Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:14 am 

somefella, I rather see you write another original and not cover anything. Covers are annoying as fuck.

trigger, it's always awesome when shit flows together easily.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:35 am 

@SLK, well hey, with 9 originals already, we thought it'd be fun to record a cover since we usually jam a lot of those during extra rehearsal time, just as a little tribute or something. I'm really confident in the new material though, can't wait til we begin recording :)

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:07 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
trigger, it's always awesome when shit flows together easily.

Hah, definitely. Just finished a 2nd song too.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:15 am 

Today I thought about the chance of making/working on another project, based on some jamming I had at home and some very nice riffs for 2 songs. It's like black metal but more avantgarde oriented (more into Virus/Ved Buens Ende). It's also very convenient to use some crazy fretless basslines.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:17 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Today I thought about the chance of making/working on another project, based on some jamming I had at home and some very nice riffs for 2 songs. It's like black metal but more avantgarde oriented (more into Virus/Ved Buens Ende). It's also very convenient to use some crazy fretless basslines.

Sounds sweet. I have a couple of such songs but not enough to make a full band out of it lol.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:27 am 

I haven't found a right band to use some of my ideas, especially bass-wise. Since I live in the middle of nowhere I can't find musicians to compose, rehearse and stuff, so I usually handle everything. I've played live a lot for many bands but most of them never got to record some stuff, mostly cause they never wanted to progress, to be somebody, to achieve something. In a way that applies to myself too but this year that will change.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:12 pm 

Been writing some small leads. Also got up with a cool rocking riff. I should take more time to actually write own things. Even the smallest things can be fun.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:53 pm 

Found a small piano thingie I wrote some time ago and I liked it, what do you guys think of it?

http://www.mediafire.com/?e5w4xpf9c9lwz4y

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:54 pm 

@somefella... I rather a band not even include them on an album. I don't even want to see them taking up space. covers should only be meant to play live and for fun in your band room. I know I'm in the minority of it but I just hate them I've only played one cover in my life and i didn't mind so much cause i was playing what a drum machine normally plays, so i was happy to outdo it in the blast department... we didn't record it though.

Kve.. You need to let me hear some of that avantgarde material! Love love love some Ved Buens Ende

Black_Plague666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:20 am 

Even though I don't know how to "play", working on riffs for the next song for my demo, while trying to find a guitarist for my band. Rerecording one song for the promo cassette I'll be releasing soon and working on the guitar parts for the cover. As for the drums, getting pissed off trying to find drums that go well with the songs from a program ( I HATE DRUM PROGRAMS, but, it's better than having someone who doesn't like your type of music).

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:44 am 

Well hey, that's understandable, so at least it's always the last track in our case. Debut album was like a mix of Grave, Melechesh and Behemoth. 2nd is sounding more like later Vomitory, Obituary, early Vader, and with a dash of Asphyx, and with all our middle-eastern melodies. I'm really excited about getting it down on record (Y)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:05 am 

They cool, I'll def be interested in hearing that!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:12 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Kve.. You need to let me hear some of that avantgarde material! Love love love some Ved Buens Ende

I'm not sure when I'll be recording those songs - if I ever do it - but I guess it might be compared to Virus, Ved Buens Ende and to some extent to Code.

Yesterday I sent a song to a label (by their request) to see what happens. A guy from there said I had 80% to get signed, so we'll see. If this goes well, I'll have to record an additional song.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:51 pm 

Wrote 80% of another song today, which brings me to 4 for the new project. That's like half an album lol.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:02 pm 

Spent the morning fucking around with a bass and a flange petal, came up with a post-punk Joy Division/early New Order sounding song. I think I might record some drums for it this afternoon, but we'll see. I've got some over-sized burgers on the grill so I might end up lounging on the deck in a food coma.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:30 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

I'm not sure when I'll be recording those songs - if I ever do it - but I guess it might be compared to Virus, Ved Buens Ende and to some extent to Code.

