Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:23 pm 

https://bandcamp.com/help/merch_how_to

The link above was pretty informative when it came to getting ready to sell physical merch on bandcamp, but the main thing I'm still unsure about is calculating shipping costs. They said that the best way to do it is to actually go to the post-office with some sample packages to see how much it would cost to ship it. Some things I was wondering about were: 1. What if you have to ship multiple items/units? 2. Is there a set price for shipping things internationally (no matter which country it's going to?) or out of state? and 3. Where's the best place to get packaging supplies and what do you need to ship things like CDs and shirts (I assume UPS store would be good but haven't checked yet)?

If anyone has experience selling physical merch from their bandcamp, your help and insight is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bandcamp | Facebook | Youtube

Zodijackyl
Definitely Proportionate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:34 pm 

Shipping supplies are very expensive when you buy them individually and/or retail. Order them in bulk from any of the big office supply companies. Cardboard CD mailers and/or padded envelopes are good for individual things. USPS flat rate boxes are great, too - you can fit a shirt and a CD in a small box for $5-6 which includes the box and postage.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:37 pm 

Good to know - thanks a lot!

Bandcamp | Facebook | Youtube

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm 

yeah honestly the only way to really learn this stuff is to go to the post office and get some quotes on a few sample packages. Most of the time the price will be based on package size + destination location. Try you best to make sure that your packages will fit in a mail slot (get the post office people to test it out in front of you) and you save a lot of coin.

Multiple items you just gotta feel out and give you most educated guess. I personally work off percentages. I have the fixed rates for single items, and when people order multiples I discount 30% (I think--it's been a few years) of the shipping for each item and that generally works. Also, whatever your shipping rates end up coming out to, I would consider adding 10% to that (rounded up to a tidy figure) to account for the packaging materials you'll have to buy.

You'll pick up lots of tricks along the way. Be friendly to the post office staff too--they'll start to recognize you after a couple trips and they might be able to help you out in certain ways

Reply to topic