Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DerekBuhr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:58 pm 

I'm just looking for some more reviews for this guy and I was hoping to get some insight.

I've been looking at half stack head/amps for a while now and after playing through a few I've seem to come to this for what I'm after. It had a very clean and powerful high gain high treble of a more black/thrash quality while the clean channel was a very lush tone that I know if I added a little chorus too would fit my bill perfectly.

It does seem to be a very pricey amp, and I'm wondering if there are cheaper similar items I could potentially look at as well. I love the variety of tones the amp is capable of producing, and that in general is one of the things I loved about the amp when I played through it. I could get the above as well as great punk, hardcore, hard rock tones as well. The reviews I've seen on-line seem to paint it as more than worth the money, but I don't have the experience and knowledge of what's available to know if there are other options that might save me money. I also haven't seen much review wise about the durability either, which is something I'd like to hear from people with experience.

Opinions?

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:01 pm 

The amp kicks ass. I really like it. The new Megadeth was recorded with that head and the new Dave Mustaine signature cab, and that guitar tone is amazing.

Andyminion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:59 am 

It is a brilliant amp but if you are thinking its a bit pricy I'd check out a second hand JCM2000. Although they don't have the flexibility of the JVM, the basic sound is pretty similar. The TSL is very fizzy and modern sounding, the DSL is ballsier, more classic Marshall (and better IMO) sounding.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.