Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:23 am 

Yay! I finally got my new computer! 64 bit OS, quad core at 2.9ghz, 8 gig ram at 1333mhz and a 1 Tb drive- nothing too crazy but it’s certainly a step up for me. After work today I’m going to go buy a new interface and an a new version of my DAW (I’m about 5 version behind haha).

Think I’ll need to wait on getting new monitors, but for now I am really excited to get recording with my new gear.

blacknumenorean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:41 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I've just uploaded a full song of the upcoming Forestfather album (in pre production tho, I need to send the tracks to studio). Rumpusaurus is doing the vocals, SLK the drums and I handle the rest of the instruments.

http://www.reverbnation.com/c./poni/113364637

I won't be mixing this, but I would like to have your impressions about the song.

Great riffs and vocals, solid atmosphere throughout the entire track. Looking forward to a final mix!
doc of the band wore hyperblats blatsbeats were either faster than normal? The Ultimate Incantation album on the music final massacre in the 1.52 to 2.18 blatsbeats seem to be faster than the constant music blastbeat

My Band
www.myspace.com/vanekmetal

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:59 pm 

Thanx a lot man! I can't wait to have the album finished! It should be done before june ends, therefore I'll be spamming the promotional forum with it. Not sure if it'll be released by myself or a label, but I'll stream it completely in reverbnation and bandcamp (former to promote, latter to sell it).

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:22 am 

I play in a two piece black metal band, and I know I posted about it here before, but we have really been growing as songwriters (or so I like to believe). We have played two shows (one in Knoxville, TN with Malignant Christ and Cranial Impalement, and another in Virginia Beach, VA with Decieverion), and we have another show booked this month (with Mysteriarch and Melankolia).

Here's one of our more recent songs. I'm the guitar player:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r05DCJs2SE

If you like it, check out our Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/OfficialOakmoon

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:33 am 

Last night I was messing about on my guitar, and suddenly came up with a couple of droney post-black metal type riffs. Started arranging them, and I've currently got about eight minutes written, with quite a lot more to go... Should be quite interesting to see how it turns out.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:38 pm 

Trying to write out some guitar and bass parts for a doom metal piece I'm working on. I might not even use a bass guitar for the bass parts(might use a tuba?) I know there's a lot of superior musicians on the board, so any tips would be appreciated.
P.S. Going for a funeral doom sound.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 pm 

Been working on some Green Destroyed material the past few days, almost done with a track, just needs vocals and maybe some more guitar and keyboard tracks. Gonna get properly started on the songwriting challenge tomorrow, gonna do some kind of Black/Doom/Ambient/Folk thing with a medieval vibe about it.

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:19 am 

Slaytanic55 wrote:
Trying to write out some guitar and bass parts for a doom metal piece I'm working on. I might not even use a bass guitar for the bass parts(might use a tuba?) I know there's a lot of superior musicians on the board, so any tips would be appreciated.
P.S. Going for a funeral doom sound.

Bass isn't usually a very prominent feature in like 99% of funeral doom (at least from what I've heard). It almost always just guitars, keys and drums. So I suppose you can just do anything you want with the bass. Playing something faster than the guitars would be rather interesting, as would making it the focal point here and there. Of course you're going to have to make it audible, haha.

Pretty much done writing my second album. Starting on the third now. Jammed out a short interlude kind of thing full of shifting arpeggios. Not much else.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:34 am 

It was a pretty productive weekend for Psychic Faith though rather hectic.

On Friday, I got a request around 6:30pm from a local promoter to play an impromptu set at 1am that night due one of the bands that was supposed to play not showing it. I agreed to do it but this was also the night that Danzig played in Indianapolis and my drummer and I had gotten our tickets a week in advance. So we ended up going to the Danzig concert, going back to his house and got our stuff together, and then got to the venue about 15 minutes before we were supposed to go on. As you'd guess, our performance could've been a lot better since two of my members were incredibly exhausted, but everyone that was left at the venue was really nice about it and understood the circumstances.

