Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:07 pm 

That tone reminds me of Sunn O))) so much. You should write a drone song or two with that setup.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:11 pm 

I know!! I was thinking about pairing that up with the Randall RG300 and Fenderbassman Video if you don't remember: http://youtu.be/OjPhciBsrNU

I am thinking about pairing them up and recording 2 guitar tracks with 3 mics. one on each cab and one open to catch the airy ambience of the sound from further away. So i'll end up with 6 tracks. 3 per channel and mix it all down to make some epic fucking crush. it'll be some slow moving fucking shit for certain. haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:12 pm 

I would've done one of the acoustic as well but then everyone showed up for band practice.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:20 pm 

Hell yeah. Maybe have two tracks 100% right and left, two tracks 70% right and left, and the atmosphere tracks about 70-80% panned and adjusted for volume to get the ambience you want. That could be awesome for drone/doom. I don't really have the facilities right now to get volume like that. I think if I tried, my 50 year old speaker would explode. Speaking of speakers, I got my old alnico 15 in the mail the other day. 15 inch speakers are fucking big! I can't wait to make a cab for this thing. I have a 4X8 cab that I need to get rid of. I never use it and it's loud as shit. 16 ohm. Craigslist time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:26 pm 

Yea you meantioned you got it in. That'll be tight once you build a cab for it and it can be used for both guitar and bass. at least that's what I use my shits for. cause that video I just did is a 215 cab. and yea I totally agree about how to do the panning. I always do the 100% left and right when I do single tracks for each guitar but yea I think filling all that extra headroom with ambience n shit will go far to just making a huge hammerswing of vol and distortion. I love how those 2 amps have this great breakup and are actually pretty damn close to sounding like tube break up when they are both solid state.

I have a guy who would be down to play drums in a band like that but I'll be hard pressed to wait for when he has the time. I don't know I'll have to see.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:33 pm 

Drone don't need no stinking drums!

For once the weather is beautiful outside. I should go out and do something.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:39 pm 

I can't stand drone with out percussion. that's the hilarious part. if there isn't any drums in a drone doom band. I honestly don't care to listen to them. that's why I hate Sunn0)))

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:48 pm 

Perfectly understandable. It took me a while to get used to. A lack of drums kind of makes it sound not like music, in a way.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:03 pm 

it makes it sound like background shit to me

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:05 pm 

Yeah definitely. Even just a cymbal crash here and there really adds a lot to it, and sets the pace.

The first Sunn O))) song I heard was like 2 chords repeated over and over again, extremely slowly of course, for like 7 minutes. That was it. It took them a long time to grow on me.

Now I'm wracking my brain trying to think of some cover art. Pretty much just drawing a blank.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 pm 

let me hear some shit. maybe I can think of something you can do or I can do something for you. and totally agree. even a single cymbal/kick everyonce in awhile goes tons. like Corrupted. or that Bunkur I was talking about.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:22 pm 

Alrighty, give me about 10 minutes, I'm going to render a bunch of songs and put them in dropbox and post them.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:43 pm 

Cool.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:54 pm 

Okay, here's 8 songs. I still have 2-3 left to finish, but all these are done. Any constructive criticisms from anyone would be welcomed, to include song structure, the mix itself, anything. Some of these I've posted before, but I'll throw them all here together:

Some cellos in this one, and a nice heavy groove: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... orever.mp3
This one is kinda drone/ambient I guess: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 0Bloom.mp3
A song about fucking on a grave. WOooooo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... s%20on.mp3
This was from the doom challenge. I totally revamped the song: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 20Cold.mp3
Tuned down an extra step, kinda drone/doom. Not sure I was successful with this one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... lation.mp3
Posted this one before, but I like it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... eaning.mp3
This one ended up symphonic, but I think not overly so: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... rkness.mp3
Another one I've posted before, but I like it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 20pain.mp3

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:03 pm 

okay I'll give a listen after I grap a snack.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:04 pm 

No problem. I'm going to try to hammer out a few art ideas then I think go see a movie or get some food.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:13 pm 

Well no movie tonight.

Anyways, I was messing around with my Peavey VTM 60, and it's got these tiny tiny tiny little switches up front marked "response modifications." They were all off except for the two gain ones. I tried the low middle and high ones and they're just boosts, nothing special. I flipped the "comp" one and HOLY SHIT where did that tone come from!?! One tiny little switch totally changed the sound of the amp. I'm really really digging the tone now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:15 pm 

So far this is pretty sweet so far I've only managed to listen to the first 2 song and about to contiure on... it's more of the traditional with like you said the drone but is kinda like funeral doom or to a degree dsbm ambient meaning that 2nd one...

haha that's awesome, love it when some stuff like that happens. like when I plugged up that Randall RG300 since I had bought it a couple of years ago. or my old Crate head I first bought. it's perfect for what I'm doing in Vomitwolves. took a rough mix home for the wife to listen to and she approves greatly to it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 pm 

Yeah this peavey sounds nice, being a JCM800 clone and all. With a tubescreamer it has such a perfect 1980s heavy metal tone. I think the "comp" switch is something like "compensate for weak pickups" or something, because it seemed to boost the signal and fully saturate it and it just sounds thick and wild now, nothing like a JCM800 (in a good way).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:22 pm 

So it's sounding beast? I'm slowly working my way through the rest of these songs. pretty consistent

oh and here is a rough mix of my full actual band minus vocals: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6dfKCv ... sp=sharing

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 pm 

Yeah it sounds incredible. I'm going to have to do a sound clip tomorrow and post it. It blew me away.

