Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:57 am 

https://kamikazepilot.bandcamp.com/album/121314

I recorded that last year. wrote and recorded in one day. mixed it at some point and then forgot about it.

Well here it is. I uploaded it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:19 am 

What's the best string thickness for guitar and bass respectively for a B-standard tuning? For a drone/doom sound, so sustain matters above all else.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:21 pm 

My band just released our debut EP. We actually recorded it way early this year - like March - but a few roadblocks stopped us from getting it finished. Pretty happy with the final product, though. https://blacksmithaus.bandcamp.com/releases

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:53 pm 

I learned the solo to Key to the Gate by Burzum. The first real solo I can play well. Next, I'm going for Freezing Moon by Mayhem and Where Dead Angels Lie by Dissection. They both seem really easy.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:25 am 

droneriot wrote:
What's the best string thickness for guitar and bass respectively for a B-standard tuning? For a drone/doom sound, so sustain matters above all else.

D'Addario makes 13-62 and 14-68 sets for baritone guitars. The .56 on most guitar string sets just isn't thick enough for tuning down that far, and the top ones are too tight. For the bass, go for a five-string set and just don't use the top one.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:22 am 

14-68 sounds beastly. For baritone guitar, too? I thought the point of long scale was that it allowed players to use lighter strings while tuning low.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:47 pm 

I don't have a baritone guitar. Guess this plan is going to cost more than I anticipated.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

NordicWarhammer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:41 am 

droneriot wrote:
I don't have a baritone guitar. Guess this plan is going to cost more than I anticipated.

You don't need a baritone guitar or baritone strings. Just get the heaviest strings you can find within reason, adjust the truss rod if needed (likely will need to), and reset the intonation. You don't need anything fancy. I played in B on my shitty old warlock and had no troubles. I still play in B for some projects, but I use a modeling guitar which can adjust tuning to whatever you want.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:21 am 

I wrote a melodic death metal song just for fun. I don't plan on recording it.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:42 pm 

I just recorded a cover of Freezing Moon by Mayhem. (Guitars, bass, and vocals, no drums yet). I am pretty proud of it. It is my first recording to contain bass. Also, my vocals sound excellent.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:17 pm 

New song recorded. It's great when you just wake up in the morning with a full song in your head. 100% black metal material btw.

~Guest 268919
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:25 pm 

Released a death metal EP as 'Lord Rot' a week or so back. Now in the middle of writing a second Lord Rot EP, Hellripper album and Lock Howl album. In the middle of recording the new Rats of Reality EP too, drums are finished and hoping for a February release.

JR855
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:46 pm 

I'm working on improving my drumming and vocals.

Whispers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:23 pm 

I am into the composing process of my first project. It is a rather unsual blend of atmospheric/funeral/gothic/doom-death with strong barroque influences.
As a (classically trained) keyboard player, I had tried before to compose metal, but I failed. That was until I grabbed an electric guitar and started to play it myself. After that, the stuff I've been writting makes more sense.
It's great to see how the music in my mind (my crazy ideas) takes shape. I can't wait for the moment of performing it (and still don't know how I'm going to do it!).

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:09 pm 

Almost finished writing for my speed metal band's album - I've now got just under 33 minutes of stuff I'm actually happy with. I've got something like a dozen other songs that haven't made the cut, which is pretty cool - I've never really had enough material with a band before to be this selective. So that's good fun. I'm just going to record every instrument on the album, so I'm going to have to really step up my drumming - I'm far too used to playing metalpunk these days, so actual tight fast double kick marathons are going to be a bit of a change, haha.

One of my metalpunk bands is currently booking a tour with some friends of ours, we're going to do ten shows around the UK in April. That should be pretty mad. We're hoping to record a new EP before then as well.

My solo metalpunk band's been surprisingly successful - the EP's had loads of plays and downloads on bandcamp, and I've had a rather good label talking to me about working together. I've got a live band together for that as well, and we've got a few shows booked already.

Busy times. And I'm still constantly trying to start new things, got a noise rock band starting up too... And kind of getting the urge to find an old-school death metal band to drum in.

BBEdrummerAK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:09 am 

Ever since Bound By Entrails more or less wrapped up three years ago, after the release of "The Stars Bode You Farewell", I've been doing all sorts of rock stuff. Surf rock (think like Dick Dale, Link Wray, etc) with one band, we played out a lot, opened for Ventures guitarist Nokie Edwards at one point..band got iced for a bit then recently has been rolling again. I also play in a Foo Fighters style alt-rock with a second band, and then a third band that does a mash of classic rock, progressive, and metal...it sounds like a mess on paper, but it works. Lol.
In between that I played some punk, backing another drummer/front man...that was fun. Filled in on a couple gigs, including filling in last minute for a band playing for a Burlesque troupe up here..that was fun!

Since this is a Metal page, I'll talk about my metal exploits of late. First is a band called Seracs, an established band in which I took over on drums for a good friend of mine due to him having knee issues, on top of being a dad to two young kids. They're best described as kind of a blackened death/thrash, with some melodic tendencies in the riffs. Admittedly, I have been bringing out more of the "blackened" aspect, pushing the pace on most of the songs. They needed it. We got to open for Suicide Silence recently. While they're not my cup of tea per say, it was a great opportunity in front of a great crowd. They were super cool guys as well. Seracs has been on break for the holidays, so hopefully things get rolling there again soon.
And finally, and most recently, I've been given an opportunity to record drums for a band called Urðarmáni, based out of Sweden. The main man, Einriði, is the man behind Azure, among other bands. He's shopping labels with a demo he did himself (with programmed drums) and I am learning about 70min worth of material for the debut full length. I am very excited about this!
If you guys and gals want links to any of this stuff, let me know. I did post links to the various Urðarmáni pages in the "Promotions" section.

