Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:11 am 

Yea that would be annoying. That's why I don't get excited or put much effort into prepping for a show until it's absolutely certain it's going to happen. But still that's annoying.

DarkWhatever, sludge/black.... sorta like Dragged into Sunlight? Also you are burnt out after doing 11 songs in 4 months? I'd be pissed I was so unproductive. I'm pissed if I only did 11 songs in a month.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:11 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Josh and I decided that I'm gonna mix the straight black metal project he and I are doing. We're recording the music with the same guy we're doing Blacksoul with, but to keep costs down I'm gonna do the actual mixing on my school's Pro Tools machine. It's my first time doing any instrument mixing whatsoever, so learn by practice I guess will be the philosophy here.

go through my recording/mixing/mastering thread. I'll be getting to the overall mixing and mastering parts soon (eventually). It may help a bit.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:14 pm 

One of these days my neighbors won't be home and I'll be able to play the drums again. I almost wish I had bought electric drums, at least I could practice them all the time.

Wrote a couple BDM songs, just kinda messing around. I gave them names like "impaled by a hundred walrus dicks" and "fisting for education" because why not.

My cat's sitting on one of my amps staring out the window. There's a bunch of little birds on the fence and he's going nuts making these chirping noises. His eyes about to pop out of his head. Hahaha.

DarkWhatever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:03 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea that would be annoying. That's why I don't get excited or put much effort into prepping for a show until it's absolutely certain it's going to happen. But still that's annoying.

DarkWhatever, sludge/black.... sorta like Dragged into Sunlight? Also you are burnt out after doing 11 songs in 4 months? I'd be pissed I was so unproductive. I'm pissed if I only did 11 songs in a month.

Not really Dragged into Sunlight. Closer to Coffinworm or Wolvhammer, but more "to the point," and death metal inspired. Sludge/black is the easiest way to describe it but I wouldn't say its inherently black metal or sludge.

I canto just decide to write and expect something good to come out. There's a certain time and feeling and I just know when it's right. I can shit out a million decent riffs a day but when it comes to full songs and structures I just don't have it in me to do it on demand. When I do feel inspired I get it the song done in one or two grueling sessions. Sometimes I write and record for 8 hours with maybe one bathroom break. When I do write its relentless and unhealthy which is probably why I feel wiped out for the next few days.

I scrap a lot of stuff. It doesn't sound like a lot of work but I'm just one dude doing all of this shit. When I say I wrote 11 songs, I mean I wrote them, recorded the guitar tracks, programmed the drums (which takes a long time if you want them to sound realistic), and mixed everything. I wasn't doing all of this 7 days a week either.

It was a learning experience. I've never done all of the work alone before. I spent way more time mixing and learning to layer than I did actually holding a guitar.

If you wanna hear any of my songs just shoot me a private message.

Last edited by DarkWhatever on Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkWhatever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:28 pm 

Actually, here...

Here's a long varied one

http://youtu.be/4ZKB_ZFLZfY

Here's a short fast one

http://youtu.be/Nd1lpIZGFkw

These are bare bones recordings so please excuse the tone. No vocals until I record the actual album.

The only modern bands my sound is inspired by are Lord Mantis and Coffinworm, but I'm not really that kind of band.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:16 pm 

I kinda want to try to do pig squeals. I don't like them and I would never use them in my own music, but I think it would be fun to do.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:10 pm 

I'm listening to the longer song I def hear the Lord Mantis, a tiny bit of Coffinworm. I'm digging it.

and I get being wiped out from your writing sessions. The reason I thought that was so small cause both Inifinite and me kinda turn out albums like clock work. And not any dip in quality so it's not that we are putting out half assed material. And we both do everything ourselves, infinite more with programming drums and only now dipping into playing. And me I've always played all instruments I hate programming.
I scrutinize and throw tons of shit away, I just happen to have enough projects and enjoy writing all year long that I basically compile tons of material for various bands over time while completing one or the other releases completely in a session and others broken up over months.
But hell just this year which was a slow slow year for me, I released 3-4 full length albums, about 4 eps, 2 splits. and that's not including what I have to finish mixing this month which will be another split, 3 full lengths, and another ep. Which doesn't include the material I've written that I'm having a co-collaborator that's doing lyrics and vocals. which is another 2 albums. nor doesn't include the material I'm drumming to that I have to do upon I return from out of town work.

But this is your first work of you doing everything and well it sounds good. So keep it up.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:12 pm 

infinite, they aren't all that fun. I've done them live in a band, and I've used them on a rough demo with that band. They are actually kinda boring to perform. if you plan on using them, they are more interesting when you use them as just another voice to throw in on a track. Like something to emphasis a point in the vocals.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 pm 

Oh I don't really want to use them, I think they sound silly. I may write one song never to release and put like one pig squeal in there, just to do it. Just for shits and giggles, or as I'm fond of saying, just for giggleshits.

