Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 am 

Very cool, it's always an awesome feeling to be part of something that really impresses you even as an outside listener. Are you going to get a live drummer or will you be programming?

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:54 pm 

Did some improvisation for a post-black song. Spent like 1 hour getting the right ideas down.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:15 pm 

workinng on my progressive black metal solo project
hope i finish the demo soon!!!

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:28 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Very cool, it's always an awesome feeling to be part of something that really impresses you even as an outside listener. Are you going to get a live drummer or will you be programming?

Yeah, I almost feel rejuvenated as a musician again. From 2008 to 2010 I was in a band playing out live doing small tours here and there. Long story short we got fucked over big time and ended up splitting. The label that was supporting us fell apart as well. It left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth and I completely cut my self out of the make shift metal scene. I slowly stopped playing and practicing less and less, mainly focusing on work and shit. Now, with the guys I am playing with, we are just having fun. One step at a time.

Preferably a live drummer but it may not be an option. We have some one in mind but we aren't really sure if we are going to be able to rely on him or not. I prefer the raw energy of a live un triggered performance. I have never programmed drum tracks before but it would be something to think about. It may actually end up being our only option so we will see.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:13 pm 

well if it comes down to programming how about you give me a ringading ding instead? What you are describing is right up my alley.

AIMOVORIA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 pm 

well, for me, I'm trying to record an single right now, and I'm trying to put together a music vid. :) it's gonna be awesome! but I actually need to learn some symphonic instruments and etc. before I try some symphonic bm, cuz that's what I like...

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:27 pm 

What do you mean by learning symphonic instruments? You know that learning to play an instrument well enough to join a symphony orchestra takes years of studying, right?

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:43 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
well if it comes down to programming how about you give me a ringading ding instead? What you are describing is right up my alley.

Sure thing man. I will keep you in mind. Il probbably end up posting more updates in here as well.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 pm 

Mostly writing lyrics for a few songs I've already composed.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:08 am 

garthmargengi wrote:
What do you mean by learning symphonic instruments? You know that learning to play an instrument well enough to join a symphony orchestra takes years of studying, right?

...And that most symphonic BM uses synths instead of an actual orchestra?

(directed to AIMOVORIA btw)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:21 am 

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Sure thing man. I will keep you in mind. Il probbably end up posting more updates in here as well.

very cool, I'm always around... which I guess is apparent.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 am 

Band's single getting released soon, right after our vocalist is done mixing it(for the 11th time, hehe). The Heretic Priests Ov Amon!

This video was shot in rehearsal without 2nd guitar though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWHevIaabU

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:18 pm 

My bands CD release show is tonight. Getting pumped! And a bit anxious haha.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:17 am 

CorpseFister wrote:

Will you be releasing a free mp3 download for this album too? Bleak Anthems is great by the way; I love 80s influenced synth-rock.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:19 am 

I'm joining the request, free or not, make sure to give us a link to the bandcamp or whatever when your new album is online, I want to hear what it's like.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:31 pm 

CapricornSupernaut wrote:
CorpseFister wrote:

Will you be releasing a free mp3 download for this album too? Bleak Anthems is great by the way; I love 80s influenced synth-rock.

Cheers, thanks a lot man! And yeah the album will be out for free download on March 6th, I'll post a link. I can also mail out physical copies on the cheap if anyone is so inclined.

Also, the release show was fucking awesome. Couldn't have asked for a better crowd. I must have sweat a pint or two, my shirt was soaked through and at one point I was dripping on my keyboard. I really need to remember to bring a change of clothes next time :lol:

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:46 pm 

@ garthmarengi: Your band is awesome dude, I really dig the eerie riffing and super dense production

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
@ garthmarengi: Your band is awesome dude, I really dig the eerie riffing and super dense production

Yeah, great atmosphere. I really like it.

I want to put some of my electronic/ambient stuff on youtube, but I can't figure out a name for this project :( .

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 am 

just smash your fingers into the keyboard and call it that.

yea I'm really liking this last thing you did garth... plans on releasing a cd?

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:35 am 

Thank you guys, really.
And in answer to SLK, yeah, a russian label is going to print out fifty copies. The thing got delayed because the guitarist's computer broke and he has some files we intend to use for the back cover in it; once he has it working again (by next week I think) we'll send all the files and everything should be done in about one or two months (it's a small label after all, so he has to order and get everything shipped to do the printing first).

@dystopia: Well, what are your influences, what does it sound like, what imagery does it evoke to you?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:34 am 

throw up that you have those cds in, I'd pick one up.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:09 pm 

The Metal Archives February 2012 songwriting contest, death metal with a twist, has now come to close. Here you can download the compilation.

