Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:02 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Well it's true.. lol. I write my lyrics in a certain way that I personally find interesting and by damn if anyone else likes, gets, or really enjoys them. I just know I'm satisfied with the results.

Jammed with what is now the doom band. Originally started as being more like Ulcerate while I was writing most everything. Kicked out one of the guitarists and let the other guitarist and bassist really start gelling and writing some interesting stuff that they are more comfortable with.. So it's now a doom band what has fast drums occasionally.

Oh and additionally went digging through some other old stuff that was recorded and found 3 more filtheater songs that are actually more suitable for this upcoming split since they have a rawer- doomier pace, so I'll write and do vocals for that and take these other 3 and release an 4th ep before finally composing the full length.

I myself haven't been satisfied with anything I've written lyrically yet :/

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:21 am 

Then punch yourself in the face for inspiration.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:45 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Then punch yourself in the face for inspiration.

you'd better not be trying to make me cry again...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:54 am 

I'm sorry, I'm a monster.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:08 am 

well, since the last time I've cried myself to sleep (no thanks to our ol' friend, ShaolinLambKiller), I've actually come up with a lyrical concept for the 8 sound collages that I've got written.
It's called Infectuality (a portmanteau of Infection and Duailty) and it explores atheistic satanism and maybe a bit of Luciferianism as well, the nature of humankind and its relationship to these concepts. It will have a misanthropic, paradoxical and ironic undertone as well (if I end up doing this shit right :scratch:)

BastardHead wrote:

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:11 am 

Currently I'm working on a full-length for my OSDM project, Unlife. At the moment, I've only got 3 completed songs (which are supposed to be released in demo form shortly) and I've also got a few more in the works. I figure 6-7 more songs and I'll have enough material for a whole album. Mike Pardi (Draconis, ex-Ritual) offered to do drums on it, and I'm currently waiting for him to send me a few drum tracks for a few of the songs on the Old Remains EP to see how everything sounds.

Just recently picked up a new guitar as well. Before I was using a Jackson JS32 with a Floyd Rose. I've had it for a few years and I'm so sick of the FR.. So I picked up an Epiphone '58 Flying V Goth Series for $189. Got the string-through model. Sick of dealing with the FR.

A while before I got the Epiphone, I picked up a Tascam 02MKII for like $12. Sound quality is shit, but everything works except port 2, and shortly after that, I got the Tascam MF-P01. Sound quality is a hell of a lot better, and everything works perfectly. Much easier to use. Probably going to use that for all of the guitar and vocal tracking.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
well, since the last time I've cried myself to sleep (no thanks to our ol' friend, ShaolinLambKiller), I've actually come up with a lyrical concept for the 8 sound collages that I've got written.
It's called Infectuality (a portmanteau of Infection and Duailty) and it explores atheistic satanism and maybe a bit of Luciferianism as well, the nature of humankind and its relationship to these concepts. It will have a misanthropic, paradoxical and ironic undertone as well (if I end up doing this shit right :scratch:)

I'll take full credit for inspiring you. :)

unlife... cool deal, be sure to let us know when it's up. or at least me, I love some osdm.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:17 pm 

Currently writing a grind song about Margaret Thatcher. Going to call it Zombie Thatcher Beatdown.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:54 pm 

Unlife wrote:
Currently I'm working on a full-length for my OSDM project, Unlife. At the moment, I've only got 3 completed songs (which are supposed to be released in demo form shortly) and I've also got a few more in the works. I figure 6-7 more songs and I'll have enough material for a whole album. Mike Pardi (Draconis, ex-Ritual) offered to do drums on it, and I'm currently waiting for him to send me a few drum tracks for a few of the songs on the Old Remains EP to see how everything sounds.

Nice, Mike's an awesome dude. My band played a few shows with Draconis last year, great guys and all super nice guys (and their drummers/other guitar players band Scrapmetal rules way too hard.) I'd be pretty interested to hear Unlife when you get it goin'

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:39 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Unlife wrote:

Nice, Mike's an awesome dude. My band played a few shows with Draconis last year, great guys and all super nice guys (and their drummers/other guitar players band Scrapmetal rules way too hard.) I'd be pretty interested to hear Unlife when you get it goin'

Yeah. Loved the Ritual album 'Soldiers Under Satan's Command' that he did pretty much everything on. Really excited to hear his drum tracking. And if you want to order the Old Remains EP, you can do it either from me, or from NWP here: http://nihilisticwinter.storenvy.com/pr ... ld-remains

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:46 am 

is that on tape? :(

anywy had band practice and also recorded 2 vocal tracks for KP and 54R got 2 vocal tracks down as well. not as much as I wanted done but at least it was something.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
is that on tape? :(

anywy had band practice and also recorded 2 vocal tracks for KP and 54R got 2 vocal tracks down as well. not as much as I wanted done but at least it was something.