And to side with what SLK said, this year I've released 1 EP and 2 full length albums and I'm finishing up another full length album and 3 more EPs. Now that I'm really getting into the groove of writing all this music, next year I'll probably write twice as much. Especially if I can get this god damn place to myself so I can play more drums and get better at them.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:34 pm 

with our up coming Immaculate Molestation throw one or two on there and I will to. cause the vocalist had planned on doing some of them. haha.

My yea was kinda ate between going out of town and sometimes not being sure if I'm leaving town or not so I'd put off certain things and then getting a ton of new gear which also kinda pushed me towards holding off on certain other projects cause I had specific tones in mind I wanted to use. Now I have most of that in place this next year is going to destroy. The only thing that I'm holding off more on that I've been wanting to do is some more doom material more death-ish basically I want to do something similar to a mix of Corrupted having a fist fight with Bunkur using amps as fists. I need my 5 way switch so I can run multiple amps at once to get 2 guitar tracks per take using different setups to mix down.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:44 pm 

This was a big year of musical discovery for me. Counting immaculate molestation, I have or am part of 10 bands now. So that's cool. Last year it was just one. I just love trying out new genres and new techniques and sometimes even new tunings, like F#, which is strangely fun though admittingly half useless haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:17 pm 

Ditto, I'm always trying new things or trying to do things I've already done but attempting to do in a different way.. as in with Ishimura and my new project Vacuus. Ishimura was started as in my interpretation of Portal and then my friend did vocals over it and it turned into this different beast. And since he can't really do anything recording for a great while and I feel his vocals are at least half the reason the band is what it is I'm putting it on hold and started on this new project with a guy who's doing vocals and bass. it's coming from the same mindspace as what I was doing with Ishimura, but def sounds quite different. Which I'm glad. basically while Ishimura turned more into a black/death noise hybrid this newer one is closer to the atmospheric death metal that Portal is known for.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:45 pm 

Sweet. I have a couple ideas I want to do, especially after a little more practice on the drums. I want to do a grindcore/goregrind deal but with like 30 second songs, like dragunov. The shorter songs would be great for my drum skill level, since I don't have the stamina yet with my kick drums. Whenever my neighbors are gone next - hopefully this weekend - I'm going to try to bang out like 20 songs on the drums, just some blasts, accents, and whatever, and then write songs to them. I also wrote 5 more songs, 4 of which I like, for the breaking wheel, most around a minute. I need to send those to you eventually. I figure out of those we can probably get 2 we both like, and end up with a solid 5 song EP, plus some leftover riffs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:22 pm 

Sounds like a plan to me. That'll be awesome. also as far as some inspiration for some grindcore for short songs... spend some time listening to mid era Nasum... specifically the album Inhate/Exhale

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:50 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I made a noise band as a joke but apparently people like it so I'm gonna make an album of that this weekend probably.

Well, since all the cool kids are doing it...

After that discussion in FFA I browsed some harsh noise and then moved on to power electronics. I didn't really enjoy that any more but whereas harsh noise seems like it's a mix of hipsters, weirdos and potheads, some power electronics I came across has seriously hateful vibes. I wasn't doing much tonight except trying to begin quitting smoking, which is making me angry, so I decided to record an album of synth noise and shouting into a mic through guitar pedals.

I used only analog synthesizers so I'm totally gonna be a snob about that. I'm thinking of calling the project ANALOG HATE FUCK.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:52 am 

Got the art for the Blacksoul song earlier. Hand done paintings (or in this case, hand done charcoal arts) are so great when done well.

The color scheme is kinda Van Gogh-ish to me, particularly the hills in the background.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
I used only analog synthesizers so I'm totally gonna be a snob about that. I'm thinking of calling the project ANALOG HATE FUCK.

THEY'RE BETTER THAN SOFTWARE MAN THE SOUND IS SO MUCH WARMER AND RICHER :lol:

I combined my Yamaha V50 with my Korg M1 software yesterday and decided to write some incredibly nerdy-sounding dungeon synth. Basically Summoning without the metal bits. And it is glorious, the combination of tinny trumpet samples and heavily-reverbed midi drums. Not sure how long I'll actually pursue this, but I'll throw something up here if I get a few tracks done.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:08 pm 

I used a too thin pick for rehearsals today and after a punishing set of nonstop 45 minutes of high speed death/thrash my index finger fucking hurts like a motherfucker. Not enough plastic mass to absorb the shock I guess, but I hope it's nothing permanent.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:32 pm 

So I switched out my A-string for the first time (never changed strings by myself before) and I can't seem to get it tuned to A. It is either too low, or when I raise it one step on the amp's tuner, it is tuned to D. I am 100% positive it is the right string, same type of string as the others, I am wondering if maybe I did something wrong when I put it on. It seems to be wound a lot more than the other strings but if that's the problem how come it gets too low?

