are probably Agile - their guitars are manufactured by Unsung, who made many great Epiphone guitars in the 1990s. They're generally a step above most other guitars in that price range because they just make and sell the guitars, they don't have a corporate face and advertising so you aren't paying money for the name.

LiberXul wrote:
In that case, I would certainly recommend a lower end Ibanez, which are definitely a better all around choice than most guitars in that price range, for anything. The beauty of Ibanez is the diversity in tones, great playability and the value you get for your money.

Ibanez is not a great value, they're expensive for what you get in the <$1000 range. They're not very diverse in tones either, especially with the Ibanez brand pickups (which you get on all the guitars up until $700-800). They pronounce mid-range very well since they use basswood on a lot of guitars, thus their reputation and use by a lot of prog/shred guys, but their lower end stuff is terrible for rhythm playing. Having heard some of Nightwisher's music, I don't think an Ibanez would be a good choice for what he's doing.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

Ibanez is not a great value, they're expensive for what you get in the <$1000 range

Not in my experience, personally. You have two contrasting opinions here Nightwisher. I suggest you at least give a few Ibanez's a chance and see what you think of them. I personally love their cheaper 7 strings, but of course the decision is up to you. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:13 pm 

Thanks for help !

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

Around $300-400, the best guitars are probably Agile - their guitars are manufactured by Unsung, who made many great Epiphone guitars in the 1990s. They're generally a step above most other guitars in that price range because they just make and sell the guitars, they don't have a corporate face and advertising so you aren't paying money for the name.

This. I've heard from many, many people that Agile makes unbeatable guitars for the price.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 pm 

Zodijackyl - do you own an Agile guitar? If so, which model?

I'm not interested in dropping $1000+ for another axe, but a good budget guitar might be nice to keep around in an alternate tuning.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:06 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

This. I've heard from many, many people that Agile makes unbeatable guitars for the price.

Guys, he said he lives in Syria, so Agile are definitely not a viable option for him. Also Zodijackyl, you're forgetting that prices in the USA are generally much cheaper than the rest of the world. The price difference can be anything from +100 to +400 $$$ for him.

Ibanez and Epiphone. Those are his best bets. For his price range, they'll all have more or less the same quality and sound, and if the sound isn't amazing then he can get better pickups later.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:48 pm 

soul_schizm wrote:
Zodijackyl - do you own an Agile guitar? If so, which model?

I'm not interested in dropping $1000+ for another axe, but a good budget guitar might be nice to keep around in an alternate tuning.

I don't own an Agile guitar but I have played a few - a Les Paul clone with humbuckers and a maple top, and one of their higher end guitars that was a similar configuration and shape to my LTD (MH-401QMNT). I own an Epiphone Les Paul manufactured by Unsung (in 1998), who now make Agile guitars, and that Epiphone is better than the Gibson I have that costs a lot more new.

kingnuuuur wrote:
Guys, he said he lives in Syria, so Agile are definitely not a viable option for him. Also Zodijackyl, you're forgetting that prices in the USA are generally much cheaper than the rest of the world. The price difference can be anything from +100 to +400 $$$ for him.

Ibanez and Epiphone. Those are his best bets. For his price range, they'll all have more or less the same quality and sound, and if the sound isn't amazing then he can get better pickups later.

I really don't know prices over there, and I don't know the availability. It's usually a matter of getting more knowledge and finding what the best deal to you is, though it's a bit hard when we have no idea what is available.

Putting new pickups in a $300-400 guitar isn't a smart option, especially if higher costs there are factored in. Waiting a while and saving money to buy a better guitar is absolutely a better option, especially in this price range. It might not be the most fun, but it works out well in the end. I wouldn't look to buy a guitar with the plan of eventually replacing pickups, especially on inexpensive guitars where the materials are cheaper.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 pm 

That depends also. Certain 'budget' guitars are well enough constructed such that a pickup change makes all the difference. My main axe is a Schecter Omen 006 Diamond Series. Replaced the stock bridge pickup with an SD Invader and there's no better guitar I could ask for.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Putting new pickups in a $300-400 guitar isn't a smart option, especially if higher costs there are factored in. Waiting a while and saving money to buy a better guitar is absolutely a better option, especially in this price range. It might not be the most fun, but it works out well in the end. I wouldn't look to buy a guitar with the plan of eventually replacing pickups, especially on inexpensive guitars where the materials are cheaper.

This is, of course, just your opinion. For starters, "materials are cheaper" doesn't matter. Pretty much all guitars below $1500 are bound to be made of the same materials. There's nothing more to gain on a $1000 guitar except for maybe a better fret job, slightly better stock electronics, tuners, and other features you might not want (e.g. trem, brand name). The difference really comes down to quality control and electronics. You can't change the former, but you can certainly change the latter. Generally, there won't be any major difference in stock pickup quality in expensive models, and a pickup change on a $1000 guitar will offer as much tonal improvement as on a $400 guitar. So, if you know that the manufacturer has good quality control (like Ibanez) then why bother to pay more when you'll be changing the stock pickups anyway? See somefella's post above.

Speaking of which, what about your Gibson SG Special? Do you consider that an absolutely better option over cheaper guitars?

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:13 pm 

The lower end Jacksons have decent pickups. The only problem with the pickups is that the neck pickup is very loud, so if you want to blend it with the bridge you have to rewire the guitar. The neck is also very thin front to back, and very wide, which you may or may not like. If it's a funny shape you may also have to move one of the strap buttons to get better balance.

Epiphones can be o.k., but you have to change the pickups. You also have to change the pickup selector if you use it, not right away, but after about a week of moderate usage.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:31 pm 

elf48687789 wrote:
The lower end Jacksons have decent pickups. The only problem with the pickups is that the neck pickup is very loud, so if you want to blend it with the bridge you have to rewire the guitar. The neck is also very thin front to back, and very wide, which you may or may not like. If it's a funny shape you may also have to move one of the strap buttons to get better balance.

Epiphones can be o.k., but you have to change the pickups. You also have to change the pickup selector if you use it, not right away, but after about a week of moderate usage.

Lower end Jacksons can be picked up super cheap on ebay, too. Less than $200 is easily obtainable.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:04 am 

He did say that Ebay was not an option for him, though. Haha.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

AtomicBeats
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:36 am 

If you want a decent electric guitar, Epiphone LP-100 Les Paul is the one for you.

Reply to topic