Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:27 pm 

Looking for recommendations on drum sample packs. For about 10 years I've basically used drum machines for simple demos and never really cared too much about the samples as long as they were approximate. Now I want to get a bit more serious with programming drums and need a sound that's not so clicky like many "metal drum" packs I've heard, something with more oomph and presence. It's also necessary that each instrument has several recordings for layering. Cheers folks.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:30 pm 

My firepod is down. so far I've narrowed it down to either the firewire cable or it's the firepod. So I'm buying a firewire tmwr and testing it out. if that doesn't work then I have to send it off to get repaired. Goddamn.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:41 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
My firepod is down. so far I've narrowed it down to either the firewire cable or it's the firepod. So I'm buying a firewire tmwr and testing it out. if that doesn't work then I have to send it off to get repaired. Goddamn.

Damn dude, that sucks. :(

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:58 pm 

Yea it does. I blame you totally for it.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:25 pm 

Maybe if that Firepod wasn't such a little bitch, it might've lived longer. :p

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:22 pm 

maybe if your face didn't look so much like a pussy I wouldn't have fucked it so hard.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:35 pm 

that's racist bro

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:45 pm 

that's rapist you mean.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:59 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Looking for recommendations on drum sample packs. For about 10 years I've basically used drum machines for simple demos and never really cared too much about the samples as long as they were approximate. Now I want to get a bit more serious with programming drums and need a sound that's not so clicky like many "metal drum" packs I've heard, something with more oomph and presence. It's also necessary that each instrument has several recordings for layering. Cheers folks.

I am personally quite a fan of this sample pack. Joe Baressi Evil Drums (I use the Superior Drummer 2.0 version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1WSX-40j9s

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:09 pm 

Just finished recording and writing rhythm/lead guitar parts for a song I started working on last weekend I think. Turned out to be very influenced by Death Strike, Repulsion, Incanation, Immolation, Electric Wizard, and Saint Vitus I'd say. Trying to mix the kinds of parts up and stitch them together in interesting ways, going from crust riffs to death/black 80s riffs to more spacey and psychedelic lead jams. Definitely a lot of fun to make, basically all of my current favorite sounds mixed into one song. :)
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 pm 

It's going to sound like the Killers.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 am 

Been in touch with my band mates from my band back in High School, No One Lives. Just talking about the good old days and how fun it was to write the music we did at such a young age and how we all put our own input into the music and just had fun with it without taking it too seriously. If things work out for us we may do a show or two just for old time sake and do a set that would be a bit of a "History Lesson" from the first songs we ever wrote, to the terrible Punk Rock songs we wrote for our spin off project, to the decent Death Metal songs we finished with.

I'm all for it, but its just a matter of finding time to jam and relearn all that old stuff!

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:05 am 

Recorded around 3 minutes worth of riffs this morning. Need to work on spicing a few of them up, tightening my playing, and turning the riff-pile into an actual song.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:06 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
...need to work on spicing a few of them up, tightening my playing, and turning the riff-pile into an actual song.

This is what I'm going through now with the newer Spawning Vats stuff I'm working on. Trying to bridge the gap between my Holocaust In Your Head type riffs and the ugly Autopsy type riffs without making it sound forced or lazy.

I've also begun to draw up a concept for a type of surf-influenced metal/punk solo project I really want to get moving...we'll see what happens.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:27 pm 

throw your surf punk in the garbage!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:27 pm 

In just under a week my band is going on our first proper tour. 7 shows in 10 days, with a giant assload of driving in between. I haven't actually added it all up but it's somewhere around 60 hours. Stupid, spacious, western Canada.

Anyone got any advice for a first tour? Amusing anecdotes or horror stories?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:56 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
throw your surf punk in the garbage!

You can throw deez in the garbage! For real though, got some more shit in the works for SV, once I move at the end of the month I'll let you know when I can drive back down and we can get back to work, sucka.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:30 pm 

awesome awesome. I'll have everything ready as far as the art n mix for the first lot of shit. I'd like to have it for that fear fete convention I'm doing in Oct.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 pm 

Just got done refreshing myself on the tracks for the next Dalla Nebbia album. Can't wait to record it! We have another special guest taking part on it, and wow.... I cannot wait to hear what he has done! Can't announce yet :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 pm 

Hopefully he don't fuck it up!

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:47 pm 

Went back to Oklahoma for a couple of weeks back in June and got a cheapo BC Rich Mockingbird to fuck around with, and just been practicing with Vesicant since I got back cause we have a couple of shows coming up (one on the 19th and one on the 2nd of August). I'll try to have them recorded since they will be my first shows.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:47 pm 

Looking to buy a second firepod. I saw a few for cheap on ebay.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:50 pm 

started doing the final mixes for the new Yzordderrex album.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:54 pm 

here is a track from that upcoming album:

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:49 am 

I haven't done a damn thing musically in a long time. I just need to properly master my tracks and fix some minor mistakes and slops, and I'll put a digital on bandcamp.

My vocalist in Merihim is on this idea of him doing a solo black metal song before messing with the band again. Which is fine and dandy with me, but he wants me to session his material and I'm honestly not looking forward to that. Good riff writer, but not a good songwriter. I can't be spending 80% of the time trying to explain to him why certain sections don't go together, and the difference between 3/4 timed licks and why they don't work in a 4/4 song.

