Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:22 pm 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Yay my picks are 1,5mm as well, they take it pretty well.
And Ilwhyan, I usually play standard e tuned songs as they are, which means since my guitar is in drop a tuning I simply omit the 7th string when I play the song (of course every now and then I experiment standard e tuned riffs from the low end, just to see what it would sound like). That's the cool thing about 7 strings, you can play standard tuned stuff and really heavy stuff without having to switch guitars. It's like having 2 different tunings in one guitar ;)
And someone asked what strings I use, I use La Bella HRS-75 strings and the gauges are .011-.014-.018-.036w-.046-.052-.070 and I get them from here.

Yeah, I thought so. I also play most stuff as it would be played in E standard even though I tune to C. Death Trap sounds better in A, but it's more fun to play in F.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Yay my picks are 1,5mm as well, they take it pretty well.
And Ilwhyan, I usually play standard e tuned songs as they are, which means since my guitar is in drop a tuning I simply omit the 7th string when I play the song (of course every now and then I experiment standard e tuned riffs from the low end, just to see what it would sound like). That's the cool thing about 7 strings, you can play standard tuned stuff and really heavy stuff without having to switch guitars. It's like having 2 different tunings in one guitar ;)
And someone asked what strings I use, I use La Bella HRS-75 strings and the gauges are .011-.014-.018-.036w-.046-.052-.070 and I get them from here.

Thanks, man. Finding a set I've wanted to change to w/out having to mix and match has been a hassle. That set looks just right for me.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:53 pm 

I need some help...

I've been playing right hand guitar for a few years now, and I have to say that my skills are extremely unbalanced between what I can do with my left hand and my right hand. Put it simply, making chords and going through chord changes quickly is pretty easy for me (I can play shit like this no problem). I am still working on the sheer speed I can move my fingers while doing singular note melodies, but in general my left hand is pretty exceptional on a guitar.

My right hand, in my opinion, sucks. I'm a left handed person as it is, and the only reason I didn't pick up left handed guitar was because it would've been flipping all my previous musical knowledge ass backwards, hence making composing and soloing far less intuitive than it is (I played piano for years before I picked up guitar, so pitches increasing the more right you go across the instrument is how I've been taught how to perceive music). I can alternative pick but with only moderate precision. For example, doing trememlo picking isn't hard if the picking doesn't carry a rhythm (IE a lot of black metal), but consistently playing 16th notes at a moderate tempo KILLS my wrist (example at 1:54), as well as doing chugs consistently for long periods of time.

With this problem inherently comes another; because my wrist hurts like a motherfucker every time I try improving it, I have a very finite amount of time within in a guitar session that I can work on my wrist before picking becomes really painful. Therefore, I've always (not even consciously) worked less on my right hand than my left.

So here's the deal; I need to find exercises that'll improve my right hand... but it needs to be a little less painful so I can do it for long periods of time and still be able to play guitar.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:38 pm 

dude I dont even know why you would put yourself in that situation in the first place...left handed people cant play right handed guitars, you gotta pick with your better hand. I'm right handed and I cant pick for shit with my left hand...seriously the only advice I could give you is just give it up, get a left handed guitar and re-learn your music theory, trust me it will be much easier that way because if you really have trouble just PICKING that Faceless riff then it's not just your opinion that your picking hand sucks, it's my opinion too. That riff isn't even fast nor does it include any intricate picking patterns, if that gets hard for your picking hand then your picking hand is clearly at a complete rookie level and it's gonna take YEARS to get it in decent shape.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:43 pm 

I just tried, and with a little bit of practice to get used to it, I could pick that with my left hand on my right-hand guitar turned around. If you insist on playing a right-handed guitar, you really have to dedicate time to practicing your picking hand. It can be done, but not without extreme patience and long hours devoted to slow and effective practice. Just start quite slow and do it every day.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:26 pm 

Firstly, handedness probably has nothing to do with that kind of pain. I am left handed and play right handed guitar without any problem, and in a thread about lefties here a while back I wasn't the only person on these forums to do so. Also, Ilwhyan's ability to learn the riff the opposite way should help remove any doubts as to whether this is really an issue of being left or right handed.

Rather, pain when playing is probably either a problem with your technique or given how severely you describe it, perhaps a medical issue. You say things like the wrist pain kills, hurts like a motherfucker, and it really painful. This isn't really normal. If you have all ready tried a steady, gradual, and slow practice regime like Ilwhyan wisely suggests then your next step is a visit to a doctor's office.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:11 am 

What he said ^ I play left handed guitar even if I'm right handed because of an accident that rendered my left pinky useless and the only time I've ever had such a problem was when my picking technique involved lots of arm and I got crazy tendinitis. You have to pick with your wrist. You should probably take a rest and see a doctor, yeah.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MetalMarco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 pm 

this one is really awesome guitar playing:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:16 pm 

MetalMarco, every post of yours that I've seen has been plugging Annihilator. You're welcome to discuss the music in the metal discussion forum, talk about guitar playing in depth, but fanboy slobbering over YouTube videos with nothing constructive is frowned upon. You'll have to at least offer some insights or ask serious questions. Fanstuff, rather than talking about actually playing guitar and what's being done should go in the metal discussion forum.

Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 pm 

I'm a keyboardist learning guitar. Its more difficult then I thought it would be, and for some reason I don't feel like my strumming is correct, I sometimes miss the strings on the upstroke and I haven't yet been able to strum out any rhythms. Any advice to getting down basic strumming technique and learning rhythms?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 am 

Depends what kinda rhythms. To work on the up and downstroke, just pick single notes up down up down til they're all perfect. With a metronome, slowly increasing the speed. It's boring as hell, but it's a good foundation. This way, when you learn more complicated stuff in the future, you won't encounter problems such as a certain tremolo riff is too fast or anything like that.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 am 

i was wondering if learning songs to start practicing a certain technique (alternate, sweep picking, tapping, etc.) it's a good idea too and no just looking for exercises to practice. Because i want to re-learn from start to play guitar.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 am 

of course it is, why the hell not

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm 

It's the best way to learn guitar- exercises+songs. If all you do is exercises you'll be bored to death before learning anything. And if all you do is songs, it's going to take a while. Warm up with some exercises and then play songs.

Mechanix11 wrote:
i was wondering if learning songs to start practicing a certain technique (alternate, sweep picking, tapping, etc.) it's a good idea too and no just looking for exercises to practice. Because i want to re-learn from start to play guitar.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:02 pm 

also i was thinking if also is a good idea to take some difficult songs like a challenge. I'm looking something that can helps also to learn some techniques meanwhile i'm learning the song. Any song(s) that can reccomend? I'm looking something like tech death or thrash, jazz, etc. style of songs, something to get starting with some techniques.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:39 pm 

When picking songs you've got to pick a song that you like and want to master. Don't know what bands you listen to. Look for something that's not too complicated but challenging. I don't know what level you play, but I would stay away from tech death. You don't want to pick something that's going to frustrate you. Have you tried Slayer? They're not particularly easy but it's rewarding to learn their songs.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:01 pm 

ahr888 wrote:
When picking songs you've got to pick a song that you like and want to master. Don't know what bands you listen to. Look for something that's not too complicated but challenging. I don't know what level you play, but I would stay away from tech death. You don't want to pick something that's going to frustrate you. Have you tried Slayer? They're not particularly easy but it's rewarding to learn their songs.

Well i have been playing guitar for like 4 years but the main problem it's like i have been learning guitar the wrong way i'm good with riffs and that kind of stuff, but on playing solos i just play some random notes and i dont know what i'm playing. That why i wanted to pick a challenging song that also can give me some help with a few techniques (sweep picking, alternate picking, tapping, etc.). I saw some The Faceless tabs but are (seriously) too difficult to me. Slayer songs are good to me, about tech death i dont mind to learn some songs, but also that are not too difficult.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:
ahr888 wrote:

Well i have been playing guitar for like 4 years but the main problem it's like i have been learning guitar the wrong way i'm good with riffs and that kind of stuff, but on playing solos i just play some random notes and i dont know what i'm playing. That why i wanted to pick a challenging song that also can give me some help with a few techniques (sweep picking, alternate picking, tapping, etc.). I saw some The Faceless tabs but are (seriously) too difficult to me. Slayer songs are good to me, about tech death i dont mind to learn some songs, but also that are not too difficult.

Well, first of all, there's nothing wrong with being a good rhythm guitar player! There are tons of guys who can run up and down scales but can't crank out a kick-ass rhythm guitar part, so don't be so hard on yourself.

For me, lead guitar -- and this is what I've traditionally been better at -- was all about just working out against good, solid progressions. My best advice is to record a few solid rhythms, and then start soloing against them. Resist the urge to pound out senseless notes. Put together a few planned solos. Ones that you can repeat every single time. Then work on a few harmonies, with 2 different solo parts. Do a melodic solo with a 3rd interval second part. Then do a 5th interval, see how it sounds. Practice different things. Solos aren't always just wailing. Some of the best are laid out ahead of time; just like the rhythm parts. See what sounds good to you.

Another thing I recommend is to really work on your vibrato. A good solo vibrato is something that I see missing with a lot of players. It's absolutely essential, in my opinion, if you want to develop a solo style that is distinctive and interesting.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 am 

double post

Last edited by soul_schizm on Mon May 13, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:29 am 

When I want to learn a technique, I write songs that use it. That forces me to practice until I've got it instead of giving up when I inevitably get frustrated. Goes double if it's for a band and you've got to pull it off at rehearsal or live.