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 pm 

I just had what was simultaneously one of the best and worst experiences I've had as a musician. I was trying out with a band after contacting their guitarist/songwriter. Long story short the guitarist was awful, everything about his playing was painful, the picking technique, muting, fretting, the works. Also an obvious control freak. Singer wasn't much to write home about either. However they also had a new bassist, guy was an intense player. He asked me what bands I was into, I mentioned Venom and a couple of thrash bands, and it turns out he's also a big thrash fan. The funny thing is we both go to the same college, he was doing the same music tech course as me a couple of years ago, and we know quite a few of the same people, but we never met till now. Gonna be jamming pretty soon as well :headbang:
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 pm 

Xanzotire wrote:
I just had what was simultaneously one of the best and worst experiences I've had as a musician. I was trying out with a band after contacting their guitarist/songwriter. Long story short the guitarist was awful, everything about his playing was painful, the picking technique, muting, fretting, the works. Also an obvious control freak. Singer wasn't much to write home about either. However they also had a new bassist, guy was an intense player. He asked me what bands I was into, I mentioned Venom and a couple of thrash bands, and it turns out he's also a big thrash fan. The funny thing is we both go to the same college, he was doing the same music tech course as me a couple of years ago, and we know quite a few of the same people, but we never met till now. Gonna be jamming pretty soon as well :headbang:

Well skills can always be honed but attitude adjustments come a lot harder. You'll have a more difficult time getting that guitar player to be willing to improve than actually improving him, I'd say.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:55 pm 

did vocals for the 2nd song for this Uzumaki ep. now I can mix and then it's done.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:27 pm 

Here is the montage of the session I did for Sorrowseed on Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBsjp6cXWZE

Enjoy.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 am 

Messed around with melodic tapping and made a couple of riffs but I'm out of ideas for now.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 pm 

A few people have expressed interest, so here it is:

My band Cygnets has released its second album DARK DAYS. You can get a free download of the 14 track album from our website. It’s not going to appeal to everyone here, but anyone with an interest in new wave, indie and post punk should check it out.

We also have a video out for the first single. Should have a second video out soon as well.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:31 pm 

Great man, I'll take it to listen at work tonight, cheers for it!

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 pm 

I'll download it and listen to it tonight, I really liked the couple videos I saw from you!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:27 pm 

Been practicing some crazy string skip tapping. I have this nasty habit of coming up with stuff I can barely play.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:

My band Cygnets has released its second album DARK DAYS. You can get a free download of the 14 track album from our website. It’s not going to appeal to everyone here, but anyone with an interest in new wave, indie and post punk should check it out.

We also have a video out for the first single. Should have a second video out soon as well.

I remember that video. I'm not even much into the genre, but I find this awesome. The vocalist in particular makes me grin. I can't explain it, but it feels to me like his voice doesn't... match... his face. :lol: Looking forward to hearing the thing.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:18 am 

I'm up to fuck-all, and it's really getting me down. It's been a long time since I was truly inspired. Not really sure how to climb out of this pit, but I'm gonna try. I have a band of sorts, and we're covering some good stuff, such as King Diamond, old Slayer, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, old Metallica, maybe some Fates Warning ('Giant's Lore (Heart of Winter)'!), Motorhead, etc. But when it comes to writing music, I just don't have any ideas. Honestly, I feel best when I'm playing acoustic music, as I can write and perform music closer to my heart (emotionally). With metal, I usually feel that I'm just 'having a go' at it, which sucks because I really love metal and want it to be my natural form of expression. I'm just not sure that it is.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:03 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:

Very awesome. Actually watched the whole thing.

Jammed for new band last night. Went very well. Very thrash-y old school extreme metal. Feel like this band will be a lot of fun playing and writing for.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:11 pm 

wrote and recorded one song for Shokushu Goukan

recorded vocals for 8 Kamikaze Pilots songs.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 pm 

Programmed drums, recorded bass and the first rhythm guitar tracks for twelve new Necrotic Goatslaughter tracks tonight. Should hopefully be finishing the album up in the next few weeks.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:13 am 

Transcribed some VGM over the past few days, thinking of starting a VGM cover band, like Powerglove and all that.

Also decided on the direction I'm going for the 'tone cluster band'. It's gonna be roughly along the lines of Discordance Axis, but maybe with a few slams here and there.

Astrum502
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:48 pm 

I wish I could clone myself into 3 people, so I could just do all my band by myself.
My band is profecient in their ability, but I think it'd just be so much easier if I could do it all myself.
My guitarist is having issues with his homelife, and says we may not be able to practice there.
My drummer has a small dingy basement, but says he doesn't want to practice there.
I may have to try and force this though...

We are working on our new album, and we have a show planned in June. I just hope it all comes out, and it's just, well, you can't control what others do.

I'm often trying to think of a way I could do live shows all by myself, if I had too, and have it still be an enjoyable experience for the audience.

Anyone ever played live by themself? How'd you do it?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:05 pm 

I'm not a fan of seeing one man bands perform live no matter how great they sound.... wait check that there is only one that I liked and that was Assacre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlvR542Ok7g

otherwise don't bother. I didn't even want to do a two man band where it's just me and a vocalist.

anyway just opt to do it all yourself if you can. Nothing wrong with that. I'm doing that in a number of projects cause the more I try to jam with people the more I like writing by myself.

anyway recorded last 8 KP songs for a split due out this month.
wrote 3 more SG songs.

diamondfamicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 pm 

I started a 2nd solo project of only ambient/melodic black metal. I have 7 songs recorded and a split tape coming out in June with a band from south carolina, called Small Woods. You can hear a couple of my non-finally mixed tracks here
http://youtu.be/jqtpgafn77o
http://youtu.be/Cl1u02aJqBo
regardless of what it sounds like, I swear it is not dsbm.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 185  Next