Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:24 pm 

ASS, excellent!!! . . . now off to go get signed to Nuclear Blast and become the world's biggest extreme metal band!!

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
guys, I was wondering if someone could sort of give me some help making a band name for a black/death/thrash band. It's related to that project I said I was starting a while back. Haven't been able to think of anything good at all.

If you're going for a really cliched name, Satanic Blood Orgy might work :-P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 pm 

Porman wrote:
Listen up! And that means you too SLK (you wanted more Phidion, right?)

Well, here's a teaser on what's to come out in a few weeks. Stuff been sent for print and we will only release the full EP as a physical cd. Meaning, no fucking mp3's!

http://phidion.bandcamp.com/

Very awsome! I'm enjoying it. let me know when you get this in. I'm just to buy or trade.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
guys, I was wondering if someone could sort of give me some help making a band name for a black/death/thrash band. It's related to that project I said I was starting a while back. Haven't been able to think of anything good at all.

Osteoporosis Reign Supreme. Sometimes the answers are closer than you think.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 pm 

Working on the final mix for the new Filtheater ep. starting on layout this evening as well.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:00 am 

Porman wrote:

Well, here's a teaser on what's to come out in a few weeks. Stuff been sent for print and we will only release the full EP as a physical cd. Meaning, no fucking mp3's!

This sounds really cool. It's got a sort of Finnish vibe, which I dig.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Porman wrote:

Very awsome! I'm enjoying it. let me know when you get this in. I'm just to buy or trade.

Thanks!
I take about 2-3 months to write a song, sometimes even longer.

I'll brief you when I get the final product in my hands.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:15 pm 

I just recorded two songs of me singing and playing acoustic guitar. One song was Acid Bath's "Bleed Me An Ocean" and the other was Dead Kennedy's "Lets Lynch The Landlord". While it isn't great, I've finally gotten to the point where my vocals aren't entirely embarrassing anymore, which I'm very happy about.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 pm 

Good god 2-3 months to write a single song? I don't think I've spent more than maybe 2 hours on a song tops. in 2-3 months I've written multiple albums in different genres but that's already obvious.

today did 10 drum tracks for a grind band, wrote and recorded 5 songs for owwnt, wrote a new CA song and recorded it, and did vocals to 2 yzord tracks that along ago meant for a split will now be thrown on a comp of all the yzord songs I've done for challenges on here.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:58 am 

I take my time :D
Remember, quality over quantity. Haha.

I'm very picky with my riffs and I don't know how many times I have re-arranged or thrown away a part after going back to it. It was easier when I was younger, because I didn't have anything to compare it to. It's just that I tend to want to raise the bar every time and write better stuff than the previous release. I also find that writing more melodic stuff is easier as I tend to follow the melody and write around that. Thing is, we play death metal so that doesn't work with Phidion.

I mean, is it a coincidence that we tend to like a bands earlier stuff rather than their new?

Add that with the fact that I have a family and no time to be alone except late at night.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:06 pm 

So I'm going to be on a 7" comp with 50 other bands. Similar to the Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh comps on Slap-A-Ham. There is going to be a few japanese noise artists on as well as some guy from Germany. If anyone wants to contribute a 15 second or less track of grindcore/noise/hardcore/whatever contact me.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:12 pm 

Porman wrote:
I take my time :D
Remember, quality over quantity. Haha.

I'm very picky with my riffs and I don't know how many times I have re-arranged or thrown away a part after going back to it. It was easier when I was younger, because I didn't have anything to compare it to. It's just that I tend to want to raise the bar every time and write better stuff than the previous release. I also find that writing more melodic stuff is easier as I tend to follow the melody and write around that. Thing is, we play death metal so that doesn't work with Phidion.

I mean, is it a coincidence that we tend to like a bands earlier stuff rather than their new?

Add that with the fact that I have a family and no time to be alone except late at night.

I can understand all that but I guess how I see it... I aim for quality with every single song I wrote. I just happen to get them arranged and put together a lot faster than most. And that's even on average throwing away 3-5 riffs per actual riff that goes into a song. So that's always been slightly aggrivating when someone says that to me just because they are slower at composing than I am. As if that truely makes any difference... just like the last guitarist we had in 54R with him writting... it would literally take him 2 weeks to write a very old school crust/grind song....which was only 3 riffs... cycle back and forth for 2 minutes.... it wasn't good and when I said... goddamn it took you 2 weeks to just write that he said 'man quality over quanity' which I replied...'would work if it was actually quality but this is tired throw away shit you scraped off disfear's jam room.'

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:24 pm 

Anyway what I went and did this morning after waking at 430Am

Recorded vocals for the 2nd song for this other short yzord ep (2 songs 22mins roughly)
wrote and recorded 3 more owwnt songs
recorded the 3 KP songs I wrote while out of town with nothing. didn't have to change but maybe how 2 things were played
wrote 2 Draug songs and recorded them and then went on and did the vocals for the 4 songs to have the ep ready for release.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:32 pm 

Porman wrote:

Sounds good, but the guitar tone isn't monstrous enough to match the riffs!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:33 pm 

Yea that would be my one complaint it's all a tad too clean. but still i'll def pick it up.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:51 pm 

No offense meant there, SLK. What I meant was, if I rush things more then I will end up scrapping more riffs than I already do. I guess I'm very hard on myself when it comes to writing.

About the guitar tone, I didn't want to mush it up too much on this one. Nice and clear was what I wanted. Tried the old gain to the max on the previous demo and it turned to mush. Nothing is worse than good songs where you have a crappy guitar sound where you can barely hear what is going on.

