Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:50 pm 

true that. I'll go on and get them then.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm 

Trying to write a long, dark, haunting, black metal instrumental. Kinda tired of writing black metal lyrics. Granted mine aren't the best, but still.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm 

then take a break.

wrote and recorded another Vomitwolves song.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:04 pm 

Yeah I'm feeling a little burned out. Might take a day or two off, then see how I feel this weekend. Errthing should be better then. The past few days have been stressful.

Got an awesome tube boost/overdrive pedal in the mail the other day. It's the matsumin valvecaster, which is one I've tried to make twice and have failed both times. I keep switching shit up or something and it ends up not working. So I finally got one and it sounds great, I just had to order a regulated AC adapter (regular wall warts aren't regulated) to keep the hum down. It has a great smooth overdrive.

I've also decided I'm going to sell my warmoth flying V. It's a nice guitar and all, but the bridge pickup is a tiny bit too far from the bridge and I don't like the way it sounds. Yeah I know, that sounds really picky, but when I compare it to my other guitars I don't like how it sounds. So out the door it goes.

So far I have 7 songs or halfway complete black metal songs, so I'm hoping to finish writing some stuff and redo the guitars and probably the vocals. I want the vocals a bit more reverby and harder to understand. Mine sound alright, but they're way too clear, it just doesn't sound "black metal" enough to my ears.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:45 pm 

add some compression to them then some reverb that might help.

and I don't blame you for selling it. I've sold plenty of guitars that I either didn't like much over the course of getting them in or just didn't sound right for what I wanted to do with them.

I bought those pickups. even though one is neck and one is bridge I thought of taking one and throwing it in one of my other broke ass guitars.

I really want some more free time to record. my new regiment of working out is bleeding into that record time.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
So far I have 7 songs or halfway complete black metal songs, so I'm hoping to finish writing some stuff and redo the guitars and probably the vocals. I want the vocals a bit more reverby and harder to understand. Mine sound alright, but they're way too clear, it just doesn't sound "black metal" enough to my ears.

Try using a really shitty microphone?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:50 am 

AppleQueso wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:

:nono:

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:01 am 

The black metal band is doing well, we played a bitching gig at the weekend with Repuked/Bonesaw/a good few other bands, and people seemed to really like us. I had some people compare us to Blut Aus Nord and Dragged Into Sunlight, so I'm pretty happy with that. We've now got a gig lined up at the end of the month with De Profundis, and depending on how well that one goes we might have a gig with Downfall of Gaia as well, and we're also hoping to open up for Shining in December. So that's all good, now we just need to find some nice pedals...

The blackthrash band's getting some merch sorted, and still writing more tunes. We've got two completely finished, one just needing lyrics, and about 60% of a fourth one. So we pretty much have a set almost ready.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 am 

somefella wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

:nono:

:lol:

Come on, it's black metal. It's fair game!

Actually maybe consider making a copy of your vocal track, slapping a ton of distortion and reverb on it, and then blending it in with the clean one?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm 

haha you guys are retards. I think I just need to play with my reverb a bit. Finding that sweet spot, so to speak.

Got some almond stuffed dates wrapped in bacon in the oven. Looking forward to that.

So I was bored today at work as usual so I took a nice long shit, notepad in hand. And low and behold I wrote like half of a doom song! Success!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 pm 

I got an idea for a new project today and started coming up with some material and building a concept in my head. Genre: Experimental drone/death/doom metal, power electronics. Haven't come up with a name yet, but it's gonna be perversely dark and unpleasant. I love it already. :)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:55 pm 

droneriot, I could probably give you some guitar riffs and even half completed death/doom songs if you want to experiment with putting electronic stuff over it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:41 am 

Got a nice vintage microphone from eBay for $5. I've been wanting another mic. So I put it in front of my 2X12 cab that I made and low and behold, it sounds better than my isolation cab. Figures. Now it's time for breakfast, run some errands, and then hopefully finish some black metal songs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:30 pm 

Friend found this in a pawn shop near his house and called me up. I flew on down there and talked them down to take 50 for it.
Plugged it up today and it works great and sounds great.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:08 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
droneriot, I could probably give you some guitar riffs and even half completed death/doom songs if you want to experiment with putting electronic stuff over it.

