Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:31 pm 

http://soundcloud.com/skeletonhead-3/sk ... rior-class

I play lead guitar, bass, and vocals on this one. Another guy did some vocals and drums. Freshly written and freshly recorded. It glitches in the intro, but that was from the recording. The style is different from what I'm used to writing. Any feedback is appreciated.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:59 pm 

Sounds like a power pop punk band trying to play Hammerheart-era Bathory songs.

The first two minutes sound good, but the guitar riffs are pretty good but feel a bit short on phrasing, the recording doesn't help this. They don't emphasize the feeling of the riffs, especially when some of the mid-paced ones seem to be played without gusto. The drumming doesn't help. The vocals are bad, the singer needs to find pronunciation and tones that sound graceful with his voice.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Sounds like a power pop punk band trying to play Hammerheart-era Bathory songs.

The first two minutes sound good, but the guitar riffs are pretty good but feel a bit short on phrasing, the recording doesn't help this. They don't emphasize the feeling of the riffs, especially when some of the mid-paced ones seem to be played without gusto. The drumming doesn't help. The vocals are bad, the singer needs to find pronunciation and tones that sound graceful with his voice.

The spotty singing in the beginning is me along with the last few lines, the punky (yes, I even think pop-punky) vocal part over the fast riff is the other dude in the band. Most of the problems you mention are in the first two minutes, why is the beginning stronger to you? Care to hear another song that doesn't sound like 1990 Bathory? Fresh recording of an old song.

The intro riff timing gets sloppy. I'm on drums and rhythm guitar.
http://soundcloud.com/skeletonhead-3/sk ... -holocaust

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Care to hear another song that doesn't sound like 1990 Bathory?

No, I'd rather hear it be more like that :P I got home and put on Hammerheart, then opened up this thread and saw that comment :P

I think the first half is stronger because the riffs are better, and the song gets a bit stagnant as it goes on. The riffs also feel a bit looser towards the end, like the phrasing wasn't as focused, something that I do myself when I'm recording a song without practicing it enough. One part where the chords ring out a bit more just feels really like heavy pop punk, probably not an intentional vibe, but sometimes the wrong things come through during demoing.

I'll comment on the second song a bit later, need to clear my mind a bit first before focusing on feedback.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:12 pm 

first song started good, my main complaint is that it fell apart towards the middle and the vocals need some sort of compression it sounds like. i dont really understand the complaint about the drums, they sound like they were alright. probably the recording quality i guess. i'd give it a 7 out of 10, mainly because the vocals sounded a bit amateur

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:16 pm 

second song was a little hard to pick up the rhythm but i got it. sounded like dragonforce meets crazy train when the vocals came in. again, compress the vocals. they were better second song but still, it makes for good presence

Reply to topic