Thanks for reading!

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:09 am 

Haven't drummed for two months. Recovering from a shoulder/neck injury and starting physical therapy in a few days finally. Extremely eager to get back behind the kit and finish the writing for the next Funeral Age album.

XevildollX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:25 pm 

While still playing, singing and writing in my band I started a solo project... Though it is faaar from beeing metal. More like ethno electronica/pop :P

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:00 am 

Haven't been able to play as much music in the past few months due to an intense schedule (mentally as well) but my band is well on track for our fourth album. 2 more songs to lay down scratch geetars for, three more to get the drums done for. On to bass and guitar solos and my part is done! And then time to get high and fuck bitches.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:00 pm 

yea I'm getting back on scheduel as well. about 3 weeks ago was the last time I bothered leaving my house.

Before that I did record 2 yzordderrex albums that I had most written for.

I mixed down ange de la mort full and a split. and started mixing a couple of grindcore albums

i have a bunch of recording up coming so I'll be getting that done soon.

and finally finish my stupid reviews for the challenge from earlier.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:45 pm 

Woooooooooo! My band just got offered a 10K grant! *flips over table*

It's crazy, this big radio company in my city has been handing out cash all over the place in the past while, and to bands they'd never actually play on their stations. I know a bunch of people who have gotten grants from them and this will be the second time for us. I'm really not sure what their deal is, maybe it's a tax write off or something... but whatever, I'm not gonna question it.

Destroyer_6_6_6
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 pm 

I just released my first demo about three weeks ago with my one man project called Spiral Void. It's shared on youtube and that's the only place to find any material of mine (FOR NOW). Once I have more material I MIGHT create a bandcamp or soundcloud, or any similar sight like that. Since I'm brand new to creating music, I'll count the simple act of uploading my material on youtube as a release of a first demo.

The demo is called Beyond the Barricades and it contains four songs of black/thrash and black/death metal darkness. All songs on the demo can be found on my youtube channel Metalattack1986. Here are two songs from it. (With dragonfire burning in my heart, I start my path into the night, and into chasms churning with madness and death!!)

Event Horizon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dyw29HEdg0

AMSG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMuNtR6N0E

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:00 pm 

Now with a new death metal thing going on, 1 song is already written/demoed and currently nailing the second one.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:15 pm 

Spirit Division played our first show since last October at a small Northwest Indiana town and it ended up being a much better gig than any of us expected. It wasn't a huge crowd but the people there were really into it and the band were pretty solid.

Other than that, we're a little under halfway through our second album recording and it seems to be going over pretty well for having it done in my basement. My guitarist is also planning to move out to Portland once this recording is finished so I'm starting to plan a farewell show to send him off while starting to get names together to audition for his replacement. Think the first half of this year is gonna be a bit of a clusterfuck.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:33 am 

Also, I started making my band posts on Facebook into haikus as a joke and the increase in traffic that has happened since then is kind of disturbing me.

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:09 pm 

Haven't had anything to post but here is this:

https://humandissention.bandcamp.com/tr ... -recording

I gotta say for a cellphone recording it came out pretty good. Isn't technology amazing? Going to actually record some songs soon.

Hallucination Realized. Real grind shit

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:39 am 

Second death metal track done and sent. Working on the 3rd one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:28 am 

first dm track completed drumwise.

2 osheigo drum tracks done.

1 unnamed drum track completed since it's to be 'underwraps' or whatever.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:22 am 

Should finally get my studio back put back together in the next month, then I can keep cranking out songs. Can't wait.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:53 am 

I just recorded a decent cover of Pesttanz by Absurd.

Kaickul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm 

Working on my 2nd solo record, everything has been panned out successfully, just need to record and put the damn thing together. Also with my band's first record which hopefully be done before the year ends. In addition, I'm also announcing my 3rd solo record out mid 2016 and a couple of splits, making me a really busy man.

Last edited by Kaickul on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:28 pm 

Finishing the 3rd death metal track and thinking about the 4th, if it'll happen or not.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:51 pm 

make it happen

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:31 am 

OK, I think I have an idea for the 4th track, which will be probably the last, so we can release the material real fast.

Besides that, I have an acoustic EP to track as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 pm 

Sounds great to me. I think by the end of next week I'll have em all done on my end.

shae201
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 pm 

Ive been wanting to start a type of prog metal,sounding band. I love Fates warning, Blind Guardian, Stormwitch and of course Helloween. A friend of mine that sings and I have gotten together and written some songs about history like The Flying Dutchman and Scottish Witch Tials of the 1800's. Whatcha think?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:28 pm 

think about what? you doing something? Well good for you. if you want anything in more depth you have to talk about or share the lyrics or music cause right now... there's not much to honestly care about to develop any sort of thought on.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:07 am 

Doing another YouTube cover to keep busy while waiting for other people to deliver their part in the serious projects. Went for vocals on Without God by Katatonia, did some rawer shit on it that I wasn't quite sure I was capable of :)

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:59 am 

Today should be the day to finish the death metal thing on guitars and bass.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:51 pm 

Looking forward to that. plan on tracking vocals for the first song. after that I'll attempt my ideas for the solo and depending on the time, start tracking the next song on drums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 185  Next