Yesterday I sent a song to a label (by their request) to see what happens. A guy from there said I had 80% to get signed, so we'll see. If this goes well, I'll have to record an additional song.

very very cool and you better record that shit. I'll help I ain't got no prob though I prefer the drumming style to VBE which is more flowing and organic than the strict time keep of Virus.

and I'll be home the 25th till the 28th so if need be I can record on one of those few days before i leave again.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:10 pm 

recorded a new song last night and today
http://youtu.be/iakjweDPPrk

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:39 pm 

That's pretty awesome! I'd love to hear more.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:59 pm 

Bro, that riff at like the 2:10 is dope. That's really good.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:39 am 

thanks, the only other original song i have recorded is http://youtu.be/BaaVozJ55Qc
it's more melancholy than blasphemy though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:50 am 

I do like the other one more, but this one was pretty damn high quality as well. Both of them work well together. good job!

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 am 

Great stuff man.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:03 am 

Agreed; I liked For Their Gods... a bit more than Chapel of Flesh, but both were very good. Also, your username felt really familiar, so I was pleased to find out it was the title of a Portal song. :)

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:48 pm 

yeah I was very into Outre and Seepia for a while. i remember driving my girlfriend home from a pseudovacation (3 hour drive) and we were driving in the heaviest snowstorm i have ever seen. the highway was covered with snow, there were cars in the ditches, you could see maybe 5 meters in front of you. so i cranked Portal so loud we could do nothing but listen to it and drive through the abyss. :]

as for those songs they are definitely different styles. ive been in too many bands that only lasted a few shows or one demo to care about giving my 'one man band' a name or style, right now the songs are just entries in a journal or something.

it's nice to hear positive feedback, draug and hellige (downloaded that demo, first song was great) are both very sick!

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:56 am 

Thanks man, by the way, haven't seen ya posting around here afore, you should check this thread

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90167

I'm interested in reading the lyrics for Chapel by the way, mind uploading them?

Last edited by garthmargengi on Tue May 22, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:12 am 

Appreciate the download! I hope you do some more hell I'd def like to hear more like the portalesce one if you feel so inclined.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:07 am 

garthmargengi wrote:
I'm interested in reading the lyrics for Chapel by the way, mind uploading them?

I can post them here. I'd rather not have them on the youtube page because I don't want to discuss them with my grandmother next thanksgiving dinner.

"The hymns of agony seep through the cracks of black doors
The song of a thousand bodies, moaning in tired anguish
In a perpetual state of dying, condemned for eternity
Their mutilated bodies form the chapel of flesh

Faceless priests utter prayers no mortal tongue can speak
Writing their demonic verses in the bile of the half-living
Bathing in the soft trickle of bodily fluids that drip
Rotting walls vomit their song as a pulsating mass of gore"

its just imagery - i've always like the idea of your typically catholic vision of hell having literary anal sex with lovecraftian devices. i will certainly make more, it'll just be a matter of time.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 pm 

If anyone still remembers the piece I wrote that never got orchestrated, the one with dissonant opening and supposed-to-be choir parts, well I have some good and bad news for you. The bad news is that I still haven't orchestrated it :ugh:. I should borrow the orchestration book by Rimsky-Korsakov again... The good news is that I'm up to something similar that will surpass my previous work.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:28 pm 

ArtificialStupidity wrote:
I should borrow the orchestration book by Rimsky-Korsakov again...

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/for ... on-On-line

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:42 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
ArtificialStupidity wrote:
I should borrow the orchestration book by Rimsky-Korsakov again...