Yeah. I've been meaning to look around for a few labels that might be interested in doing a CD release of it so it's more widely available.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm 

Good deal, cause tapes are the worst.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:37 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Good deal, cause tapes are the worst.

Well, naturally I prefer analog formats. I do most of my recording on that MF-P01 I picked up a while back, but it seems everyone would rather have CDs than tapes, and it's understandable, I just gotta find a label willing to do it. Any tips?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 pm 

Did you mix it on that MF-P01 as well? or did you transfer it to a computer to mix it down?

Cds are just superior to tapes. I'm not going to get into that discussion here.

Tips on attracting labels? Create shit that they might be interested in. I just went and released my own material myself under my own imprint, I really don't have the time to dry beg some labels. Though on one of my bands I could've released released stuff on what are now 2 larger independent DM labels but I opted to go with a smaller one that folded before anything came out so I instead of going back to the others I just started releasing myself. Those labels found my band through myspace and they just liked the music.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:29 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Did you mix it on that MF-P01 as well? or did you transfer it to a computer to mix it down?

Cds are just superior to tapes. I'm not going to get into that discussion here.

Tips on attracting labels? Create shit that they might be interested in. I just went and released my own material myself under my own imprint, I really don't have the time to dry beg some labels. Though on one of my bands I could've released released stuff on what are now 2 larger independent DM labels but I opted to go with a smaller one that folded before anything came out so I instead of going back to the others I just started releasing myself. Those labels found my band through myspace and they just liked the music.

The EP was recorded directly onto my PC, since I didn't have the MF-P01 when I was recording it. And yeah I know what you mean. I don't care what format my music is released on, be it CD, tape, or vinyl, which I doubt will happen anytime soon, or at all, even.

I did the same thing actually. I got tired of looking for labels, so I started my own label, which is what the EP was released on, but I'd like for the Unlife stuff to get a wider distribution, and on different formats. I suppose once I get closer to finishing this album I'll just promote the hell out of it and see what happens.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:37 pm 

Upgrading some of my gear today. Bought two Axis A21 Derek Roddy signature pedals (the kind with the eKit trigger already installed).

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 pm 

I did a stupid grind song about Margaret Thatcher: http://necroticgoatslaughter.bandcamp.c ... r-beatdown

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:03 pm 

Poll tax from beyond the grave.

Love it.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:29 am 

Have any of you ever had a riff/song idea just come out of the blue, and it doesn't fit any band/gig you are currently working on?

I had that happen about a week ago. It's more of a traditional hard rock / groove thing. Doesnt' fit my old school thrash gig AT ALL. No idea where the hell it came from.

I need to record this thing and get it behind me :).

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 am 

that happens to me all the time. In fact, I've got a melodeath song I've yet to finish completely.

BastardHead wrote:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:16 pm 

.. trying to figure out how to browse while playing guitar. currently failing.

soul_schizm wrote:
Have any of you ever had a riff/song idea just come out of the blue, and it doesn't fit any band/gig you are currently working on?

Happened right now while I was warming up, oddly. I'm going to start putting those in a swatch bin.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 pm 

Working on a long DsO-esque piece, have the guitar down, currently programming drums which I've never done before. I've yet to figure out how to do proper triplets with it... I would record them regularly but I only have one mic :ugh: Now I need to get my bass and keyboard from a friend and start writing for them. On an unrelated note, I just sanded down my Bronze Series Warlock and plan to paint some kind of intricate design on it, does anyone have experience with painting guitars? If so what kind of paints should I use to ensure minimal bleeding?

guitar_metal_777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 pm 

In chicago looking for some new projects. I've been all over the place since I haven't been in a band for about 2 years now. Tried joining a post-rock group on bass, but the old guy wanted back in so he got his spot back.

Mostly been writing math rock/post punk tappy riffs and a couple acoustic songs. Honestly, I'm up for anything, be it guitar in some metal band or playing bass in a hip-hop group, as long as there are people willing to let me play haha. Maybe I'll actually post something on the metal-archives soon.

Noktorn wrote:
I'd imagine that my parents are very tired with me saying "OH MY GOD LISTEN TO THIS RIFF HERE IT'S AMAZING why are you walking away from me. "

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
that happens to me all the time. In fact, I've got a melodeath song I've yet to finish completely.

Yeah, I'm tracking on the idea right now. It's currently sounding just a little too much like something Alice in Chains would've done. It'll need to sound more original, otherwise I'm going to drop it.

This also happens to me a lot: I comp on an idea for awhile -- one that I think is really good. Then I sour on it.