Saturday was a lot more productive as we had another audition with a second guitarist and managed to write some new music for a set of lyrics that my drummer's been kicking around for the last year or so. I know our future plans consist of a Battle Of The Bands next Saturday, further auditions and working on new songs, random bits of touring through the summer, and hopefully recording an EP this August.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:34 pm 

Thanks a lot, triggerhappy. It's weird because I've usually found the bass prominent in funeral doom. Maybe it's just the down-tuned guitars. :durr:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:52 pm 

The final version of Forestfather's Ethereal up!

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_13463535

The rest of the songs are being worked right now, I can't wait for the whole album finished!

edit: Now in Reverbnation.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:24 am 

Slaytanic55 wrote:
Thanks a lot, triggerhappy. It's weird because I've usually found the bass prominent in funeral doom. Maybe it's just the down-tuned guitars. :durr:

If it helps, I recently came across a funeral doom track that nicely utilises bass. It pokes through in some moments, adding an interesting new dimension to the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFID_KPmMz4

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 am 

New ep is finally out!

You can check it out here. 45 rpm grinding thrash/death. 150 on green / 150 on black
http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com/album/inhale-awaits-ep
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:57 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
New ep is finally out!

You can check it out here. 45 rpm grinding thrash/death. 150 on green / 150 on black
http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com/album/inhale-awaits-ep

Pretty cool stuff, any plans for a full length in the future? I normally don't like covers but I always like hearing Into the Crypts of Rays, good choice. I also dig that holy-shit-that-is-green bass and how that kind of matches the EP's color scheme.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:45 pm 

Thanks man, glad you dig it. We've got a split cassette with Coffin Dust, a 7" single, and another 7" ep coming out and then, hopefully, we can get someone to do an LP for us... that's the plan anyway. We've got enough tracks recorded and ready to be mixed and mastered to cover the split and the 7" single and we're working on new stuff for the other 7" which will be out by the end of the year and then we'll start working on stuff for the LP.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:21 pm 

looks like I'm at another guitar dilemma, and this time it's a bass. I have a choice between a Dean Flying V bass or a BC Rich Virgo Celtic style

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:44 pm 

tough call. I like Deans better and last year bought another one to record with when I tune to D.

I like the body style of the virgo, but know nothing of how it actually sounds or plays.

as experience with Dean's I'd go with that. I have 3 dean guitars of various styles and now this bass, more so to replace my old dean bass that was stolen years ago.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:47 pm 

I have played Dean bass' for years. I'm not much a fan of flying V's but both bass' I've had from them have been great (a big hollow-body and a custom zone which I play now). When I bought the custom zone I wanted a bass that I could beat the piss out of and not feel bad since it only cost $200 and that's exactly what I got. It's nothing special for $200 but it plays well enough and is reliable and that's about all I could ask for. I run the thing through 2 distortion pedals so I honestly can't say a lot about tone etc. but I've been able to get it to sound the way I want and that's all the matters to me personally.

I have no experience with BC Rich bass' though I'd love to have a mockingbird bass as I loved the mockingbird guitar I had for years.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 pm 

For BC Rich, only Ironbird basses are real.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:41 pm 

So I've decided to change this sludge band into a d-beat/sludge band. Going to have a full band practice soon and I have 4 songs done.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:58 pm 

Wrote this fuckin' sweet little BAN-ish (MVII) ditty complete with similar 'ethereal' harmonies. Really happy with it, since BAN are pretty much my fave BM band ever. Yet again I don't how to progress with it, though. :(

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 pm 

Just came back home today from being out of town for 2 weeks. immediately went to the shed to get acustom to playing again... haha I wrote and recorded a song for CA.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 am 

My post-metal band uploaded our first recording.

https://soundcloud.com/glacier-band/glacier-river

orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:25 am 

Awblaster wrote:
My post-metal band uploaded our first recording.

https://soundcloud.com/glacier-band/glacier-river

I really like this man. Good stuff. I'm jamming it sitting here at work and its making my day better. This also sounds alot like the style I write too - the post-metal vibe. I need to find some way to record here in the near future.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:32 pm 

Yeah Awblaster, stuff like that isn't usually my bag but I thought it was nicely done. Definitely something nice and chill to listen to.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:05 pm 

I'm up to not getting to sleep anything like on time because I have to keep stumbling back to the computer to plunk out unamplified doom lines my alpha state was performing in my head. If I could tape my pre-dreams, I'd be so happy.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 pm 

Awblaster, sounded nice but it was like post-post... very little metal to be had at all except for like that one riff with some double bass for a few moments. nice recording though. Wouldn't listen again.

