Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:17 am 

Apteronotus wrote:
I was just practicing drumming last night, still have little idea what I am doing but it'5is a ton of fun, much more physical than playing guitar. Need to install a cup-holder on my kit to hold beers though.

You don't want the beer holder physically attached to any of the drums, because then it gets shaken up when you hit things. Beer holder attached to your snare? Hello, foam! The pros have a separate table in their kit for drinks, like Mike Portnoy's DT drink table.

http://mikeportnoy.com/drums/mirage/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:22 am 

if you are going to attach it to anything... your stool would be a better bet cause it's not going to shift much, just get your sweat in it. or maybe on your floor tom cause it's hit the least. But i've never done that. I always stuck it off to the side slightly behind my stool so I don't hit it at all for anything.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:03 pm 

Get a beer helmet!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:22 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Get a beer helmet!

Not compatible with headbanging, not an option for metal.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:26 pm 

Not an option for playing without headbanging cause again your head slightly still moves making more froth and just ruining your beer in general. thumbs down.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:45 pm 

Speaking of drum gear: Anyone have recommendations for drum thrones that go 28" high or more? I've been looking at the DW9100/9120 and haven't seen much else that'll work that's below the $200 range, so I'm in no rush to get something.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:20 pm 

bar stools.

how tall are you? I don't even go that high.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 pm 

Get a Roc 'n' Soc Lunar throne. It's the same kind I have. It's more like an office chair in that rather than bracket legs, it's got solid, unadjustable legs, and the seat pumps up and down. Much easier to use than a normal throne where you hafta screw the seat in and out to adjust the height.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... um-throne/

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
bar stools.

how tall are you? I don't even go that high.

Yeah, that's likely my temporary plan. I'm 6'10".

Subrick wrote:
Get a Roc 'n' Soc Lunar throne. It's the same kind I have. It's more like an office chair in that rather than bracket legs, it's got solid, unadjustable legs, and the seat pumps up and down. Much easier to use than a normal throne where you hafta screw the seat in and out to adjust the height.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... um-throne/

My concern with an air-piston is that it'll wear out pretty quickly because I'm big. Inexpensive chairs tend to start leaning to one side quickly, and the height doesn't always stay too stable. It also only goes up to 27" which I think is a little bit too low, and may drop a bit more with all my weight (~300lbs) on it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:15 pm 

I was well over 230 lbs. for the majority of time I've had the throne (biggest ever was 263), and the piston's yet to wear out on me, and my chair's five years old. It'll be perfectly durable for you, I'm sure.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:38 pm 

Zodi I didn't know you were a fucking giant.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 am 

Hi peeps, long time no see!

It's good to see everybody's still working on their stuff. Gonna try to check out your recordings in my free time, it's been a while since I listened to anything new in metal and now I feel like catching up a bit.

Also, seeing SLK reminded me of something. Remember I was going to send you some cds of my demo (Apteronotus too, is he still around? Haven't seen any post of him here)? I sent them, but they came back because at the time there was a lot of problems dealing with sending or receiving stuff internationally (sucks living in the third world, wachagonnado), and after a while I got too busy and forgot about it. Thing is, I still have the copies around, if you want them, I'll send'em again.

Musically, I am working on a new release for my band. This one's going to be much grander conceptually, I honed my lyrical skills in the time since our last release, and am planning to do a huge booklet to go with the concept of the words and music, tying everything together.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:52 am 

Hey Garth, glad to see you back.

garthmargengi wrote:
(Apteronotus too, is he still around? Haven't seen any post of him here)?

He's quoted on the first post of the page, more active than ever!

~Guest 268919
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:00 pm 

My hardcore band just recently finished and released our debut EP and we are pretty happy with how it ended up.

http://ratsofrealityband.bandcamp.com

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:53 pm 

garthmargengi wrote:
Hi peeps, long time no see!

It's good to see everybody's still working on their stuff. Gonna try to check out your recordings in my free time, it's been a while since I listened to anything new in metal and now I feel like catching up a bit.

