Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rranamka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:18 pm 

How do you build up metal vocals? When I try to do it, i sound like a raspy cow trying to moo and cough up something at the same time.
What the fuck do I do?

lewman123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:57 pm 

Your probably not doing it correctly. Try pushing from the diaphragm instead of the throat. Hope that helps.

Rranamka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:51 pm 

lewman123 wrote:
Your probably not doing it correctly. Try pushing from the diaphragm instead of the throat. Hope that helps.

wheres the diafram again?

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:57 am 

A muscle in your stomach, used for vomiting and shitting amonst other things. Imagine you're wearing a strapless bra that shouldn't fall off while you growl. ;)

meteora666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:25 am 

Stormalv wrote:
Imagine you're wearing a strapless bra that shouldn't fall off while you growl. ;)

Good one :lol:

Also when you're trying vocals always inhale, don't exhale. It works for me.

Fire_and_the_Void
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:58 am 

meteora666 wrote:
Stormalv wrote:
Imagine you're wearing a strapless bra that shouldn't fall off while you growl. ;)

Doesn't inhaling fuck with your throat? Everyone I heard from seemed to be convinced exhaling is the proper way.

meteora666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:44 am 

Fire_and_the_Void wrote:
Doesn't inhaling fuck with your throat? Everyone I heard from seemed to be convinced exhaling is the proper way.

Well sadly I'm no expert, but you can read more about it here: http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Harsh-Death-Metal-Vocals (I'm also saying this to the original poster!). It's a very useful page. It says that indeed the inhaled tech can damage your vocal chords if you're not careful, and is more or less a way of cheating. Works for me however :D

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:44 am 

Fire_and_the_Void wrote:
meteora666 wrote:
Stormalv wrote:

Plus they just plain don't sound very good. They simply sound odd at best, no real aggression or power in the voice.

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:46 pm 

I think it sounds cool, but only with a dynamic microphone, in other words those you use at practice and gigs. I don't know why it sounds different, I bet it's because of how they paint the frequencies so to say.

It does hurt your throat... I will say it's okay to do it now and then, but not too often, make sure to rest the voice after you've inhale growled. :)

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:10 pm 

meteora666 wrote:
Also when you're trying vocals always inhale, don't exhale. It works for me..

This is great advice if your goal is to sound like a pussy.

lewman123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:17 pm 

mattp wrote:
meteora666 wrote:

Yeah only pussys in emo bands use the inhale technique.

Oxidane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:01 pm 

meteora666 wrote:
Stormalv wrote:

An inhale doesn't sound nothing like an exhale. Exhales are used in metal and inhales are used in emo/hardcore.

Parasiticus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:36 am 

When I do it I just push out as much air as I can while saying a lyric, but I vibrate/semi-collapse my trachea about an inch above the clavicle. You should be able to put your finger there and feel the vibration.

It's amazing how much your voice changes over time. When I was doing tech death in my late teens I had this awesome Obituary type scream and a great Kreator-type high voice, and now in my 30s I pretty much sound like Mikael Akerfeldt and really have to reach for the high stuff. It's just like the ability to really scream has disappeared.
Download Parasiticus_The Transient Nature of What We Build 192kpbs.mp3

UnderAFrozenMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 am 

First off inhaling does mess up your throat.Many vocalists who inhale will develop swollen lymph nodes, this can be done if you put to much pressure on the nodes(like you do when screaming but especially inhaled)Which if you cant guess is bad.Your voice isnt built to work that way.We talk outward and we should scream, growl, sing, and all that outward as well.If that happens deffinetly rest your voice and if it lasts for more than a month go to the doctor.

OK and to help understand how to proberly growl start humming.You should feel vibration on your lips.If you do good your using your diaphram, if not just experiment and try to push with your stomach.Experimentation is key.
When you growl/scream you should push like you do as you hum.One way to do this is to sing(clean) any note or pitch.Then gradualy make it raspier and more "cookiemonster" esque.In other words more harsh.
Sorry if that makes no sence its hard to explain...it would be like trying to explain to you how to talk if you didnt know how.

Goodluck if you need any help let me know and I will do my best.

masterofordure
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:11 am 

I wanna start singing like sean mcgrath. How can i do it?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:36 am 

Don't try to sing like someone in particular. You should develope your own style. Everyone has a different throat, a different respiratory system, so trying to sound like a specific other person, who has a different physical makeup to you, is sort of like trying to jam a square block into a circlular hole.

My advice for starters is thus; make sure you're using your diaphragm to push the air out, rather than your upper chest area. A good way to tell is noting your shoulders. If they're moving up and down, then you're doing it wrong. All the movement should be around your gut.

First things first, stand up straight, take a deep breath down, open your throat and just roar. That's your unrefined growl, it's yours and yours alone, it's what you'll work with. It'll sound shit and you'll run out of breath really quickly, but don't worry, that will improve over time.

After you've gotten the breathing down, you can begin trying to sound out specific words and phrases by altering the shape of your mouth. Try to keep your throat as open as possible, don't forget your diaphragm control, and begin by reciting the alphabet. Soon enough you'll be able to recite proper lyrics. I began practicing with Chopped in Half by Obituary and Abomination Reborn by Suffocation, but you could try anything, really, so long as you start with something slower and lighter on the lyrics.

UnderAFrozenMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:13 pm 

Chopped In Half is an amazing song to growl to.

Malacoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:55 pm 

Not only will inhales fuck up your throat, but they'll also fuck up your vocal cords (we're not supposed to talk/growl inward) as well as your lung capacity. It really just takes time to get good at exhaled growls.

Shorgorath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:00 pm 

mattp wrote:
meteora666 wrote:

truth.

exhaled is definitely the way to go. i've always heard it's a little different for everyone. try different techniques you find online and try to see if they work for you. start out slow, dont expect yourself to last an entire song right away. practice breathing while singing. also, learning how to sing properly always helps. REMEMBER! IF IT HURTS, STOP! if it hurts, you're doing it wrong and will hurt yourself. i mean it's cool if you dont wanna puss out but i think it'll goofy listening to some little white kid that sounds like an old black blues singer

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:17 pm 

Exhales ftw! Plus it seems like a lot of people who inhale are quieter than people who exhale.

demisetheflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:11 pm 

On the vox topic, anyone know how to do the gurgly styled vocals like Devourment? I can't find how to do it on my own.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.