Aren't you supposed to be coming up with drone/doom riffs? :P

Anyway, I will come up with my own riffs for the project I mentioned above your post because I have a very clear idea of what they're supposed to sound like. Unless you want me to experiment with putting electronic stuff over your stuff unrelated from the aforementioned project. I could do that.

I'll hook up the other computer shortly, that's the one with Cubase on it, I only use CoolEditPro on this computer right here because I find it the easiest program to record random riff ideas and this computer is meant for internet stuff, not music-making, the other one is for music-making (it's way more powerful too.)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:21 pm 

droneriot: I'm slowly writing some drone stuff. I'll be emailing you two more later today. Still have a lot of learning to do, and they're pretty much just a base, over which much stuff needs to be layered. I may send you one of my doom songs to see what you can do with it though. Could be interesting.

SLK: An acoustic amp?

Finished some black metal songs and wrote some lyrics. I recorded some vocals, but my voice is just weak today. I have a lot of work to do in order to get a good black metal vocal sound without lots of studio magic, which I'm trying to get away from.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:53 pm 

Yea this is my second one. the first one I got was a 330. it sounds similar to that Peavey sound test I posted awhile back. Big and gnarly. I'll do a test of each soon.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 am 

So I guess the "acoustic" is misleading then, haha.

Not sure what I'm going to do today. I may work on a sketch/drawing that I started yesterday, with intentions of eventually making it some cover art if it turns out decent. I was thinking a dark, old forest covered in big worms, kind of a lovecraftian feel to it, but I'm not so sure it's going to turn out that good.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:31 am 

Oh You thought that meant as in for an acoustic guitar? hahahahaha No. it has nothing to do with one of them. They are power houses. I'm more familar with them with bassists using their gear for some gnarly gritty tone that I loved.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:57 pm 

Oh okay. Yeah with the brand acoustic I figured it would be pretty clean sounding.

Gonna try to write a nice long black metal song today. Something with a "haunting" atmosphere to it, and not just chromatic minor chords and blast beats. We'll see if I'm successful.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:27 pm 

it can be if you want it to be, but who likes that shit? It's an old ass brand.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:48 pm 

I was at least moderately successful (so far) in writing a nice long dark black metal song. I'll hopefully be able to finish it later in the week, but I like where it's going so far.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:52 pm 

Ebonmere finally auditioned a drummer after a month of searching. He's from a death metal background but he's taken to our songs well and has a lot of enthusiasm so far. Spirit Division has been more sporadic since everyone is working or going to school full-time but I've been putting some new material together and hoping to finish recording our demo sometime soon.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 pm 

Well, i was hoping to write some black metal tonight, but nothing really came out. Even a bottle of wine couldn't pull some music out of me, and that's like my inspiration juice. Damn. Granted, black metal isn't my usual genre, but still.

Finally got a regulated power supply for my valvecaster in the mail. I had to cut the cord and switch the wires to make the ring the ground, but once I did, I ended up with a nice tube overdrive pedal. Just gotta watch the muddiness, which is always a problem with low tunings, thick strings, and tube amps.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:04 pm 

I'm kinda getting over this wonderful poison ivy that's gestated on my arms and legs. So I'll probably be back to recording drums for stuff I've been meaning to.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm kinda getting over this wonderful poison ivy that's gestated on my arms and legs. So I'll probably be back to recording drums for stuff I've been meaning to.