LOL, oh well. Maybe it will turn into something, not sure :).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 am 

I do that alot, but it's usually I write something, record it, hate it, come back to it later after i forgot exactly how it goes and listen and get pleasantly surprised.

I've only had one instance where something I did and it just didn't work at all and totally had to be scraped

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:45 pm 

Going to be recording our demo/promo thing tomorrow for Controlled by Fear which I fear will turn into me raging at everybody. My drummer said our bass player was being kind of sketchy and I don't really want to do the bass parts myself.

Dr Sloughman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 am 

I'd be interested in any opinions on how I can improve my mixing!

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 am 

Well, I'm without a band, but after being fed up for so long without writing anything, I abused technology and came up with this. I did all the drum programming, and bass programming myself. Lots of inspiration from black, prog, thrash metal, rock etc. I'm seeking feedback on anything from songwriting to production to making a one man projects not sound amateur.

Link is also in my sig.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I do that alot, but it's usually I write something, record it, hate it, come back to it later after i forgot exactly how it goes and listen and get pleasantly surprised.

I've only had one instance where something I did and it just didn't work at all and totally had to be scraped

This is so true. Getting your riffs down somewhere is important! You're brain works in funny ways.

Dr Sloughman wrote:

I'd be interested in any opinions on how I can improve my mixing!

Dude, that kick drum... really kicks. I like it. But I'm afraid it might sound a little amateur and could be drowning out a lot of stuff in the mix.

Dr Sloughman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:59 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
Dude, that kick drum... really kicks. I like it. But I'm afraid it might sound a little amateur and could be drowning out a lot of stuff in the mix.

Thanks for checking it out. I agree, It IS amateur. I'm not exactly happy with it... trying to navigate around new software and I haven't got the hang of the compression, yet. It's much different than what I was using before. Downloaded a nice spectral analyzer last night, so things are looking up...

I liked Kingdom of Pity. I dig the guitar tone. Sounds a bit like Enslaved at times.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:25 pm 

Dr Sloughman wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:

Thanks for checking it out. I agree, It IS amateur. I'm not exactly happy with it... trying to navigate around new software and I haven't got the hang of the compression, yet. It's much different than what I was using before. Downloaded a nice spectral analyzer last night, so things are looking up...

I liked Kingdom of Pity. I dig the guitar tone. Sounds a bit like Enslaved at times.

Thanks!

Compression is still totally over my head. At least with this much distortion, I don't really hear it making that much of a difference besides boosting the volume. I've made good use of EQ though. When I recorded (using a mobilePRE which goes straight from my amp to the computer for pure sound), the distortion was a little too crackly and buzzy so I managed to boost the mids and roll off the top to make it sound nice. But it was tough to do that and keep the punch of some of the tremolo picking notes in the verse part. I think compression should have helped with that too but idk how. That and I did all the production and recording with Audacity :| I only used pro tools for bass programming and Hydrogen for drums.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:25 pm 

Currently writing a solo acoustic folk EP, it' over halfway done, just gotta finish it out and record.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

demon505
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:23 pm 

I've been recording drums for my bands new demo. We only get to record at odd times so we release them when we get finished. Here's the first one. https://www.facebook.com/psychicfaithba ... 2405167945

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 pm 

Doing a big local headliner in Boston on Friday...10 minutes away from where the bombing happened.

This'll be interesting for sure.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 pm 

I put my first demo online today. It's my first serious attempt at writing, recording and mixing music. Everything is done by myself. The only thing I wish I could change is to have a real drum kit, but I'll have to settle for programmed drums for now. Hopefully I'll be able to find the right people to put a live band together in the future. Anyway, have a listen here: http://pathsmetal.bandcamp.com/

I guess it could be considered psychedelic black metal...or something.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 am 

Subrick wrote:
Doing a big local headliner in Boston on Friday...10 minutes away from where the bombing happened.

This'll be interesting for sure.

Oh, wow. Get there early for sure. Good luck.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 am 

We're doing an early afternoon photo shoot as well as an actual backline and sound check this time (yay for headlining!), so we're gonna be there at least before 2:00. Doors don't open until 7:00 or 8:00.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 am 

As the process of getting a new guitarist is going slowly, my singer has just messaged me saying he wants me to start looking for a gig for us, regardless of if we have an extra axe-slinger or not, as he can play guitar. So I'm putting my feelers out, but unfortunately don't really know much at all about how to go about it. Guess we'll see what happens...

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:51 am 

mike40k I'm actually really digging that. Even with the programmed drums.

Recorded vocals for 3 longish Filtheater songs for a split, 4 vocal tracks completing the KP's full length upcoming.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:51 pm 

I enjoyed the Paths album, listened through it last night. Good stuff, should be on the archives soon.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 185  Next