Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:32 pm 

Writing goregrind lyrics is odd. Of course I start writing gory this and that, but I just can't take it seriously.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:45 pm 

Okay, here's 2 of the songs I wrote.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 0title.mp3

And this one is the fastest I can play blast beats right now. And my right kick is definitely louder than my left, gotta work on that. And my snare isn't loud enough in the blasts. But oh well, still learning.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72840986/4.mp3

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:49 pm 

I also just pick up the guitar and start playing stuff. Like SLK, I don't get writer's block because when I write a song I'll write it no matter what. Sometimes it'll take a few days to finish it if there are many riffs. And while I'm writing it, I'll be sitting in front of my computer typing it out in powertab, because there have been a few times when I wrote something and the next day I couldn't remember the exact timing.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:02 pm 

It's funny, really. I do my writing in two distinct ways. One, I'll just sit around with my guitar dicking around until I write something that sounds good, then I jot it down or put it in Guitar Pro so I don't forget it or whatever. Since I'm usually writing with the goal of having complete songs, I then just play that riff a bunch until it morphs into a second riff or a totally different riff that would sound good comes into my head or something, then I try to find ways to utilize multiple riffs together to make a complete song.

The other way is that, after a day of working as above, I'll be laying in bed trying to fall asleep then suddenly a riff will just come to me, then I jump out of bed and grab my guitar and a pen and try to get it down before I forget it, haha. I've actually found that these are the best riffs I write.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Wanderer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:19 pm 

I write my guitar rifts and the "bones" of my songs the same ways. Once I have the guitars/drums/bass recorded, ill improvise over that with lead guitars and keyboards. I'll use those tracks as scratch tracks for finalizing lead melodies and harmonies and go from there. All of my solos are improvised.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:11 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Yeah one of these days I'll have to learn how to set everything up properly. I need a real throne also, instead of sitting on the edge of my computer chair, haha. At least it's at the right height. After your description it does look like my beaters are back kinda far. Probably about 6 inches or so. That's probably what's doing it, and also why it's so much effort to play faster kicks.

Yea most likely and the whole seat situation, that's subjective to what's comfortable. I can't even use a drum stool anymore. I use an actual bar stool I think one that's 24in tall. it's either 24 or 26 I can't remember. I had a drum stool and let my friend borrow it and he left me what he was using which was a bar stool and I drummed off that for 8 years till i fucking left it in new orleans after playing with Phobia and Wormrot. It's the only time I've ever left a piece of equipment behind so I had to go buy a new one from walmart and I've been drumming off that for 2 years. only thing I miss is my old one had some padding on it and this one doesn't. But fuck... 20 bucks beats whatever the fuck drum stools cost nowadays.

Also awesome goregrind. it's actually musical so therefore interesting. just as good as Cock and Ball Torture or The Day Everything Became Nothing... though they aren't a goregrind band or really grind. but the way you utilize a lot of groove and how your vocals are hitting me def reminds me of them.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:26 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The other way is that, after a day of working as above, I'll be laying in bed trying to fall asleep then suddenly a riff will just come to me, then I jump out of bed and grab my guitar and a pen and try to get it down before I forget it, haha. I've actually found that these are the best riffs I write.

Most of my best songs come this way also, and I find usually right after work or right before bed is the most likely time to get an idea. I usually get a chord progression or two, drum pattern and vocal hook, or at least the opening line and a melody. It's weird relying on this method for your best stuff, but *shrug*. Creativity can be a strange thing.

From time to time I get something good playing about on a synth, and once I've got a song it takes work to finish it, but my best stuff always starts by appearing out of the ether.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:16 am 

Going to try and see if some people in my area want to do a goregrind/death metal band with me. Kind of want to do vocals in a band and play shows and not take it very seriously but focus on having fun. Kind of like Bathtub Shitter mixed with early Regurgitate I guess. No pitch shifted vocals or pig squeals, just low gutturals and crazy screams.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:30 am 

if it sounds like either of those bands it'll be awesome. Never really considered either of them goregrind.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:52 am 

I'm not familiar with either of those bands, but I'm also going for something similar with my goregrind, i.e., no super pitched sifted vocals and pig squeals all over the place. I did one quick squeal (or pig grunt?) in one song above just to do it, but I don't like bands that do them constantly. It begins to sound almost silly to me. And the super pitched shifted vocals have their place I guess but they aren't for me, so I'd rather just do gutteral stuff with the ocassional scream or short squeal just for fun.

