Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:42 pm 

Oh, and I kinda want to make a semihollow, for the few times I use clean guitar tones in my music. 40 seconds' worth of music per album is enough justification to build a new guitar. Plus, I want to try to make a semihollow flying V. Maybe put some old vintage pickups in it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:59 am 

Hell that 40 secs per album adds up, so it's fair enough to build one! haha.

i've always liked Icemans as well but had never picked one up. My main project to fix is my ironbird, needs some new pickups and I think it has some wiring problems. Just haven't bothered as of yet.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:58 am 

I've played a friend's Iceman before and it's really comfortable. Just didn't like the sound of the Blackouts in it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:32 am 

I'm most likely putting a seymour duncan JB in it. Probably something cheap in the neck position, just to fill the spot visually, since I don't use the neck pickup ever.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:40 am 

Then why bother adding a pickup to it? Just leave it empty or stuff some candy in it :D

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:40 pm 

A chocolate bar, you could take it out midshow and eat it.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 pm 

Recording guitars for the doom challenge. It's hard to time stuff well when playing slow.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:24 pm 

I know what you mean. Sometimes I write my riffs and play them out and then play the drums closer to what they need to be not directly following the riffs, only roughly and then re-recording the guitars to fit the drums.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:37 pm 

I had some trouble when I had the rough draft playing in the background since I was following that and it was sloppy. It's also too damn hot in here, I hate recording when it's not cold outside because even with a fan in my window and a pleasant 64 degrees outside, it's still at least 80 in here. I don't know why people think the north is grim, freezing weather helps to offset the head of wearing headphones and having a computer putting off tons of heat. I tried aiming the fan at myself and the strings started ringing rather than fully sustaining :( How do you manage to record in the shed with hot weather down there - good air conditioning? :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 pm 

There is barely any air in my shed. I strip down to my underware and boots, sometimes down to the boots alone.

I hate recording when it's cold. it'll make me sick cause even if it's 60 degrees inside (which it has in some places I've recorded before...) I sweat regardless. and if i'm sweating and it's immediately cold I just get cold but continue to sweat and basically start freezing myself.

I hate the cold, if i was going to move I would move even further south on to the equator so I would never have cold weather at all. I'm a reptile, I'm cold blooded and need to be constantly sunned and warmed.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:55 pm 

Agreed, cold weather sucks for pretty much anything; you need a constantly well-heated place and even then it's not enough, because you'll need at least half an hour worth of warming up your throat so you can sing (and sometimes it's still not enough), and the very same with defrosting your fingers when you want to play any instrument. I started to hate the winter after I decided to make a career out of singing, now I just want to move somewhere on the south of Brazil, the winters there are warm but the summer doesn't kill ya with the blistering heat.

On a side note, I'm trying to sell my bass already to get ahold of a five stringer, I feel like I'm doing some really nice progress!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:06 am 

I don't prefer recording in the cold, it's just easier to keep the heat under control when it is cooler. When it's too warm, I end up feeling tired and making mistakes and quitting early because it's exhausting. It's a tough balance, I need to figure out a better way to manage it.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:17 am 

You should consider saving to invest in an air conditioner, makes a huge difference. Also, keep well hydrated; a bottle of water with two spoons of sugar and a pinch of salt in it works miracles for me.
I still find it easier to deal with the heat, as long as I keep well hydrated I can manage. I will grant however that there are some days where you just can't put up with it, the climate here (in Buenos Aires) sucks big time, humidity is rarely under 90%, there are days in the summer when you feel you're wading thru yoghurt rather than ir.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:31 am 

SLK: I know what you're going through. I have something called Hyperhidrosis and a normal body temperature of 35-36 degrees C (95 - 97 Fahreinheit).

I'm not a reptile though. I'm a fucking polar bear (or maybe a penguin).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 am 

haha well i went with the cool blooded refrence cause they can't stand the cold/can't survive in it. So that's how I feel, both polar bears and penguin are warm blooded and can generate their old body head quite well.