Next time, I'll throw in a guitar track played through a crappy guitar and an HM-2 in the mix.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:09 pm 

I understand, and I know you weren't attacking me or anything I guess it's one of those keywords/phrases that I immediately associate with a sour ass note/time.

And sometimes that good mush is what makes those riffs! that's what I do with draug... lol. the pedal makes the riffs so much better than what they actually are.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:39 pm 

I was way more active when I was younger, didn't have a woman and no kids.

I wrote my first two or three songs when I was 20, before I even had a band. After that I started up Ruins of Time, I think from March to June I managed to write one song, all this while rehearsing and trying to run things within the band, as well as doing the Sauron side project with the guitarist where I also wrote music and lyrics.

I had this great creative period during my vacation in Greece where I bought a cheap acoustic and wrote two new songs for Ruins of Time and a bunch of black metal songs for Sauron. I don't ever think I'll manage to do that again, everything was much more innocent back then and I didn't compare myself to other stuff. I got inspired by it rather than feeling the pressure of not being able to write such great stuff as the bands I listened to.

Now, I take my time and just try to do it whenever I can. I can't sit for hours with the guitar in my hands while watching tv or whatever anymore, so I whenever I play I hope I might get lucky and come up with stuff.

I wont bore you much more with this. :D

I already have two and a half new songs made anyway so I'm way ahead with things, considering I had to replace every member in the band.

Last edited by Porman on Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:55 pm 

Oh I totally understand that. I've opted not to have kids and thankfully my wife likes that I spend some time away from the house and doesn't need me constantly up her ass or vice versa. I've actually been more active in the last 2 years than I was with all the bands I was participating in. I would write with those bands but never full constructs more or less collabs, input on structure and additional riffage cause out of the 5 active bands I was playing in.. only one was on bass the rest i was playing drums. And now since I don't have all those bands anymore I pretty much have all that freedom to do what I want when I want which I'm really happy about. Usually i just think about how I'm going to structure stuff and think up riffs but I don't really sit around the house writing material. It's not often to say the least though I do have a guitar here with me. I have to totally focus on playing it if I do use it otherwise I don't even bother in picking it up.

Solid at least you have 2 and that is pretty impressive since you had to can the entire band basically.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:38 pm 

I didn't fire anyone. Everyone left on good terms.

Vocalist had to leave because lack of time (had twins in October), bass player pretty much the same but only one kid and a wife that works freelance and during the evenings.

Drummer had some personal family issues that made him lose focus and had lost his spark.

Original drummer left because of work related issues and had to relocate. Original guitarist (who still is my best friend) left because he got bored with extreme metal.

The only one I had to fire was the drummer who rehearsed with us for about half a year, when he started making demands on how we should work.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:46 pm 

lol that's hilarious when you get someone in new who thinks they have some huge insight on how everyone needs to work. That's always annoying and a quick doorway out of the band.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:44 pm 

That particular drummer is actually somewhat of a veteran in the Stockholm scene. It's just that we had different views on why and when we should rehearse. No bad blood though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:52 pm 

That's not what I want to hear. I want to hear about how it was a knock down drag out fight!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:06 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
lol that's hilarious when you get someone in new who thinks they have some huge insight on how everyone needs to work. That's always annoying and a quick doorway out of the band.

I hate that shit. I've had to remind past bandmates that we're not in fucking Foreigner many, many times.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:25 pm 

I'd win. Hands down.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:27 pm 

I usually tell people where the door is. I have no problem being a prick cause it's wasting my time. I've had it more so with people just starting out jamming with me. I figure might as well get rid of the useless before it becomes a hassel

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:04 am 

pulled this all together this weekend.... meaning the layout and mixing. Finished the vocals on sat morning.
http://yzordderrex.bandcamp.com/album/m ... -and-death

on to finish the next

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:07 pm 

Put this together as well more so just finalizing the mix and all the layout

http://filtheater.bandcamp.com/album/noctivagant

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:00 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Put this together as well more so just finalizing the mix and all the layout

http://filtheater.bandcamp.com/album/noctivagant

Fuck dude, sweet art! Digging the songs as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:04 pm 

Thanks! I appreciate it! I feel I'm finally getting a hang of drawing up some interesting shit. lol.

How's the mix on the songs? Glad you are digging the songwritting at least... and yes it's kinda noisy and raw on purpose. it's what i love.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:14 pm 

Yeah, I like the new stuff you draw. Very minimalistic, I like using only pencils myself.

Next artwork I do on my own, I will use colour pencils!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:22 pm 

I've never really had much luck with color pencils but I might try again at some point and see if I can capture what I want with them. I've always been more of a black and white fan in artwork. I guess it kinda just draws your eye to the form more than anything else and you aren't sidetracked with any colors.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:35 pm 

I tend to use very cold colours, almost making them seem greyish.

One of my favourite album covers using colours in a great way is Repugnant's Epitome of Darkness.

Spoiler: show

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:39 pm 

Yes I like it cause it's more of a wash of the colors. very minimal. You can still focus on the main forms and it actually ties the collage together more.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:41 pm 

Have a look at Total Deäth's last two demo covers if you like b/w.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:46 pm 

I just looked through a bunch of the Total Deäth covers.. none looked specifically interesting and some were just horrid.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:54 pm 

I thought they fit the theme of the band. It wasn't a very serious band, so the comic style splatter covers were at the time the right option. I didn't pay jack for them either so...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:55 pm 

Well that's all the better! I'm not a fan of the pretty much childish scribble it looks like. Never cared for any band's art that looked like that color or not. just makes me not buy it.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:01 pm 

Well, the sins of youth... As they say. All part of the growing up process.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:05 pm 

No excuses! Be born old!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 185  Next