Also going to try to adjust my kick drum pedals today whenever I get home. I have a big ass bruise on top of my right foot and I don't bruise easily at all, so there's definitely a problem, and I believe it's because my beaters are way too far back. I imagine getting them closer will help me play faster also.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:00 am 

they will, you might have to take a second to get used to it but it's worth it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:01 am 

Also me having cheap pedals doesn't help. A set of axis longboards would be nice, or at least some other higher end ones, but I'll have to make do with my cheapos for now. I have to take a closer look at my pedals, I don't think I can adjust how far the beater rests away from the head. All I can adjust is beater length and spring tension, looks like.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:28 am 

I feel like Regurgitate is definitely more goregrind-y especially with Carnivorous Erection but I prefer the material without the pitch shifted gurgle vocals (or less of it). Their split with Cripple Bastards and Sickening Bliss are great. Infinite you should listen to Bathub Shitter they are fantastic and the singer is awesome. Hopefully people aren't lame and will want to do something. I just want to jam every now and then, record a shitty demo and play a show when we can.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:21 pm 

My favorite RGTE stuff has always been either Effortless Regurgitation of Bright Red Blood or Hatefilled Vengeance, especially the former; near-perfect mix of grind and death metal with awesome vox.

I feel I've written enough material to set out to record a proper demo of the new band/project I've been working on. I've been practicing drums a lot in an attempt to give the sound the crushing quality I want it to have, and I feel I've found a killer bass tone that will add a certain nastiness to the riffs. Once all this holiday hustle n' bustle has calmed down I'm definitely going to spend most of my time getting this shit recorded. Still haven't decided on a proper name for this though... :lol:

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:21 pm 

Bathtub shitter. That's a fantastic band name. I can imagine telling my grandma about my new band. What are they called honey? Oh my band's called 'bathtub shitter', grandma! Hahaha.

He does have a good sounding voice though. I should try to get a fuzzier bass tone for my goregrind.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:33 pm 

You can try recording bass through a Digitech Death Metal. Don't like it at all but I hear many people like recording bass through it for that deathly bass-fuzz. Not my kinda thing in the slightest but it might just be what you're looking for.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:57 pm 

I usually do direct input for bass. I have some good VST distortion pedals, so I'll have to see what sounds good. On that note, I have a couple actual distortion pedals, including a nice handmade tube one, so maybe I can distort it with that and run it into my computer. hmmmmm

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:24 pm 

Well, I cannot adjust the distance of my beater to my kick drum. Not with my cheap double pedal. So I'll have to make do for now, perhaps with less spring tension.

I decided to name my goregrind project Murderbeast, which was the name I gave a feral cat I took care of years ago. And while I'm fond of using DI for bass, as it's simple to get a nice rumbly tone, it's not good for a fuzzy bass tone, so I'm going to try micing my bass whenever I'm done with drums and have a mic free. Definitely going to try to get 10-20 goregrind songs done and do a split with someone.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 pm 

Some friends of mine were thinking at one point of doing a grind band called Shitcasket. I'd listen to a band called that.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:52 pm 

hahahahahahah. Turdburglar. I still think I should write a song called anal ass shitting.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:03 pm 

I wouldn't.

Usually anything fecal related I don't even bother checking out. Bathtub Shitter was an exception and even then I don't listen to them all that much. It's one of those things that if the best you can think of is adding shit, or fecal to some other word them I'm assuming the rest of the music will be as equally 'well thought out'

I get to return home tmwr. I'm thrilled I'll be getting back to work on recording.

Infinity, I'd do that split. I'm restarting my old grind band Shokushu Goukan that i let a friend do vocals for. I'm going to write some better songs and put more standard vocals over it cause the name and the logo I did for it are too good to waste.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:36 pm 

Ended up pushing moving to the 25th, and I've just been mainly packing since then, but I did manage to get a few tracks done for an EP. Finished the vocals on the last song today, and just finished mixing everything, so it's all ready to go. Think I'm gonna release it on CD on my Tome Of Unlife label come the first of the year, or try to anyways..

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:04 pm 

Cool deal! I look forward to that from ya!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:24 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I wouldn't.