Dude what the hell hahaha, how'd that happen

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:07 pm 

I work outside. it happens every now and again. I got a steroid shot friday to combat it. I look like someone has sprayed me with red jam and then you get close and want to vomit.
I'm usually very careful about this and know where it is when I'm working but somehow at least once a year it happens.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 pm 

Took the bass and my little Ampeg to my bud's house today to jam. We actually came up with some pretty cool stuff, ranging between rock, death, and melodic black metal. I'm stoked, we're supposed to jam more in the future and maybe something will come of it!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:47 pm 

hopefully something that bridges all those into something cohesive and nice to listen to.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:54 pm 

That's what we're aiming for. This jam was more of a "Hey, do you have any ideas you wanna work on?" than a structured approach. Next time we're going to try and write something at least closely resembling a song, and we'll just go on from there. I'm really stoked on this though, I'd almost forgotten how playing with another person gets the creative juices flowing!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:04 am 

Oh okay I gotcha now.

yea having to restructure my band that was a 4 piece. we are cutting the dead weight and the dead songs and reshaping the parts we like of that into a new band and using the name we picked for a recording only thing with the same members that I'll be more directly in control of.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 am 

Good on you dude. I feel bands generally don't work as democracies unless everyone has a very clear and focused goal.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:16 pm 

Yea we just had to cut the bassist. He was dead weight. he's a cool kid and had interesting ideas but even by his own admission.. he's fucking lazy. The rest of us are just tired of wasting out time. 9 months and nothing really to show for it. I sat back as long as I could. Really for me the final straw was him requesting to change practice from sat to sun... sure I'll do Sun but earlier in the morning. I got no response either way as a confirmation or cancellation. He can suck my dick.

Going to take the parts from the last revamp we did since we only wrote like a song and a half.. going to incorporate the better riffs and I'll interject my own and we'll arrange that for something that's going to be a mix of Dead in the Dirt, Nails, Ilsa, Hellshock. Hopefully that'll work right.

And we are going to take the name that were going to use for the band and the 3 of us are going to do a strictly recording project unless money was thrown at us. Some really abysmal doom with me spearheading putting it together. I want to do 3 songs at most and call it a day and if we never revisit it I'll be satisfied the name was given a good send off. I've been telling everyone I plan to make it sound like a slowmotion fist fight between Buried At Sea and Corrupted using guitar amplifiers.

LoliPantsu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:52 pm 

Lately I've been recording some lo-fi drone and noise tracks. Thinking of working on another ambient song soon.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:08 pm 

http://picosong.com/ymiG/

So the next satanpope is definitely going to be an ambient Sho-gaze release. I recorded this yesterday, and I think I'm getting a lot better at writing and improvising, but this still needs some work with equalization and maybe redoing the lead guitar track.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:10 am 

I just had an idea for a new side-project, named "Der Führer", drone with Hitler samples. :)

Auspicium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:00 pm 

I'm suffering from a shitlong stretch of block. I finished writing the new Field of Spears album, but since then I've only been able to dick around with some shoegazy (think J&MC and Mbv) tracks. I wanted to start working on the next Auspicium and Avulse albums, but that'll be on the back burner til the inspiration strikes.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 pm 

After watching some Yngwie videos I'm practicing my ass off to get my solo chops up. I've always been a primarily rhythm player and like it that way, but watching some Yngwie/James Murphy/Jeff Loomis always gets one in the mood.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:03 am 

Our vocalist has finished the vocal tracks. However I don't really care for how he did them... But in the end we got it recorded, mixed, mastered and possibly put out for free. He sounds really "hardcore" for the tracks and he was screaming as loud as he could doing them and he was hurting his voice. It kind of works for our older songs since they weren't really cohesive when looked at as a group but our new stuff we have really honed in on a specific sound and it wouldn't make sense if he didn't do something more gruff or low. We will talk to him about it but its nothing big. He is still great live and having a good live singer is just as important. Seeing as we've only been around for less then a year and it being our first recordings I am really proud of it even though it's not the greatest.

Haven't done much other then practicing. Playing with Nokturnal Hellstorm on Oct. 6 which has Dan Lilker on bass as well as the Rochester Metal Fest on Dec. 20. Might play with The FU's (Old Boston hardcore punk band) next year which would be awesome. Going to try to put on some shows as well for next year.

Someone do some noise stuff with me.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:37 am 

Is there a minimum price for digital albums on bandcamp? Because I don't want to give away my stuff for free, but I also think it's ridiculous to ask people to pay $5 or more for a bunch of fucking mp3s, I'd prefer if I could ask 50 cents or so per album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 185  Next