Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xspider999x
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:13 pm 

Hey, I am in a pseudo-melodic death/thrash metal band. The reason I write pseudo, is because my guitarist is horrible at writing riffs. All he knows is neo-classical shred and he has been playing that style for a long time. Another problem is he is too set on music theory and won't do anything out of key whatsoever and he won't take any influences. Like if I said, "Hey guys, we are melodic death metal, why don't we write a song in the vein of In Flames," he would just look at me and laugh.

So, how do I show him the more brutal side of metal and teach him how to write heavy riff. And how can I convince him that having influences isn't bad?

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:51 pm 

xspider999x wrote:
And how can I convince him that having influences isn't bad?

He might think "influences = ripping off". I suppose you have to show him that's not always the case.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:54 pm 

xspider999x wrote:
Hey, I am in a pseudo-melodic death/thrash metal band. The reason I write pseudo, is because my guitarist is horrible at writing riffs. All he knows is neo-classical shred and he has been playing that style for a long time. Another problem is he is too set on music theory and won't do anything out of key whatsoever and he won't take any influences. Like if I said, "Hey guys, we are melodic death metal, why don't we write a song in the vein of In Flames," he would just look at me and laugh.

So, how do I show him the more brutal side of metal...

Have him listen to Necrophagist.

Quote:
...and teach him how to write heavy riff. And how can I convince him that having influences isn't bad?

...maybe you should play some Symphony X for him.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:27 pm 

There's only so much you can do when someone refuses to play their instrument properly.

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00 pm 

It might be a good idea to kick him out of the band if this continues, even if he's an amazing guitarist it doesn't seem worth it. Besides, if ALL he knows is neo-classical shred, was he really the best guy for the band anyway?

As far as the music theory part goes, if you're playing melodeath/thrash, is it safe to assume he joined the band because he likes these genres? I'm sure you can find bands he enjoys who use out of scale notes or even total chromaticism in their music. Perhaps if he knew he wouldn't rigidly stick to the "correct" notes in a scale? Idk, worth a shot.

And I'm sure he himself must be influenced by SOMETHING, maybe he won't take that suggestion of yours because he doesn't want to sound like another band? The way you've worded it sounds like you want to sound like In Flames, where he might just want to play Melodeath without drawing comparisons.

xspider999x
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:26 pm 

Scrabsy wrote:
It might be a good idea to kick him out of the band if this continues, even if he's an amazing guitarist it doesn't seem worth it. Besides, if ALL he knows is neo-classical shred, was he really the best guy for the band anyway?

As far as the music theory part goes, if you're playing melodeath/thrash, is it safe to assume he joined the band because he likes these genres? I'm sure you can find bands he enjoys who use out of scale notes or even total chromaticism in their music. Perhaps if he knew he wouldn't rigidly stick to the "correct" notes in a scale? Idk, worth a shot.

And I'm sure he himself must be influenced by SOMETHING, maybe he won't take that suggestion of yours because he doesn't want to sound like another band? The way you've worded it sounds like you want to sound like In Flames, where he might just want to play Melodeath without drawing comparisons.

Well, the sad thing is, I come from an area where there are little to no decent musicians so, if we are lucky enough to actually find another guitarist, I am kicking that guy to the curb, but that is unlikely to happen.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:02 pm 

xspider999x wrote:
Scrabsy wrote:

Well, the sad thing is, I come from an area where there are little to no decent musicians so, if we are lucky enough to actually find another guitarist, I am kicking that guy to the curb, but that is unlikely to happen.

The lucky thing is, if you find ANY other musician, chances are they'll be a guitarist. Guitarists are everywhere, you just have to look for them.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:08 am 

Kick him out. It is extremely likely you will be able to get a new one. Having musicians who don't like the music which the band is playing will prove detrimental in the long run. Or the vocalist can pull double duty and play guitar as well, you'll figure something else. But don't have members who aren't interested in the band's direction.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 am 

Little known fact: You don't NEED two guitarists.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read thoroughly and assumed OP was a guitarist as well even though it is never stated.

Correction: You don't NEED guitarists.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.