Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:09 am 

It seems the keyboardist thread was locked, so I put up a new thread about this.

I have a hard time playing songs on the keys where both hands play different things, right now I'm trying to learn Lost Woods from Zelda for example, here it is for those who haven't heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LCwjwO ... rofilepage

I just can't get the hands to cooperate. It's very weird, because I can easily sing a song while I'm playing it on guitar or bass, I'm sure I could've been riding my bike and thinking about a fourth thing as well while I did it. But when it comes to playing a song like this, the hands just won't cooperate, even though I can play each individual hand perfectly by itself.

Any advice?? I've heard that women's brain are much better at doing more than one thing if it's of the same nature, for example, they can listen to and analyze 2 conversations at once. Perhaps this is a lot easier for girls??

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:20 pm 

Hand independence is a skill just like anything else. Know the parts for each hand perfectly and practice really slow until you can put them together. There's really no tricks or easier ways.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:41 pm 

Start slow, and work on one measure at a time. I'm just starting to really build some hand independence on keyboards now. It feels great when you finally get it down.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:47 am 

nothing to be added to the other 2 comments really. it's hard as shit I know but the key is practice practice practice! slow, then remotely faster.

and mastering the 2 individual parts before you put them together is just essential

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.