Usually anything fecal related I don't even bother checking out. Bathtub Shitter was an exception and even then I don't listen to them all that much. It's one of those things that if the best you can think of is adding shit, or fecal to some other word them I'm assuming the rest of the music will be as equally 'well thought out'

I was the one who would have drummed on it, so I would have had to listen to at least the guitar tracks.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:28 pm 

Well good for you. If someone asked me to drum for something with that name, I wouldn't.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:34 pm 

The only things I'd reject playing on from name alone would be a Verb the Noun type core band, both because of the name and because I know there's not a whole lot to sink my teeth into creatively with groups like that.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 pm 

Just finished loading everything onto bandcamp for the new EP:
http://unlifedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/al ... -of-unlife

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The only things I'd reject playing on from name alone would be a Verb the Noun type core band, both because of the name and because I know there's not a whole lot to sink my teeth into creatively with groups like that.

which is how I feel about bands with shit/fecal in them.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:36 pm 

will listen when I get home. nothing on bandcamp works for me currently on laptop, Unlife

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:38 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Subrick wrote:

which is how I feel about bands with shit/fecal in them.

Same here. I mean pick up the nearest piece of reading material in the house if you REALLY CAN'T think of another word besides crap.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:57 am 

Bathtub Shitter is probably the only band that is fecal related but they aren't really shit related.

Practicing a lot of guitar in the next few weeks. Going to actually try and get better! Focusing on finger strength and getting my picking speed up. Then moving on to learning more scales and stuff. But my low E just broke so I have to get a new one before work tomorrow. Man...

Edit: And on top of this my right shoulder is having some pain and it won't go away and it sucks and I don't know what is wrong.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:10 am 

Found a 7 year old guitar which was rusted and dusty and hell(with a burnt out jack needing replacement to boot) in my storeroom today, my brother bought it ages ago and never played it. Cleaned it up til it's shining and I'll be able to sell it after I get the jack replaced. It's an entry-level SX guitar, not even comfortable or good enough to be my casual guitar, sadly. And I doubt I will get more than $50 for this.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 am 

You can install a new jack for cheap as long as you have a soldering iron. It's a very simple repair.

SLK, I'm down for the split. I'm going to try to get about 15 minutes' worth of songs done over the course of next week, and possibly this weekend.

And fuck all a ya'll. Anal ass shitting is the best song title in the world.

Subrick I have a new project that I want you to drum for, it's a band called felching the gimp and it's a metalcore band with a fecal twist. It's something to sink your teeth into.

Okay, I'm done now, I swear.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 am 

i'm not as picky with song titles because with certain bands I just ignore them cause the music is good. And most likely Bathtub Shitter has a songtitle like that since like 99% of their titles have 'shit' that's another reason I don't mind them.. first the music is good [I agree with you there Wizard] and second they go all out with the goofy shit titled songs. is the music wasn't there it'd be like anal cunt for me. barely amusing but not worth remembering.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:15 am 

I do rather enjoy the aspect of humor in goregrind, if properly done. Cattle Decap had a song called "Parasitic Infestation (Extracted Pus, Mistaken for Yogurt and Gargled)" and that always made me chuckle. I'm going to try to do a bit of that with my own stuff.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:18 am 

Also a funny little bit I just noticed, Jig-Ai is listed on grooveshark as "power metal". Surely that must have been a joke.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:40 pm 

I've always wanted to make an album like White Zombie's 'astrocreep'. I always loved that album. Neat samples, big heavy grooving riffs, the vocals were cool and rob zombie's annoying influence seemed a bit less than on other albums - it was more of a metal album than their others, especially songs like electric head part one. I wouldn't even know where to begin, I think.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:40 pm 

I've always wanted to make an album like White Zombie's 'astrocreep'. I always loved that album. Neat samples, big heavy grooving riffs, the vocals were cool and rob zombie's annoying influence seemed a bit less than on other albums - it was more of a metal album than their others, especially songs like electric head part one. I wouldn't even know where to begin, I think.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 pm 

I know enough white zombie fans that would tell you that's their biggest change of an album you would have to go back further for better music. I don't mind some humor in song titles and shit like in a band when it's secondary to the music itself. when it become the main focus that means the band failed at being an actual band.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:20 am 

I don't really like any of their stuff before la sexorcisto. To me it's just meandering noise rock and what sounds like a pre-pubescent rob zombie on vocals. Once J joined they got a lot more of a metal sound. And I definitely understand about the strangeness of the song titles and whatnot, but I just sum all that up to rob zombie being a douchebag, which is basically is. I can't stand him, personally, I just enjoyed WZ's music at the end, and I did enjoy his vocal style. But the rest of his contributions I felt took away from what they could have been.

Almost Friday, fucking finally. Tonight I'm going to plug a few guitars into a few amps and try to sort out some specific guitar tones for certain projects.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 185  Next