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:07 pm 

It might be that your tuner sucks. Just get the other strings tuned right and do your A string by ear (if you don't know how, time to learn! everyone should be able to do this)

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:35 pm 

Yeah I just managed to fix it, tuned it down to the lowest I felt I could without it snapping and then worked my way up with my ear. Fucking tuner, it only shows if it is sharp/flat so I never know which note it is tuned to. At least it works for getting it in tune to itself.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:13 pm 

Get a better tuner, if it doesn't show the notes. Some low-budget clip-ons pick up a lot of other stuff besides the note you're trying to tune, like vibrations or harmonics from the other strings, or even fret buzz.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:20 pm 

So Spirit Division decided to play an open mic night a couple nights ago as an acoustic act and it was about as entertaining as I expected. We only played three songs and the ten patrons still there at 1:30am were on the other side of the bar, but the sound really transferred well to an acoustic environment. Definitely something we'd do in the future though it'd probably be more appropriate for a coffeehouse than a rock bar.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:44 pm 

FINALLY I got a tone that I'm happy with out of that god damn V30. I bought a cheap pillow today and stuffed it in the bottom of my isolation cab as I heard that helps a touch with some of the boxiness and moved the mic around just a hair, and finally got something good. And not just good enough to lay down some tracks, but I'm actually happy with it. So I once again redid the guitar tracks for the breaking wheel stuff and a few other grindy songs I have laying around, hopefully for the last time. Tomorrow I'll plug my VTM-60 into my speaker and tweak the sound for that and redo all the tracks for my OSDM project, and as long as it sounds good I'll work on finalizing that EP. I also have 7 songs for Devourer done or basically done, so just a couple more and I'll have a full length done with that. Yay for progress.

I still need to get around to ordering a new neck for my les paul. I just need to find a 25.5" scale 22 fret neck with 3X3 tuners for a good price. Every 25.5" scale neck I find always has 6 in a row tuners. I could always just order one from carvin or warmoth or something, but I would like to keep the price down.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:17 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Got the art for the Blacksoul song earlier. Hand done paintings (or in this case, hand done charcoal arts) are so great when done well.

Spoiler: show

The color scheme is kinda Van Gogh-ish to me, particularly the hills in the background.

So the song is about Zelda? Also I don't get Van Gogh from that in any element.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:51 pm 

Finally found a new neck for my les paul for cheap so I ordered it. I just hope it's in good condition. It's 24 frets, so I will have to route the neck pocket a little, but I figure that's kinda inevitable at this point. Now I just need a new pickup for my SG and I'll be good.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:17 pm 

I still haven't used those lace pickups worth a fuck. I tried dropping one in my doraldo and it's just shit. I didn't do something right and I haven't bothered to mess with it since.

Just picked up a Kustom tucknroll '67 215 with the original Jensen speakers to match my other one. Very thrilled. it's going to be part of my live set up for Dragunov... all I need now to complete what I want to do is one more Kustom 215 like the 2 I now have. That or 2 Ampeg 412 A2 cabs. whichever one comes first. I have my eye on multiples of both.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:02 pm 

Ah I would love to play a live show some day. Whenever my divorce is over I should look for other metal musicians in the area and see what I can find.

I got the paintings the other day by the way. They look awesome, thanks.

Excited about hopefully redoing the guitars for the last time for my OSDM project tomorrow. Then it's just album artwork time and I'll release the EP. Should be 5 songs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:30 pm 

what you have planned for the artwork for the osdm?

and glad you got em and you enjoy. they'll enjoy watching you masturbate.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:09 am 

CEILING CAT

No clue what to do for the OSDM artwork. Something old school, lol. Since it's more death/thrash, I was thinking something thrashy in nature, like something mildly violent or aggressive. I dunno.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:16 am 

were you thinking color, or black and white?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:29 am 

For those of you who don't keep up with the FFA, I made a Faustian Orbs full length. Check it out here:

http://faustianorbs.bandcamp.com/album/unicorn-entrails

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:33 am 

Probably color. Like I said I hadn't given it a ton of thought, as artwork is pretty much my nemesis. Maybe something with teeth. I dunno.

iamntbatman, I'm not really into noise, but I really got a kick out of your song titles.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:42 am 

Haha, thanks. They were fun to come up with.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:49 am 

That's one of the things I like about goregrind is coming up with the grossest song titles possible, while adding some humor.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:56 am 

You heard it here first folks: goregrind and noise, the song titles are better than the music!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:21 am 

Hahahaha. In some cases, yeah.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:05 pm 

Retracked 5 songs for my OSDM EP. Now I'm feeling lazy suddenly, and I don't want to mix it, much less master. I guess I'll do that tonight, along with who knows what else. Today is a really boring day. But at least it's snowing a little.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:45 pm 

So, final gig for this year done!

We opened up for Smothered who had their release party yesterday, along with Feral who traveled from up north to play 30 minutes of death metal for us in Stockholm.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:55 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
You heard it here first folks: goregrind and noise, the song titles are better than the music!

Fucking truth for the most part. More time spent on that aspect than the actual composition that's supposed to represent the title.

I wasn't aware Smothered released their album. I thought it was early next year it was coming out.

sounds like it was a good show Porman.

iamntbatman, don't really care about noise. but good on you being productive.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 185  Next