I just have never liked the cold, I never can seem to get warm enough but I can always find ways to cool down. and what's horrid is I do generate a ton of body heat but it's to the point where I sweat and then it cools me down. Happens a ton with my feet, I might have well insulated socks on in the winter with my work boots and after an hour my feet are freezing.

The heat I feel actually propells me to push further and I don't really get tired while recording in it. Usually when I get tired from recording is when I've done a lot of writing so I get mentally exhausted before I get physically exhausted.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:14 am 

Weather conditions never bothered me when it comes to recording. I've done it both during the summer and winter in our rehearsal space. That place is without windows and a tin covered roof with no air conditioning.

I can and have done 10 hour sessions when recording. Sadly, that was not the way we worked in the band, but from now on it's my way again!
Meaning, play it over and over until it's there!

Last edited by Porman on Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:35 am 

In my old apartment I used to do push ups and jumping jacks before playing guitar because it was damn cold that I could barely feel my fingers. One bathroom was constantly at 48 Fahrenheit (8.8 Celsius) in the winter. I preferred the cold though because I could always layer more clothes on to stay warm but in the heat you can only get so naked. Once I would start playing I would be able to maintain enough body heat to keep decent blood flow to my fingers and keep going as if it were not at all cold.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44 am 

For me it's not so much the heat that makes me overheat, but the humidity. Right now it's raining and it's 8,5 Celcius but I still sweat after walking outside for a while.

I can't understand how people can play live in a small, packed club in the summer with 40 Celsius without breaking a sweat.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:57 am 

garthmargengi wrote:
You should consider saving to invest in an air conditioner, makes a huge difference. Also, keep well hydrated; a bottle of water with two spoons of sugar and a pinch of salt in it works miracles for me.
I still find it easier to deal with the heat, as long as I keep well hydrated I can manage. I will grant however that there are some days where you just can't put up with it, the climate here (in Buenos Aires) sucks big time, humidity is rarely under 90%, there are days in the summer when you feel you're wading thru yoghurt rather than ir.

I have an air conditioner, I took it out before the first night that would be around 40 degrees (fahrenheit). New England weather is notoriously weird and unpredictable (it's where all the cold air from Canada meets the hot air coming up from DC ;)). The other problem with AC is that a regular air conditioner that goes in a window is going to end up adding some noise in the background.

I started with Gatorade yesterday and switched to beer a bit later, it worked out pretty well.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:33 am 

One of the tuning pegs on my only electric guitar broke off and I lost it (long story). I'm too broke to get a new one and the string slowly went out of tune until it was one step lower than the others. So I decided to tune an additional step down, to C. Temporary solution, but it's the first time I do it and it sounds great. Much thicker.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:27 am 

I love C standard. It's so much deeper and heavier than D, but it's definitely clearer than B.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 am 

On average I tune down to A and G. if you have the right strings and intunation it all sounds clear. Just all in how you care and setup your guitar.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:21 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
On average I tune down to A and G. if you have the right strings and intunation it all sounds clear. Just all in how you care and setup your guitar.

What strings do you use?

I've been enjoying working with standard tuning - I think I managed to get the doom challenge song pretty heavy without tuning down - heavy doom without tuning down and without growling is certainly a challenge that I'm up to!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:30 pm 

I can't quite get back into standard tuning, but I do enjoy D standard a good bit. It has the clarity of standard, just a bit heavier, but not low enough that it's boomy or muddy or drowns out the bass guitar.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:03 am 

I used to use Drop A a lot, I started using C# standard for my black/death metal project. Drop A is a pain in the ass tbh, don't like having to change strings constantly and trying to get a decent tone out of it.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:12 am 

Ernie Ball strings I don't remember what kind exactly. It's been awhile since I had to change them.

never had the problems that are described above about having to change strings constantly or getting a decent tone or drowning out the bass guitar. So whenever I hear people say that I tend to look more at them and their gear than the tuning they attempted to use as the fault.