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/for ... on-On-line

Sometimes I love this forum.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:59 am 

I've just uploaded a full song of the upcoming Forestfather album (in pre production tho, I need to send the tracks to studio). Rumpusaurus is doing the vocals, SLK the drums and I handle the rest of the instruments.

http://www.reverbnation.com/c./poni/113364637

I won't be mixing this, but I would like to have your impressions about the song.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:44 pm 

I'm quite happy with it. if I'd add anything is reverb to the vocals. cause I love some reverb. I'm glad the bass isn't lost in the distance.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm 

Oh yea, new yzordderrex album is up for listening and pre-order. Finalized the mix and tracklisthing over the week while I was out of town.

additionally I wasn't able to accomplish much in recording today.

recorded vocals for the 25 min long yzordderrex ep that'll be released in a couple of months when I get the time to mix it properly once I'm home.

recorded another corpse Arise song, another uzumaki song, a drum track for a new project Slog, and 2 more Kamikaze Pilots songs. since I have a 3 day holiday I plan on going and recording some more. another 3 hours should give me enough time to knock out another slog drum track, and some drums for exequy and hopefully wrap up this corpse arise ep.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:18 pm 

I've started a new project, since my bandmate basically gave up. It's a one man project inspired by Deathspell Omega, Gorguts, Negativa, Baring Teeth, etc. I've been looking up some jazzy stuff to try and incorporate into this. Do you guys have any tips on writing crazy off-the-wall riffs like the bands mentioned? I've written one song that's a bit more melodic but this next one I've been working on is comparable to something from Fas mixed with Obscura.

Really fucking excited for this.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:04 pm 

Wrote another sludge song and officially started practicing with a drummer for a sludge/hardcore band. Got 4 songs down and counting. Really, really, really, really excited for this. After playing shitty basement shows I desire a taste for playing in real venues and metal shows and doing something. Been playing guitar for almost 7 years and I have very little to show for it so hopefully I can do something with this.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
I've started a new project, since my bandmate basically gave up. It's a one man project inspired by Deathspell Omega, Gorguts, Negativa, Baring Teeth, etc. I've been looking up some jazzy stuff to try and incorporate into this. Do you guys have any tips on writing crazy off-the-wall riffs like the bands mentioned? I've written one song that's a bit more melodic but this next one I've been working on is comparable to something from Fas mixed with Obscura.

pretty much throw out all your standard playing out the window and approach more of trying to create certain sounds by any means necessary and not what chords or pickings might create those sounds. also taking a view on youtube the guitar covers people do of those bands.. that way you can see more upclose how some of those certain riffs are created. Or some of the recording vids like of Negativa or Baring Teeth.

Violent_Possessor, I hope you get that shit recorded pretty soon. that sounds like it would be awesome.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:35 am 

Filling in on bass for a friend's band at a festival in July. Apparently we're playign with Skid Row, so this should be easily the largest crowd I've played for.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

RabbitOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:38 pm 

We played a disastrous bar show on Friday. The band before us played for an hour and a half, so we didn't go on until well after 1 am. Most of the people that came to see us had to leave before we went on, and apparently last call was at 2, so we ended up playing less than half an hour. Set went alright, but we had to cut a lot of our setlist and the last song was rushed due to the bar owner yelling at us to wrap it up. Also, since we're a 2 piece, I run my guitar through a bass amp as well, and the sound guy refused to mic it (I assume due to laziness and us being the last band). Between that and the total lack of monitors, the drummer had trouble hearing me.

The 7 people who were still there for our set were enthusiastic, though. Shame that the guy who booked it (it was his birthday show) left before we finished and did not pay us as we had agreed on. Really, the former is worse than the latter in my mind.

The booking process has been really frustrating for me, so any tips that you guys may have would be much appreciated. The main problem is that we're just starting out, and promoters want you to draw X people, but we can't draw X people until we play shows to get our name out there.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:30 am 

SweetSilence wrote:

Awesome! I've been wondering where you've been. Hope you're able to get everything settled.

I would suggest focusing on 'alien' intervals like minor ninths or minor seconds (which you can accomplish quite easily on the 2nd and 3rd strings). Throw in some tapping perhaps? It's all a bit hard to replicate but that's what I have been able to observe from the music of those bands.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 am 

Last night, my doom band jammed out a new song, that sounds fucking brilliant. Kind of a Sleep/Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats/Kyuss vibe going on, it was so good. I was also drumming surprisingly well considering that I'd been up for ~36 hours doing college work...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 185  Next