I really like that first riff with the double bass and whatnot. It has a certain quality that sounds good when repeated. Looking forward to hearing it with vocals.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:33 pm 

Yea I think for this being the first song of the new direction it came out well enough this second one we are piecing together is already just kicking the shit out of this one.

Thing that sucks is we are having a feeling the bassist is going to quit due to going back to school and how much he works. I'm hoping if he does we can at least get an ep recorded with him and then we can rest on that. I'd like to get a 5 song one done to finally get something done with the band.

Oh and desolation is my favorite.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 pm 

Desolation is in Ab. These new strings I just bought are ridiculously heavy, to the point that I don't want to tune to Bb with them. They'll be way too tight. So once I finish this pine SG project and whatnot, I'm going to tune it down to A standard, and my symphonic death doom drone stuff will be in that tuning. Maybe even a droney one in dropped G just for ridiculousness.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 pm 

Here's a little preview of what I've been working on. It was thrown together (minus drums) in like 20 minutes so it's not exactly in perfect time but whatever. Just wanted to record since I never really have before and a few friends wanted to hear something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yun7nxZAsHc&feature=youtu.be

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:53 pm 

on snap coming down to G where I lurk! haha I play Draug and Yzordderrex in G standard. it makes the simpliest riffs fucking beast.

I think I have a few ideas for some cover art for you. let me dick around with some shit and I'll get back with you.

Silence I'll check yo shit out in a moment.

here is something I wrote and recorded today for the Corpse Arise full length I'm very slowly working at putting together.
http://youtu.be/ZNK7Z35sdoE

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 pm 

Yeah I would really prefer to stay at Bb, but with the size of these strings I may end up down at A. I'll have to see how things go. That song threw me off for a second, with that opening riff I thought it was a death/doom song. Good stuff!

Another thing I want to do is get a guitar, amp, and speakers (maybe a pedal too) all from 1981, when I was born, and write some music with that. For no other reason than just because.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 pm 

haaha thanks. I like to throw some doomy sections in what is pretty much my old school death grind material. It started out as a way to rid the vault of a ton of material I wrote for a long distance band. guy never really recorded drums to it all then decided to take it live, and now after some more lineup changes. I'm back to do vocals on recordings and it's more of just recording than anything. still waiting on material since he asked me back in March or April.

Silence, very cool once you get it down more fully that'll be some great shit.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 am 

Peavey sound clip:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 0check.mp3

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:28 am 

uploaded the whole Deathlord demo album on bandcamp

http://deathlord.bandcamp.com/
:)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:46 am 

I never know what to expect when people upload their music, but that was pretty nice, doktersatan. Definitely had an old school death metal sound to it. Nice stuff.

Just wrote and recorded a drone song. It's kinda fun.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:44 am 

I can dig that deathlord but I still hate those higher pitched vocals. Like I had mentioned before... it reminds me of the story teller from Resurrection

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:57 am 

thanks for listening!

I can totally understand those kind of vocals are not for everyone :) We like them though, raw and unsophisticated, 0 technique.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:04 am 

Finished a 9th doom song, decided to name the album Devoid of Meaning, and threw together some halfway decent album art. Time to put it all on bandcamp and make a facebook page for the band. Haha. "band".

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:24 am 

Ugh, now I need to think of the track order also. Another thing I hate doing. Fuckity fuck fuck.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:31 am 

Very nice, doktersatan. Didn't like the highs much either but I can certainly appreciate the intent and the aesthetic of them. I like the drum sound a lot too, and those are some pretty cool songs. Solos could use some work, but they're alright and I'm just being nitpicky hehe.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:40 am 

" raw and unsophisticated, 0 technique"

This I can appreciate. It just falls short, it almost sounds like someone making fun of that vocal style/death metal in general. Like a punk guy doing a shit take at it.

Just keep listening to the tracks inifinite, usually at least for me I can always pick out the first and last tracks the fastest. everything else after that is just basic balancing. Like I try not to put songs together that are too similar in elements used next to each other, or similar structure or tempo.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:47 am 

Yeah I'm really anal about that. I'm thinking of putting heart of darkness as the first track since the nice symphonic bit would be a nice intro to the album and kinda set the mood. But the whole album isn't symphonic, so that could be slightly misleading. Also I like the first track to be one that catches the listener's ear quickly.

Interesting note: The amp I used for this album, a lot of people say it isn't capable of playing metal. hahah.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:04 am 

Yea that's the shame about things like that. Quite possibly put that falling forever first cause it is a good strong track and is enough that hints at what the whole album is and then the added symphonics are nice touches for someone to discover and not be expecting if you put one of those first. Oh one thing I did think of as a complaint as listening was the one track that had piano... maybe turn the piano down a notch or two, it might be just me... but it's on the border of being piercing to my ears.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:05 am 

Wooooooo, the album is done and up! Now I have to listen to it all again and make sure I didn't miss anything.

http://licrest.bandcamp.com/album/devoid-of-meaning

And errbody help me get some fans for my facebook page for this band, so I can get my own facebook url (gotta have 30 fans) Thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Licre ... 4591779641

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:05 am 

Piano, you mean heart of darkness? The symphonic one? Thanks, I'll double check that.

edit: I hear what you mean. Those frequencies really punch through, gotta turn that down a bit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 185  Next