And I didn't use drop it's A and G standard. I really can't stand playing drop anything. it doesn't feel right. And it's just that if I want to get lower I just tune everything lower. It's not an issue.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 am 

I never find downtuning gives the boomy or bassy problem, unless of course you don't EQ accordingly or buy proper gear :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:01 pm 

Exactly!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm 

What do you folks think of either having a small question megathread to condense a lot of the small, low-content threads into one? The other thing I was considering was renaming this thread to direct brief/simple questions here, since it's already somewhat of an on-topic chat thread. I know you all have opinions, let me know!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:30 pm 

I hate the megathreads in all the forums and pretty much avoid them for the most part. If I wasn't there from the begining I usually don't give a shit. the ones I do use I'm forced to use.

I really don't get why all the forums have this problem thinking they have too many threads, esp ones that are locked and have been locked for years... just delete them. who cares?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:39 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I hate the megathreads in all the forums and pretty much avoid them for the most part. If I wasn't there from the begining I usually don't give a shit. the ones I do use I'm forced to use.

I really don't get why all the forums have this problem thinking they have too many threads, esp ones that are locked and have been locked for years... just delete them. who cares?

I get sick of looking at threads that basically need one sentence to resolve. I'm thinking of unsticking some of the extra stickies that aren't really used - songwriting challenge thread is a good reference, lyrical feedback quarantines a lot of awful stuff to one place, and the recording/mixing threads are excellent (though new info isn't added very often.

The guitarists' thread is used very little for how much guitar talk there is, the drummers thread has been pretty dead for a while, the vocalists thread is active on-and-off. Would anyone object if I unstickied those?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm 

unstick them. the only one I visit is the songwriting challenge thread.

I've never even clicked the other ones cause I really don't want offer any advice/read any advice/ discuss guitar or drum tech or techinques/ read anyone's shitty poetry/ or discuss how i should choke on a mic like a cock.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:00 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
unstick them. the only one I visit is the songwriting challenge thread.

I've never even clicked the other ones cause I really don't want offer any advice/read any advice/ discuss guitar or drum tech or techinques/ read anyone's shitty poetry/ or discuss how i should choke on a mic like a cock.

The lyrical feedback one is more of a quarantine than anything IMO.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:09 pm 

Oh that's fine and prefer it's stuck there. Keep all the horrid in one place to burn it all.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:39 pm 

Yeah, I pretty much despise reading other people's shitty lyrics and "poetry". My own are shitty enough.

On a side note, I have 27 days until I fly out of this shithole and get back to the states. I can't wait. The downside is that all of my stuff is getting shipped via boat, so it'll take a while to get there (1-2 months). So musically speaking, I'll have nothing but my laptop and 1 guitar. I might put the new Iceman body I just bought in my suitcase, and finish putting everything together when I get to the states. Then I'd have two. Oh well, I need to buy a new desktop computer anyway, so I'll just save all my music stuff on an external harddrive, buy a new computer, and put it on there.

And my new bass should be here any day. I'm excited.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:24 am 

Where are you?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 pm 

Actually I'm facing a small problem. I've written A LOT of stuff and since my home studio seems to be insufficient to have the recording quality I want and need, I'll have to score all the shit to get into a real studio and then record stuff. I've been thinking on just to demoing the stuff, but it takes a lot of time, which I don't have, so I'll start writing one by one until I'm done (I don't have this problem with Vahset since I write few songs and demo them immediately after writing them)

With that in mind, I think I'll have to decide soon who'll be the next set of songs for the Forestfather's next album.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:32 pm 

Looking forward to tackling the next step and hopefully with more time to write and practice for it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:41 am 

Porman wrote:
Where are you?

I'm in South Korea, about 10 miles south of the North Korean border. It sucks, every time those assholes sneeze we're alerted and ready to go to war. It gets old after a while, and by a while I mean like 5 minutes. Were I stationed a bit further south, like down in Seoul, it would be much better, but we're the first line defense, so we have an extremely high op-tempo.

I'm flying back to California, picking up my wife, and driving over to Maryland. I can't wait!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 am 

First show of my first tour tomorrow. I'm actually really looking forward to it, as every show on the tour has been pushed really hard by both the bands on them and the promoters.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 185  Next