Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Recapitation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:47 am 

It's becoming more and more of a hassle to find D'Addario 50-135's locally and at this point if I'm going to start ordering strings online, then it's time to start sculpting the tone I really want.

I play an Ibanez BTB 505 and tune to C standard: G-C-F-A#-D#

I've really only played D'Addarios and tried a few of their catalog, liking the nickel wounds the most. I like the variety of sounds I can get from them, usually pretty gritty on the low end and bright and jazzy on the higher strings.

I'm tempted to try out the DR Drop-Downs to get some clarity, but I've only really heard the usual sales pitch from guys behind the counter. Any Death Metal bassists that can vouch for them?

I've got a show coming up soon and I would appreciate some sound advice from a community I can trust.

Thanks in advance.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 am 

I'm also a fan of d'addarios, for both guitar and bass. I started buying individual strings and basically made my own set, and I'm happy with that, on guitar. I'm about to start doing it on bass as well, because I can't find any sets I'm happy with. Personally, I would say go that route, just build your own set.

skull_king
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 pm 

Well I play guitar, but I would say that Ernie Ball strings are good for anything

Reply to topic