Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:51 am 

Line 6 stuff works well enough for recording after some good EQ-ing. As much as I'd like to say otherwise, I've seen and heard enough examples to convince me that a skilled guitarist and a good sound engineer can achieve a solid recording with just some POD stuff.

Even for playing live, stuff like the POD HD500 is decent. IMO the key to making digital tones less digital is to avoid any mid-scooping or cranking your treble too much. Of course like iamntbatman said you won't get the roar of an actual amp but you'll get a workable tone with a lot of clarity.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:56 am 

I'm neither a skilled guitarist nor a skilled engineer and I still think I got some pretty decent tones out of that stuff. I think it would take a lot more work to get an acceptable tone out of it for something more straightforward though, like a solid speed metal or thrash tone.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:19 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
As shitty as Line 6's amps are, I've actually been pretty satisfied with their UX1 recording interface and Pod Farm. All my Coma Void and Gloaming material is recorded with this stuff. Assuming the actual PODs are basically "Pod Farm in a Box" you should be able to get some decent tones out of them.

I've had better luck with the tones using VSTs along with the DAW rather than POD Farm. I'm pretty much a noob so I'm still trying to figure things out.

Here's a thread I posted earlier in the year that might help mike40k. Check out Det_Morketall's lengthy post.
viewtopic.php?p=2203447#p2203447

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:09 am 

VSTs through the DAW are the way to go BUT the POD Farm works well enough unless you want to sound like a Vader album mixed and mastered at Hertz studios. And for that you need Ran guitars, the Mille Petrozza Engl amp, the hands and brain of Piotr, and $10000 xD

Icos211
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:48 pm 

Basically if you can get your guitar signal into the DAW cleanly is the question. A POD can certainly do so, though I would very much suggest an actual audio interface with XLR for mics and1/4" inputs for guitars (If you have been micing your cab, I would figure that you have one. If you don't, look into Focusrite. 200 USD for the USB saffire 6 with some completely adequate preamps, goes up for firewire). Pod farm is not exactly the best for tone, but can be acceptable. Amplitube 3 is a little bit better(especially if you use your own impulses and their sims of the SLO or ENGL), and some argue Guitar Rig 4 *can* be a little bit better than that. My best results have come from an entirely free setup: Ignite Amp's TS-999 into LePou's LeGion, LeCab with Catharsis and God's Cab impulses, A compressor(I just use Logic's), and a noise gate (again, Logic's built in). I don't use any post-EQ, though for final mixing I might throw in a very slight dip around 6K or so. With 8gb of RAM this runs without any issues. With the way I have it set up it is pretty tight and percussive, heavy enough for chord rhythms and riffing. For cleans I just run through my neck pup and Amplitube.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:35 pm 

@Icos211

Could you please post some samples?
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

Blackened11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:49 pm 

I been playing songs from Dissection, Grotesque, Dark Funeral, Emperor, Metallica, and Iced Earth

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:07 pm 

http://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/the-grea ... of-nothing

Guitars and bass for this album were recorded with Amplitude, I thought they sounded fine. Don't ask me about specifics though, my vocalist produces and records us so I just wait for him to get it running, then plug in and play xD

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:42 pm 

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm gonna mess around with VST amps, fx etc and see how that sounds. If that doesn't work out maybe I'll get a POD of some kind.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:28 am 

Just buy descent USB or fireware audio interface and you will be more than satisfied.
An example how Amplitube can sound.

https://soundcloud.com/oligopod/mrakobes-memorial-w-vocals
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:53 pm 

I have a kind of noob-y question; on songs like En Ring Til Å Herske and I Troldskog Faren Vild, the tabs say, for example, an empty E-string and then a 2 on the D-string. How would you play this? Mute the A-string in this case? If so, wouldn't that string have an X on it? Forgive me if this is an obvious one...

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:35 pm 

Yeah you'd mute the A string, unless you fingerpick or use some hybrid picking style. A lot of tabs have plenty of mistakes so if you see something that looks off then feel free to trust your ears. Also, it could be a deliberate convenience thing, I never write out mutes when I do tabs, especially with octaves like that.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:48 pm 

Huh, okay, thanks. It does sound kind of weird though.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:32 pm 

It's an octave so yes mute the A string. You can also do it Nile style and hit the D string a split second after you hit the E, this way you get a nice reverb-ish effect.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:07 pm 

Does anyone know of a good pedal for black/death/thrash? Preferably with enough dist and treble for black metal, but enough of everything to switch around to other genres aswell. Metal Zone?
I have a Fender Mustang I V2 if that helps. I can actually get a decent Early-Burzum-ish tone out of it, but it works better for death or thrash.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:05 pm 

I own a Metal Zone myself and it's good enough for practice/rehearsals/live IMO, I wouldn't record with it. But Joel Grind used in on Overdose Of Death so that's personal preference as well. For cheap you can try the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff, I hear a lot of good things about it though I personally don't like it very much. The Blackstar HT-Metal is more pricey but you get that smooth tubey distortion that you normally only get from amps.

DarkWhatever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:14 am 

For straight up black metal I've always preferred shitty amp distortion. Metal Zone would certainly suit your needs. I sold mine because I thought it sounded too thin. I'm into grindy tones.

