Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:35 pm 

I would like to have some physical copies of "Premeditated" to sell, but I'm not sure how or where I would sell them, or if that's even a good idea. Hey, if nothing else, with some physical copies I could finally get my music in the metal archives, hahaha.

For those of you that have released music on physical CDs, would you recommend it?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:59 pm 

From my experience releasing CDs independently they sell best at shows. Might be harder to move them as a one man band unless you work with a label or distro. Then again, you can get 50-100 runs for a few hundred bucks depending on package format and booklet. Even if you don't sell tons it's pretty sweet to hold your own music in a nice looking, professionally pressed CD. Then again you don't want to be stuck with a couple hundred copies no one wants haha.

From the promotional side, anyone who is digging your music can get a copy for their library which is likely to leave more of an impression than a download. I'd say it's worth looking at a small run if you've got the money, can get it out there to sell some copies, and want to push the band/project further.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:27 pm 

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have a run of 100 made. If nothing else, when I submit it to labels or for reviews or whatever, I'll be able to submit a nice, professional product. I'm getting ready to leave Korea (finally!), and then my wife and I are going to be in Maryland for 3 years. I'm hoping I can find a place there where I can play a concert or two, and I'll try to sell them there. Who knows. And like you said, it'll be nice just to have physical copies of my music in my hands.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:16 am 

I sell more physical cds than I do digital copies and I pretty much sell all my digital copies for .50. I'm not going on dollar amount on how much I make on either but the actual number of purchases of one over the other and it's pretty much 6times the amount of physical to digital. So it's a benefit for me at least. and I def only buy physical copies of anything. I don't bother with digital anything and never even consider paying for it. If you need some help or direction on where to go or what to do send me a PM I'll help ya out.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:18 am 

Sweet, thanks. My only concern is where I'll sell physical CDs, since I don't play live.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:23 am 

All my sales on online cause I haven't played live since 2 years ago. So i'm virtually in the same boat as you.

I promote there here and on DDR boards and for 54R... the singer does facebook shit and he promote 54R only on there. The sales from what I can tell have come from those two boards, facebook, some reviews of my stuff that are out there and some people randomly searching for stuff on bandcamp.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:29 pm 

Sweet, thanks. Once I get the physical copies I'll have to get a few tips from you. Maybe we can help each other or something.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:30 pm 

Works for me! I'll be more than happy to offer up what I do know and how I go about things.

Reply to topic