Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:49 pm 

Our band got an offer from the label Kunsthauch to print our demo in their promo series (a 50 cd's with envelope print), it might not seem like much to some but we're really excited about it.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:52 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Menschenfeindlic, it's alright just ignore him via add foe, I saw the stupidity and went on and reported him as well. There is no need for something so retarded to go on in this thread.

And now it's gone, never to be heard about again! These days you're purely dispensing good advice, with minimal contamination. :D

I have been trying to find a riff or two to match a great one I've been working on for a month or two - it's one of the best riffs I've come up with, Swedish-style black/death metal, but everything I've come up with feels like too drastic of a change. I haven't been able to come up with any riffs for the songwriting challenge though, and it's not in the spirit of the challenge to fall back on older stuff. Perhaps I could go through my riff library and pick a single riff to start with and work from there if I can't come up with anything else.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 pm 

well the one that brought you into being a mod was something I said long after I had given him good advice, it just got very tiring. I always start out helpful and then it just grows to aggravation, then goes back to being helpful. But I'm glad to see it go! So thanks for that quick response to it.

And i don't see anything wrong with that. I was very inspired by the thread and took influence from the very first challenge I did and decided to go in that direction but much more warped.

Have you thought about taking the excellent riff and working on variations of that riff... not exactly to follow up with it exactly but maybe use later in the song. I know I've came up with transitions before utilizing something similar to that or maybe thinking differently like as if I cut the drums to a slower beat midway and that can transition into a solid riff afterwards.

wrote another set of lyrics and finished the main part of the artwork i'm doing for a cover, started inking it in while i'm think of what more to add to it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Yo, finished a new House of Dagoth track...y'all should listen.

took a listen... it's pretty interesting for what it is. I'm more of a instrumentalist. meaning I enjoy noise that's created by instruments mainly and I always want some drums for a beat otherwise it's hard for me to really appreciate it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:15 am 

Yeah, it ain't for everybody. One thing I do take pride in with Dagoth is that the actual "Noise" (ie not the samples or anything) is entirely analog. We have some drums here and there, but largely used for tribal/spastic moments. Our second album, THe Incorrigible Crooked Dreamer, uses more traditionally "metal" song structures.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:44 am 

well that's very cool. That's cool that everything is entirely analog maybe I'll give the 2nd album stuff a listen.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:32 pm 

I just split up with my band, Mortal Mess. Now I'm working on finding musicians (particularly guitarists and a drummer) for a traditional metal/hard rock band inspired by NWOBHM, Mercyful Fate, Black Sabbath, Dio, and USPM.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:10 am 

ton of mixing this afternoon. I'm pleased with what all I got done. final vocals on 2 tracks tmwr and a jam for the band that we kicked the guitarist from. restructuring from it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:22 am 

Since I'm in the middle of nowhere and don't have an amp, a band is out of the question. Being around dubstep and club rap all the time (I'm at university), haven't really been inspired to write new songs. Been making a lot of electronic and ambient music lately on garageband. Maybe once I figure out a name for the project (suggestions would be great) I'll post a few of them on youtube. I made a pretty cool dark ambient song the other day (although not completely ambient the whole way through.) Starting to get a bit better at this.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:13 pm 

I've got 5 of the 6 tracks I'm tracking drums to on the 4th written and ready for recording. They're generally much heavier than pretty much any of the older Sorrowseed material from the first album, and are more overtly influenced by black metal than the first album stuff, which was more doomy. There's a lot of double bass and blasting going on here, so this'll be a fun workout.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:23 pm 

Sounds nice.

yesterday I did vocals for the last two tracks for this album

also went on and did a vocal track for an upcoming Draug split

around that time the guy that was playing bass in the band i had formed this year and pretty much disbanded shortly after came by and we picked up again in the direction of what we were doing before. we wrote a whole song with guitars that pretty much playing something different the entire time but compliment each other, just playing each part 8 times is roughly 8 minutes. recorded a quick demo of what is the skeleton of the drums and one guitar part so we can continue working on it later this week.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:55 pm 

Recorded vocals to all our new shit yesterday. Guttural shit sounded great, high parts could have been better i think so I might do them again. I have a hard time doing the vocals solo in the studio the same as I do when playing bass live which is annoying as hell.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:09 pm 

I know exactly how you feel. for some of the first times I did vocals for anything I actually had to hold my bass and be strumming it as if I was doing the vocals live. For some reason thinking about doing the vocals made me not hit what I wanted and when I was paying attention to playing the song they came out naturally how I wanted them to be to begin with.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:33 pm 

I have the exact same issue. My vocal performances are always sub-par unless I play at the same time. I have access to so many different sounds when playing, though I tend to overdo it with the air flow.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:08 pm 

Nowadays it's not an issue since most of my music I don't ever play live so I don't have that mindset of having to trick myself into a better performance. I just kinda roll with it.
out of everything... Kamikaze Pilots are the most fun for me vocally to do.I get really animated while doing them.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:43 am 

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I may take my bass with me this weekend to re-do them haha! If nothing else, just for my posture since standing up straight and doing them isn't natural since I'm usually hunched over or whatever.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:03 am 

Remember what I said about doing six tracks on March 4th? Scratch that.

Now it's seven.

Gods of drumming give me strength. :P

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:37 pm 

went down to the shed and was waiting for vocalist of 54R to come track some songs. So I worked on, completed, and recorded a new death metal song that's a bit over 11mins. I'm pleased it'll be part of a 2 song ep. the second track i'm aiming for 15mins.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 pm 

Shredding over the Phantasm theme. Ohhhh yeeaahhhh.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 pm 

Had first proper practice with the doom band on Tuesday, that's going pretty well. I also seem to have been recruited into an atmospheric black metal sort of thing. Primordial, Winterfylleth, Drudkh, and Summoning have all been mentioned.