Also, seeing SLK reminded me of something. Remember I was going to send you some cds of my demo (Apteronotus too, is he still around? Haven't seen any post of him here)? I sent them, but they came back because at the time there was a lot of problems dealing with sending or receiving stuff internationally (sucks living in the third world, wachagonnado), and after a while I got too busy and forgot about it. Thing is, I still have the copies around, if you want them, I'll send'em again.

Musically, I am working on a new release for my band. This one's going to be much grander conceptually, I honed my lyrical skills in the time since our last release, and am planning to do a huge booklet to go with the concept of the words and music, tying everything together.

hell yea I'm down.
welcome back!

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 am 

I released my Poisoned By Life CD at the local guitar shop and CD shop today and gave away a few copies to some friends who I owed one. Starting to get artwork done for Psychological Regurgitation, my grind band. I really want both of these albums released before school starts!

Occultcannibal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:56 am 

Recorded drum tracks for the Zombie Raiders/ Corpse Arise split this morning, working on tracks for the ZR/Fun With Dead Things split cassette tomorrow, if my mic survives it anyways.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:36 am 

Been recording a song the last 2 or 3 nights. This is a rough mix, and I still need to record some lead bits, maybe some synth, and some other little things, then have the vocalist do his part.

https://soundcloud.com/glorioususurper/drepa-the-howling-winds-of-vinland-unfinished

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:03 am 

Yupeee... With Nangilima we've signed 2 albums contact with Xtreem Music
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

~Guest 337487
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:48 pm 

Working on the Collosam EP for my band GALLIUM, man it sucks being the only dude working on everythink (especially drums, and Garage Band sucks at the drums especially). Otherwise doing the God of Emptiness cover will be a breeze, hopefully, I know Morbid Angel loves their seven-strings so I'll just start on bass then.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:17 pm 

Ramping up production on the two songs Josh and I have for our absurdist black metal side project. Guitars should be tracked this month, and bass will follow. Sound wise, think of older Satyricon mixed with Immortal.

--

I read a review of a compilation that Sorrowseed is earlier that called our sound "progressive black/death metal".

I could kinda get behind that. I do like when other people describe us as "progressive", even if we only occasionally dabble in longer, more sprawling stuff (for now). Still, an interesting moniker nonetheless.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:45 pm 

That is an odd comparison. Def didn't think of it as progressive or death metal. Just gothically laced black metal.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:02 pm 

Off to record the last 2 tracks of guitars for one side of the album. Next, the second guitar tracks, then on to the bass and the solos. Long ways to go, but we're getting there. Also, we finally have a new fantastic drummer.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:34 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
That is an odd comparison. Def didn't think of it as progressive or death metal. Just gothically laced black metal.

There are some proggy moments in some songs, mainly the longer ones, but overall it is indeed gothic black metal. Perhaps if the nutty style change Josh and I talked about doing for the eventual third album comes to pass, that genre descriptor will be fitting.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:05 pm 

Played a show last night opening for Iron Kingdom (Canada) and Coven. Super fun show, great venue, amazing crowd! I set up a drum cam to record myself, felt it was one of the best shows that I have played, got home, went to upload.... only to find out that it didn't record :( :( :( :( :(

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:44 pm 

Subrick, that's cool hopefully when you say prog as in actual prog cause it almost reads in your posts that you equate long songs to prog.

John, I know that feeling. I set up to record one of the possibly last show ever for Raum and apparently I didn't record shit, didn't know till after the fact. Sucks.. always sucks.

got a show next sunday in nola. not looking forward to it as much since... well it's sunday. Do get to play with Budd Dwyer so that's nice.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:03 am 

Well one of the big influences in this discussed style shift will be Opeth, so think the stuff they do. Same with Devin Townsend's solo stuff. Long songs will be one of the main elements (Josh and I specifically discussed doing a 15 minute tune as an opener), but also even more odd time play than we do now, less rigidly structured songs, and just generally a more loose, free form feel to the whole thing. Check the songs "Reaping Requiem" and "Astral Harvest", especially the latter, as examples of what I want to build and elaborate upon.