Want to learn to tap? Figure out a chord progression you like and tap it in a way that's very challenging but doable, and practice til you've got it perfect.. Want to learn to sweep? Figure out a chord progression you like and sweep it, same deal.

I don't know if learning this way works for other people but it works for me. If it's my song, I've really got to master it, but if I'm jamming a cover, who cares?

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:50 pm 

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

There are so many ways that players improve, it's hard to just say one way is the only way to do it. It's really just finding something that works for you, and putting in the time.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 am 

soul_schizm wrote:
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

There are so many ways that players improve, it's hard to just say one way is the only way to do it. It's really just finding something that works for you, and putting in the time.

Agreed. I'd say the only universal methods are hard work, and a metronome :D

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:01 am 

Quote:
Well, first of all, there's nothing wrong with being a good rhythm guitar player! There are tons of guys who can run up and down scales but can't crank out a kick-ass rhythm guitar part, so don't be so hard on yourself.

For me, lead guitar -- and this is what I've traditionally been better at -- was all about just working out against good, solid progressions. My best advice is to record a few solid rhythms, and then start soloing against them. Resist the urge to pound out senseless notes. Put together a few planned solos. Ones that you can repeat every single time. Then work on a few harmonies, with 2 different solo parts. Do a melodic solo with a 3rd interval second part. Then do a 5th interval, see how it sounds. Practice different things. Solos aren't always just wailing. Some of the best are laid out ahead of time; just like the rhythm parts. See what sounds good to you.

Another thing I recommend is to really work on your vibrato. A good solo vibrato is something that I see missing with a lot of players. It's absolutely essential, in my opinion, if you want to develop a solo style that is distinctive and interesting.

Well i dont mind to be a rhythm guitar player but also i want to learn how to be a good lead guitar player too. At the moment i think i'm going to look some songs to learn as a challenge (also not to diffucult songs) and practice.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:48 am 

Rhythm guitar is easy to pick up by intuition for talented people, although developing more interesting chords and using them effectively in conjunction takes knowledge and experience. It demands less technical ability than lead guitar, when it comes to rock and metal at least. That said, in extreme metal, rhythm guitar techniques can be quite reminiscent of lead guitar due to the amount of tremolo-picking, string skipping and complex death metal riffs.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:50 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxZwgVX6fVg

Man, you can't play metal rhythm til you can play like that!

I always liked searching YouTube for my favourite shredders(Gus G or Jeff Loomis), clicking on a random 'Lick Of The Day' video, and just learning that. You'd be surprised at how fast you can take that lick you just learned as an inspiration for something of your own.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:54 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
Well i dont mind to be a rhythm guitar player but also i want to learn how to be a good lead guitar player too. At the moment i think i'm going to look some songs to learn as a challenge (also not to diffucult songs) and practice.

It sounds like I've got the same problem - I've never been great at lead work, but I've had a lot of fun playing Hexen's Desolate Horizons recently. Can't do that sweeping section in the middle for the life of me though! Here's a fan cover of it:
Spoiler: show

I've also been playing some Necrophagist riffs as a kind of exercise, mostly the verse riff in Foul Body Autopsy. I've had to play it loads to get it sounding nice, but I found it quite rewarding and fun to play. Hopefully they're not too advanced...

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:12 am 

Why isn't this thread stickied, seems like it would be the most frequented topic in this sub-forum given how many users play guitar.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 pm 

I've been playing for twenty years and I never really learned how to be a lead guitarist, so don't worry too much about it. Hell, I've released 4 albums, each one with plenty of solos, some of them decent, but I'm still not a lead guitarist. Learn some basic lead techniques, learn some good solos and practice practice practice. You'll develop your own technique. I still can't even sweep pick lol. I'm too lazy to practice it now.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:04 pm 

somefella wrote:

I always liked searching YouTube for my favourite shredders(Gus G or Jeff Loomis), clicking on a random 'Lick Of The Day' video, and just learning that. You'd be surprised at how fast you can take that lick you just learned as an inspiration for something of your own.

Yeah, youtube is a godsend for learning stuff.

It probably killed the celebrity learning tape business that was flourishing in years past, though :)

I had a stack of those things -- which are all now available on youtube for free.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:24 pm 

Does anybody have any experience with the Sterling JP7's? I really want another seven-string guitar, and these seem to be about what I'm looking for in a guitar. The C-7 Hellraiser I had was great, but I could do without some of the weight and minor clunkiness. Another guitar I was looking at was that new PRS SE 7, seems pretty comparable to the Sterling 7s. I currently have a standard PRS SE Custom 24, and a few of the reviews I read said that it was pretty much a Cu24 with an extra string, which is great. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 am 

anyone knows how the VST plug-ins works? i want to use the laptop like an amp simulator because at the moment i dont have an amp.
I used Audacity but it only record and has a clean sound and i dont know how to add distortion or other effects.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:25 am 

soul_schizm wrote:
somefella wrote:

Yeah, youtube is a godsend for learning stuff.