DarkWhatever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:14 am 

For straight up black metal I've always preferred shitty amp distortion. Metal Zone would certainly suit your needs. I sold mine because I thought it sounded too thin. I'm into grindy tones.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:07 am 

The Metal Zone can be made to sound fuller with some EQ. I notice that 99% of YouTube demos sound like shit because most people don't EQ it properly. My guess is that amateurs don't know how to EQ well and professionals would go for something more expensive than a MT-2. Ergo, most people who post demos of it usually sound bad.

DarkWhatever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:03 pm 

Yeah man, can't disagree with you there. I'm one of those people. With a generic HM-2 I don't have to worry about fullness. Quite the opposite actually. I usually have to end up refining it and giving it more clarity but for me its easier to take body away than to add it.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:02 am 

Well I'll probably get a Metal Zone. I like having the bass at 2-3 and treble at 10 on my amp, then gain and volume on 8-9, makes it sound a little like the 2 first Burzum full-lengths. To be honest it isn't that good for metal (the amp) but eh, it was cheap and I was just starting out.
The MT-2 has an EQ right? Except no mids knob? In that case just like my amp.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:59 pm 

It does have a mids knob, 2 in fact. One to control the scoop(aka how much mid frequency you want to cut out). Abuse of this knob is the main reason why most people using this pedal sound bad. They turn it up a little and suddenly OMG ITS THE COWBOYS FROM HELL YEAHYOW

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:43 am 

Oh cool. Even better, always missed the mids knob on my amp. Would never scoop it though, makes it sound like nu metal, bleh...

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:30 pm 

Anyone have tabs for Liege Lord's "Feel the Blade" and/or Morgana Lefay's "In the Court of the Crimson King"?

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:05 pm 

Icos211 wrote:
Basically if you can get your guitar signal into the DAW cleanly is the question. A POD can certainly do so, though I would very much suggest an actual audio interface with XLR for mics and1/4" inputs for guitars (If you have been micing your cab, I would figure that you have one. If you don't, look into Focusrite. 200 USD for the USB saffire 6 with some completely adequate preamps, goes up for firewire). Pod farm is not exactly the best for tone, but can be acceptable. Amplitube 3 is a little bit better(especially if you use your own impulses and their sims of the SLO or ENGL), and some argue Guitar Rig 4 *can* be a little bit better than that. My best results have come from an entirely free setup: Ignite Amp's TS-999 into LePou's LeGion, LeCab with Catharsis and God's Cab impulses, A compressor(I just use Logic's), and a noise gate (again, Logic's built in). I don't use any post-EQ, though for final mixing I might throw in a very slight dip around 6K or so. With 8gb of RAM this runs without any issues. With the way I have it set up it is pretty tight and percussive, heavy enough for chord rhythms and riffing. For cleans I just run through my neck pup and Amplitube.

Don't I have you as a friend or something on youtube? my name there is oathofobscurity

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:39 am 

My guitar's not making any sound. I tried two cords, my amp by itself and my pedal by itself with headphones. Is the wire in the pic supposed to be attached?

Spoiler: show

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm 

It looks like it broke free directly from above. there is never a time a stray wire like that is in a guitar.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:59 pm 

Ok thanks. It's just resting on the part above while the other wire is attached. Tried it today and it's making sound, but the sound is fuzzy/not right and cuts in/out. Only time something like this has happened was when my pickup battery died after 7 years.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:24 pm 

new battery maybe... also maybe clean off the solder and reattach. hard to guess by really just seeing a single pic.

bentt96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:21 am 

Guitar Experts out there explain to me how to be able to play what I hear or what's on my mind on the guitar?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:31 am 

But being good at your instrument and understanding how a note corresponds in your head on to the fret board. If you want something more expansive than that then spend some more time practicing and come back and ask something much more specific.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:38 am 

It has to do with recognising the notes in your head, like SLK said.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:47 am 

But isn't recognizing the notes in your head referred to as having perfect pitch? Not many people have that. I think it's more so recognizing intervals as well as where a certain note fits into the key/context that you're playing in, which would be relative pitch.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:09 am 

It doesn't have to get the nerdy. Just know the rough melody or idea and then you can hash it out on guitar. In fact, in the process of finding it you may come up with something even better. Music is still supposed to be fun, try not to get dogged down in all the so-called 'correct' way of this and that.

bentt96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:48 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
But being good at your instrument and understanding how a note corresponds in your head on to the fret board. If you want something more expansive than that then spend some more time practicing and come back and ask something much more specific.

I don't Know what to practice.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:39 am 

If you are just begining then anything. go pick up my first guitar book and play twinkle twinkle little star over and over again.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:28 am 

Practice this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGDIOT6c0A

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 pm 

Turns out my problem was that pickup battery again. I had shrugged off that possibility because it had been replaced about a year ago, but I guess the cold weather from when the electricity/heat was out for 6 days must have drained the battery. Happy!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:16 pm 

Yea that happens to batteries in cold weather, glad you got it fixed.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:26 am 

Has anybody gotten the blue screen (BSoD) because of the audio interface? I have a basic pod studio gx and at times when I unplug the device, the laptop crashes. I've read online that there could be issues with the drivers but I haven't gotten a failsafe solution. So far, I'm just leaving it plugged in and not doing anything.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next