The songs we did on the last album we had come to the conclusion were written with being played live in mind, what with all of them being a compact 4-5 minutes aside from the last song, and this new stuff, whenever it happens, he and I are gonna go into it with the mindset of coming up with material so ridiculous, complex, and layered that it'll be practically impossible to replicate live. Considering that neither he or I really like playing live all that much, it sounds like a nice goal to try and achieve.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:11 am 

At least you have a set goal and that's good. And it sounds like you have a more fleshed out idea of prog than you were letting on from earlier.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:08 pm 

All guitars done on one side. Now for the other, then on to the bass and then the solos. I feel a lot more in control by doing both guitars so I'm in control when meshing harmony/counterpoint melodies and making sure they gel just the way I want them to.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:19 pm 

I had the last two days off of work, so I recorded some new drum covers. They didn't turn out THAT tight (I rarely get any chance to play along to other bands material anymore), but it was fun, and I'll be uploading them throughout the next week or two. Here is a list of what I've done...

Kingston Wall - Two of a Kind (uploaded already, http://www.youtube.com/user/johnthedrummer88 )
Dissection - The Somberlain (In memory of Jon, uploadign tonight)
Melechesh - Mercury and Mercury
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Gallowbraid - Oak & Aspen (aka Oaken Halls of Sorrow)

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 pm 

I (re?)mastered Bulletface and put it out on CD. This one's gonna be a little less involved than Poisoned By Life though, there are fewer copies, they're for dirt cheap, and I'm probably not going to ship any. It also has an archives page now too!

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 am 

Finished drumming on one of Arkhane's cool sad-sounding songs. I heard his thrash challenge song, but I didn't realize how good of a clean singer he is too. :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:35 pm 

I'm finally home. I'll looking forward to working on anything tmwr. I'm leaving again on Monday.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:40 pm 

Just found out my band is playing with Novembers Doom and Solstice on September 3rd, so that's pretty exciting.

Edit: November's Doom is apparently out. Fuuuuck. Ah well, still glad that's another one of three shows we're already playing in September.

NEKROHAZERD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:47 pm 

going to write lyrics and record vocals for this track

https://soundcloud.com/darkrealmzero/new-song

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:50 pm 

After many years of doing very little writing, I've been pretty inspired since I bought a new guitar.

I'm currently writing a concept album. It's going to be death/thrash (basically thrash metal with death metal style vocals). It's called "Mutant Mummy Invasion" and is about Mummies coming back to life and escaping Egypt into the sewers of the world, where they discovers a species of mutants, who exist because of toxic sludge that humans have dumped into the sewers. The mummies and mutants meld together into a new species that vows revenge against the humans. They begin an age of technological progress in the sewers, but ultimately become too powerful. They begin attacking humans, and end up destroying the Earth.

At this point, I have two songs fully written on guitar/drums, and I'm working on a third song at the moment. I've got all of the song titles down, and the general concept lyrically for each song, but I suck at writing lyrics, so I am leaving that until the end.

This is pretty ambitious for me, because I rarely write anything, but this is coming easy to me.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:04 pm 

Uploaded my cover of "The Somberlain" by Dissection. It is definitely rough around the edges at some points, but this was in one take without listening or practicing beforehand, I also haven't listened to this song.... or played it for a good month or two. Just wanted to do something in honor of the anniversary of Jon's death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIHVBK9wSgM

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:22 pm 

JohnTheDrummer, I'm excited for the Melechesh cover.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:14 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
JohnTheDrummer, I'm excited for the Melechesh cover.

Thanks man! I'm pretty stoked to upload it. Could be tighter, of course, but I just don't get a lot of time anymore to practice songs outside of my own bands songs anymore :D

In other news, Hells Headbangers now stocks my bands debut full length! So fuckin stoked when my friend texted me about it! I know we have some stuff on small distros, but that is a huge step!
http://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/item.asp?PID=32081

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 am 

Well I decided the bite the bullet and get a bridge Bare Knuckle Aftermath. That's right, the fabled BKPs that everyone is raving about. Will post a short review once I install them. Replacing a Seymour Duncan Invader with it. While the Invader has served me (and several others of note) very well, it just doesn't have the definition I want.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 185  Next