It probably killed the celebrity learning tape business that was flourishing in years past, though :)

I had a stack of those things -- which are all now available on youtube for free.

I had Shred Alert! by Paul Gilbert and another Jeff Loomis one, and they're all 1080p on YouTube, so much faster than to look for the cases on my shelf and insert them into the computer hahaha.

Paul Gilbert definitely has the most effective lessons when it comes to things like picking exercises, though pretty much anyone who has an instructional DVD out is worth learning a thing or two from(sans Kirk Hammett and Matt Heafy of course, :P) Jeff Loomis's aren't so useful unless you play a seven string though.

I was always a fan of more tasteful soloing than shredding, though it's good to know how to do both. I will agree with soul that a good phrasing and vibrato are definitely the most essential things to have though.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 pm 

I don't listen to Celtic Frost anymore, yet quite some of the riffs I manage to come up with are pretty inspired by them or so it sounds. Funny how that works.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:52 am 

Do any acoustic players here want to chime in with opinions on a wound versus unwound 3rd string ("g string")? I know there are potential issues with intonation, tension and just not really sounding as good, but I'm wondering if it's just a preference issue or if it's truly detrimental to use an unwound 3rd string. I frequently switch tunings and at least two of the tunings I use require an uptuned 3rd string. With a wound one, it's not very difficult for the string to just snap purely from tuning it. The only ways I can see around it are to switch to an unwound or to downtune everything else and then capo it at the appropriate fret. I doubt there's a light enough gauge wound 3rd that would solve the problem either. And yes, I'm aware of the tension issues created by tightening strings; it's the only one that gets tuned up though, everything else gets tuned down.

I'm (very poor) fingerstyle, FYI.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 pm 

somefella wrote:

Great videos, thanks for posting that.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 am 

Sure thing dude, hope you learned something :)

As I have probably mentioned on this forum many times, I consider Jon Schaffer, Mille Petrozza and Dave Mustaine to be the prime examples of playing rhythm guitars in metal. Jon gives the best advice though, and what he says in these how-to-play videos are very important. To work with a metronome all the time, and approach riffing with a mindset that every note counts, no such thing as a couple less chugs on a fast riff.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Do any acoustic players here want to chime in with opinions on a wound versus unwound 3rd string ("g string")? I know there are potential issues with intonation, tension and just not really sounding as good, but I'm wondering if it's just a preference issue or if it's truly detrimental to use an unwound 3rd string. I frequently switch tunings and at least two of the tunings I use require an uptuned 3rd string. With a wound one, it's not very difficult for the string to just snap purely from tuning it. The only ways I can see around it are to switch to an unwound or to downtune everything else and then capo it at the appropriate fret. I doubt there's a light enough gauge wound 3rd that would solve the problem either. And yes, I'm aware of the tension issues created by tightening strings; it's the only one that gets tuned up though, everything else gets tuned down.

You'll have to find a string gauge that goes best with multiple tunings. Or you could get a spare G string or two.

For an acoustic, I personally prefer a wound G string. I find a plain one sometimes has a kinda sharp, harsh sound to it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

You'll have to find a string gauge that goes best with multiple tunings. Or you could get a spare G string or two.

For an acoustic, I personally prefer a wound G string. I find a plain one sometimes has a kinda sharp, harsh sound to it.

Same here. In this way, strumming chords gets you a very uniform sound, with the 2 unwound top strings chiming in brightly when you up-pick a chord.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:24 pm 

Opinions on the Line 6 POD 2.0? Some demos of it I've been watching on youtube sound pretty good. Is it a worthy investment, or does it sound overly digital? I'm interested in it because when I move out of my current place I will probably not be able to record by micing my half-stack simply due to the volume, so I'm looking into recording direct.

Can you run FX pedals into the POD?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:53 am 

As shitty as Line 6's amps are, I've actually been pretty satisfied with their UX1 recording interface and Pod Farm. All my Coma Void and Gloaming material is recorded with this stuff. Assuming the actual PODs are basically "Pod Farm in a Box" you should be able to get some decent tones out of them. You'll likely never really get true tube amp warmth or anything and there's always going to be something of a "digital" flavor there, but that's pretty much par for the course when it comes to modern solid states w/pedal-generated tone anyway.

I've never tried using actual pedals in front of the UX1, so I can't comment on that.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next