Wrote and recorded 4 tracks for KP's next release which will be an ep.

still haven't quite decided what to do for the song challenge but I have sort of an idea what I'm leaning towards.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:57 pm 

New drummer in the band, maybe things will get back to normal again.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 pm 

Been experimenting with more dissonant riffs and made up chords. Finding putting songs together difficult.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 pm 

wrote and recorded four more KP songs today. pretty decent. I think with another 4 or 5 i can call that ep wrapped up.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 pm 

Started recording my song for the challenge down today; got a keyboard track for the intro done, gonna work on some rhythm guitar, bass, drum machine tomorrow.

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:16 pm 

My black metal band played a show last night. We got asked to play the morning of the show, becaues one of the bands dropped off. But we were both planning on attending the show anyway, so we said yes. Here's some footage... If you like it, our Facebook page is www.facebook.com/OfficialOakmoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI6YT4CoIas

PS: I'm the guitar player.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 pm 

Me and my guys have this show tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/events/345622252114565/

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm 

Still practicing, writing songs, and hoping I stumble upon anyone else who wants to play music together. Haven't been doing much metal in the past few months, mostly acoustic stuff, but I improvised this a while ago: http://db.tt/dVlzVHxZ

Used some drums from another song I wrote a while ago, improvised guitar in 2 or 3 takes, did the vocals (without any lyrics...) in 1. Good enough for me!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:22 pm 

Searching long and hard for a suitable label as well as review and distro sites. :/

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 pm 

Kind of excited for next week. Myself and the guy I've been jamming with are getting together with another couple of dudes - one is a drummer who I've been playing in garage bands with since we were 16/17 (the main one including the guy I've been jamming with), and the other is a guitarist who I've jammed with twice - once being with this drummer. We're going to a cheap studio and just gonna let rip on some Judas Priest and Sabbath, as well as probably show the guys some of the stuff we've been working on. I'm happy with a lot of it and I think they will be too - its got moments of Crashdiet, Bob Wayne & The Dark Carnies, Sabbath, Maiden and Down all kinda thrown together.

Really hope it works out - I've got faith in the abilities of both of them, just hope they want to be a part of a band. If they don't it isn't the end of the world, and I'm happy to just jam with them occasionally, but it'd be cool to kill two birds with one stone. I think the guitarist is up for it, but not sure about the drummer - he is a pretty amazing player and an awesome dude, it is just a matter of having the time to commit to a band.

But if all that works out, we'll start searching for another guitarist - there is another dude I know who I used to play in a band with (the one with that drummer and the guy I've been jamming with) but again, I'm unsure if he'd be happy enough to be a part of a hopefully gigging and recording metal band. The band I used to be in with him he wrote a lot of amazing guitar parts, some really cool heavy, and even southern-rocky type riffs. If we get him, I'm confident we will sound fucking good.

Blergh, sorry for ranting - I realize I'm not showing songs and talking about gigs like a lot of you guys are, but it is good to kind of post about my slow progress towards a band, haha.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 pm 

Getting our vocalist up to speed. Writing new stuff.

Hopefully playing by the end of this month, early next month. It will have been since November since any of us (save for our singer) have played out. Time to get the ball rolling again, properly this time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:35 pm 

Didn't have much time today to do much.. I did write and record 2 KP songs and one for CA.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:02 pm 

SLK, you doing any new 54R material? That stuff is THE SHIT!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 pm 

Actually yes, there is a new ep that I'm trying to wrap up the final touches of the mix. it's going to be released on Stornhorn Productions I guess in the next couple of months once it's finalized.
a track that is going to be on is featured on this comp:
http://sociopathicsound.bandcamp.com

after that we have 3 splits and a full length that we are immediately starting recording on.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 185  Next