Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SniPer0791
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:45 pm 

My Crate GLX212 finally went after 8 years. So I have decided it is time to invest in a new amp. I was originally looking at the "Triple Rec Pro" from Mesa but I really only play in my bedroom...as big as it is I don't really need that much power. I think I just fell in love with the tone of the head.

I was looking at something a little more practical. The Screamer 50W by ENGL. I love the versatility and the distortion and the fact that it has a built in reverb.

I would like some suggestions though as I am pretty sure there are many other brands out there. I would not like to go above $1300, the amp must have at least two channels, one clean and one distortion. Really heavy distortion..or just great in your opinion for metal/rock style music. And lastly I would like it to have at least one built in reverb..if not thats ok.

Thanks for the input.

I was also wondering about a product called Axe-FX. Is this something I could buy and they jsut buy a cabinet or monitors and play through the Axe-FX? If so this seems like it has a load of options...all be it a bit more expensive.

Andyminion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 pm 

I don't have any suggestions for specific amps off the top of my head - hopefully someone else can help with that, but I will say any 50/100 watt valve head will be too loud to be practical for bedroom use. To get the benefit of a full valve amp you really have to crank it loud and the volume you get off these guys is ridiculous for home use. If you have your heart set though you could get a power attenuator (THD hotplate, Marshall powerbrake) to go along with it but IMO your wasting your money buying a valve stack for home use.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:37 pm 

Quote:
I was also wondering about a product called Axe-FX. Is this something I could buy and they jsut buy a cabinet or monitors and play through the Axe-FX? If so this seems like it has a load of options...all be it a bit more expensive.

The Axe-FX is a legendary piece of gear. It's easily worth the cost, since you can replicate so many tones. It sounds as good as a tube amp, yet it has all the advantages of solid state amps (light, reliable, sounds the same at all volumes, no need to replace tubes, etc)

Just remember, it's not an amp head. It doesn't have a power amp component of its own, so you can't plug it into a cab unless you run it through an outboard power amp (such as the ART SLA-2). Or if you have a powered monitor, you could plug it into that. That's what a lot of Axe-FX users do, since monitors are useful for all sorts of instruments while guitar cabs are only good for guitars.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:44 pm 

SniPer0791 wrote:
My Crate GLX212 finally went after 8 years. So I have decided it is time to invest in a new amp. I was originally looking at the "Triple Rec Pro" from Mesa but I really only play in my bedroom...as big as it is I don't really need that much power. I think I just fell in love with the tone of the head.

I was looking at something a little more practical. The Screamer 50W by ENGL. I love the versatility and the distortion and the fact that it has a built in reverb.

I would like some suggestions though as I am pretty sure there are many other brands out there. I would not like to go above $1300, the amp must have at least two channels, one clean and one distortion. Really heavy distortion..or just great in your opinion for metal/rock style music. And lastly I would like it to have at least one built in reverb..if not thats ok.

Thanks for the input.

If you're only playing in your bedroom, and you're not going to a studio or playing live, then why spend $1300? You can get a cheap practice amp for $100 and save lots of money.

Otherwise, you can get a used 5150/6505 and a Mesa 4x12 for ~$1300, just look around.

Quote:

Axe-FX is a digital processor, similar to a Line6 Pod (but obviously FAR better.) In fact, a lot of people are using Axe-FX today (for studio and live purposes.) Some off the top of my head are Martin and Fredrik from Meshuggah, Jeff Loomis from Nevermore, and I believe Tymon and Paul from Cynic used it on the tour last year too.

Keep in mind that if you're going to use it for live purposes, you'll also need a poweramp+cab (as the Axe-FX only acts like a preamp) OR alternatively you can use it as a full rig emulation (preamp/impulse response [poweramp+cab]) and plug-in straight to a PA (I believe this is what the Meshuggah guys and the Cynic guys did on their tour last year so they didn't have to bring in a full backline.)

SniPer0791
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:14 pm 

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to go with the Axe-FX. I read a lot about it. It seems so versatile. I can use it for recording, with my monitors, a guitar cab, and it has so many options/effects and routing possibilities. I know it's mad expensive but I think it is a worthwhile investment. Thanks guys. I will be ordering this when I get my next paycheck.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:13 pm 

I'm told that the Axe-FX's downside is that it takes a bit of work to program. It's not something where you can just press a button and get great tone instantly. Keep that mind.

SniPer0791
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:42 am 

Hey thanks necro. I'm pretty audio savy so I'm sure I will get the hang of the routing and such with the axe-fx. I was wondering though...I was just reading about the Eleven Rack from Digi. DO you have any thoughts on this model? It's a little bit cheaper, which is good for me, but I just don't know how it compares to the axe.

Ahnenerbe_Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:30 am 

Here's a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of the Axe FX

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=644925

and here's a thread comparing it with the Eleven rack

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=631323

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:09 am 

NecroFile wrote:
I'm told that the Axe-FX's downside is that it takes a bit of work to program. It's not something where you can just press a button and get great tone instantly. Keep that mind.

Is that really a downside? I mean, is there any piece of gear on earth that you just turn on and it sounds great?

SniPer0791
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:33 am 

I agree everything needs fine tuning. I guess it is just a matter of "to what extent." I would also believe fine tuning it would be harder than an amp with say just some basic eq's as opposed to the axe which has so many parameters you can tweak.

That's what really sells me for this is the fact that it seems like there are endless possibilities and combination's. Being that I play music other than metal I feel I will get my monies worth.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:54 pm 

SniPer0791 wrote:
Hey thanks necro. I'm pretty audio savy so I'm sure I will get the hang of the routing and such with the axe-fx. I was wondering though...I was just reading about the Eleven Rack from Digi. DO you have any thoughts on this model? It's a little bit cheaper, which is good for me, but I just don't know how it compares to the axe.

I've heard of the Eleven Rack but I don't know what it sounds like. If you want a cheaper modeller, maybe consider the G-Major2. It's supposed to be good, and it's very cheap, like sub $500.

Quote:
Is that really a downside? I mean, is there any piece of gear on earth that you just turn on and it sounds great?

But the Axe-FX is meant to be REALLY hard to dial in. On the Fractal boards you get people posting "I spent five hours trying to dial in a tone and I'm still not happy, I'll spend another two hours tomorrow." If you like tweaking settings you'd probably like it, but sheesh...

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 pm 

Note that I don't actually own any piece of gear I'm talking about here.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.