I'm okay with this.

And on Monday, my post-metal band hits the studio! We're aiming for one track to be done for definite, which should be around 12 minutes long, and if we have time we're going to see about doing another (kind of Neurosis-ish) track, which we still need to finish writing...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 pm 

I wonder whatever happened to Mattp. I never see him post anymore. That guy had great stuff with Alas, Tyranny and he always had enlightening musical advice.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:31 am 

Just finished transcribing a Krallice song. feelsgoodman
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:48 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I wonder whatever happened to Mattp. I never see him post anymore. That guy had great stuff with Alas, Tyranny and he always had enlightening musical advice.

He got upset no one was constantly praising him and then a few people told him he was wrong on stuff and certain aspects of many of his songs weren't that great. So he left.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am 

I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually true.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 am 

Hahaha. Yeah, guy made some decent music, but he had the arrogance of youth.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

He mentioned that had a really heavy workload in school, involving a lot of science classes with labs. He was quite knowledgeable, but I suppose the interest in discussion wanes when you're not working on music as much.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:06 pm 

I wasn't really a fan. he accomplished it all well, just wasn't interesting to me.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:51 pm 

Hmmm. I'm shopping for a new computer for my studio, but I don't know much about computer hardware so I'm a bit lost. Mainly processors... I'm pretty sure I want dual core, but should I got with Intel? AMD maybe?

Oh and if anyone's bought recently, did you buy online? If so where?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 pm 

Have you tried Newegg?

If you're after a processor, I recommend the Intel i7-2600. It's what I'm using right now (for audio, gaming...) and I couldn't ask for more.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:15 pm 

I'll have a look, thanks. I think something with the Intel i7-2600 might be a bit out of my price range- I'm looking to spend around 500.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:58 pm 

It's going to be a bit tough getting a good studio computer with $500. I had to pay at least twice that amount for mine, and that was before the Thailand floods and the resulting price jump for hard drives.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:13 pm 

Maybe. It's all processing and RAM right? I'm looking at a shop by my work, they have a few deals on.

$479-
Intel Core i3 2100 3.1Ghz Processor
Kingston 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM

$399-
AMD A6-3670K (2.7Ghz) 4 Cores Processor
Kingston 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM

I dunno, both these seem pretty decent. What do you think the entry level for processing and RAM would be for a decent studio computer?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:28 pm 

I would say that 4 GB of RAM is a very good starting point. If you ever need more (say you use too many VSTi/samples) then you could always get another 4 GB. You need to run a 64-bit OS in order to take advantage of the extra memory though. Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) would be my choice.

As for processing... I haven't tried either of the ones you mentioned so I can't say much. Is the AMD one the same as this one? If so, I think that it's a good bang for the buck.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:44 pm 

Yup, that's the one. And yeah, I was just looking into the 32/64 bit thing I definitely want to get a 64 bit OS and 4 GB of ram.

Anyway I'm not gonna buy for a week or two, so I'll do some more research. Thanks though, that was helpful!

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 pm 

Glad to be of help. Btw, the Intel one runs cooler, consumes less power and is said to perform just as well or better, so I'd consider it as well.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:59 pm 

I kinda miss mattp actually. I certainly wasn't a fan of his music, and his preference for production always seemed a bit bland, but he had some good advice at times - I actually think the days when he was around a lot were the better days of this subforum. That might just be nostalgia speaking though.

Mostly just writing songs at the moment. I think I have tabs sitting around for an entire OSDM project and a lot of unfinished folk-y, Summoning-esque stuff. I'd like to record a lot of it but I just don't have the equipment or in some cases, the skills. Hoping that I'll have all this saved up, get shipped off to college in less than a year, and find some band mates: wishful thinking? Oh well.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:53 pm 

I have an Athlon II x4 640 with 4Gb of RAM and MS-7599 motherboard, something like that should be around 300usd I think, so I guess you should be able to get something a bit better for that price, just make sure to also invest in a decent power supply and cooling system, if you go cheap on those you'll be changing them way too often.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:44 am 

Grimmig wrote:
Mostly just writing songs at the moment. I think I have tabs sitting around for an entire OSDM project and a lot of unfinished folk-y, Summoning-esque stuff. I'd like to record a lot of it but I just don't have the equipment or in some cases, the skills. Hoping that I'll have all this saved up, get shipped off to college in less than a year, and find some band mates: wishful thinking? Oh well.

I feel ya. I hate coming up with ideas in my head and either not remembering them or not being able to play them OR having no one around that can play as well as you.

Going to be losing a practice space I rent out with some others. Major bummer. Seeing I still don't have a guitar amp and still having no PA we can't practice in any house. So no Leaking Head for months. But this new real project I am doing will be in full effect. Old school grindcore/death thrash in the vein of Terrorizer, Slaughter, Fear of God and Napalm Death. Cannot wait to play fast again.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:01 am 

Not much. Have three-four unfinished songs for my main band. I have a hard time writing the easy stuff, I always have to write riffs. Can't do the simple chugging or slow chord stuff. I will leave that stuff to the possible new guitarist.

My old band Ruins of Time will start programming drums, since the drummer is out with permanent hearing loss on one of his ears. Six songs that were left at the rehearsal demo stage in 2003, will hopefully be recorded this year.

A lot of stuff in between, like kids, work, Euro Cup, Summer Olympics....

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:42 am 

After a long break from any songwriting, I more or less finished up the riffs for my 2nd album. It's about 69mins long (hurrdurr) in total. May work on some post-black to take a rest.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 185  Next