In other words, he has no idea how to write a song besides taking some riffs and tossing them in.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:25 pm 

Been working a lot on a half-time and double-time exercise recently to build on my speed for soloing and results are coming surprisingly fast. In fact, after ten minutes of pushing my limit with a metronome I can already see a difference. And the exercise has just 4 notes!

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 am 

I'm trying to build a band to record some songs I wrote for the EP "Ensolarados" of a Latin American nationalist black metal project called "Seremos Todos Triunfantes". I'm tired of room black metal, Gulag's bassist is up to it and I'm convincing Dirty Mary's drummer, but I don't know if I can take their parts for sure.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:01 pm 

somefella wrote:
Been working a lot on a half-time and double-time exercise recently to build on my speed for soloing and results are coming surprisingly fast. In fact, after ten minutes of pushing my limit with a metronome I can already see a difference. And the exercise has just 4 notes!

share that shit with me.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 am 

Ask me on facebook again. Doesn't seem like your kinda thing but what the heck.

My vocalist aka producer and I have had extremely conflicting schedules recently so it's been hard to get shit done but we spent a couple of hours today tweaking our setup/rig for recording guitars. Got a monstrous sound dialed in, time to die in death metal violence fuckers.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:56 pm 

The mastering process for the debut album from my Atmospheric Doom band is finally complete! Maybe a couple tweaks here and there, but we think its sounding great! We are currently in talks with a pretty reputable label to get it released through them, so hope they like how the final copy turned out! Can't wait to get this out and done!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 pm 

I'm just working on my new cabs waiting till I can record again. :/

Occultcannibal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:39 pm 

Slowly working on a currently untitled black metal project with the dude from Sigillvm.
Also going to start recording Wends. for new Zombie Raiders tracks with SLK, as well as songs for my death/doom band Xvart (also with SLK), a few drum tracks for Necromania (trying to mix crushing doom with pitchshifted goregrind vocals, kind of like Gored mixed with Electric Wizard). And i'm somewhat debating restarting my Nunslaughter worship band Ancient Slumber, but i'm not too certain on that last one.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:30 pm 

Just rehearsed the cover song for the upcoming album. We never ever play covers except for those recorded (Into The Grave and The Voyage) and we always mix them up pretty good so they don't sound like the original, so it was a big shot in the arm for me. Absolutely crushing, can't wait to get it down on record along with the rest of the songs. I think a tentative release date should be by the end of the year at the very very latest.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:07 pm 

Just opened and uploaded a track for my drone/sludge/ambient band (ex-band?) sunn bro))). The one track on there is from our first show we did in a basement. One hour long, free download. Check it out! It was all improv. About 3 years ago.

http://sunnbro.bandcamp.com/

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:03 am 

Just did my first ever live show tonight. Went really well, other than I should've turned my amp up more (just for reference, I'm playing the lead on the Fleshcrawl cover). Out of all of the bands playing (mostly punk bands) we definitely had the best audience. Unfortunately was not able to use my Ampeg, since it kinda cuts out randomly. I think there's a loose wire in the input jack, but I'm not sure. Gonna try to take it in somewhere and see if they can take a look soon. Anyways, here's a vid:

(P.S. I'm the guitarist with long hair)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:51 am 

cool deal^^ but to me it's not right playing death metal out of combo amps.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:32 am 

Nice one Unlife, looks like the crowd was into it.

I just got back from the eastern jog my bands tour. We covered over 2600 km (about 1600 miles) for only two shows in the last 2 and a half days. Which is ridiculous, but that's about all you can do in these goddamn wide open prairies. The shows were only okay, but at least we made enough cash to cover expenses. One of the shows was at this weird place that had a vibe somewhere between sketchy dive bar and goth night club. They even had a chain link fence in front of the stage!

Spoiler: show

Fortunately it didn't go all Blues Brothers on us and no bottles were thrown. The western leg should be a bit better, it's about the same distance but for 5 shows over 5 days.

Occultcannibal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:40 pm 

^Nice man, what band do you play in?

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:38 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
shows were only okay, but at least we made enough cash to cover expenses.

Good luck on the rest of the tour!
As long as you make money to cover traveling, food, and lodging (if needed) then you're set. My band did a tour a year ago from Seattle to Spokane to Boise to Salt Lake City, to Denver, to Montana and the money we spent was jsut out the ass... and it didn't help that the shows were next to empty, so it was pretty much all out of pocket the whole trip. What really killed it was that we broke down on the way to our first show, and I was the only one with the money on hand to cover the repair for it, fucking sucked. The word "Tour" has been a black cloud to me ever since :lol: . Hope it goes well for ya, man!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 pm 

Occultcannibal wrote:
^Nice man, what band do you play in?

A new wave band called Cygnets. I dabble in metal from time to time and it's most of what I listen to so I end up posting here.

And yeah, thanks John, if we break even I will be very happy. It's been fun so far, though I can't say I've really enjoyed eating mainly fast food and shitting in gas station washrooms :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 185  Next