Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oxidane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm 

wats the best way to connect them to a PC?

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 pm 

through some sort of usb interface I'd imagine

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:35 pm 

A recording interface such as:
Creative E-MU
Digidesign MBOX
Presonus Firebox/Audiobox etc
M-Audio Fast Track

Everyone has their own needs/preference, there are a lot of options, and they start around $99

edit: posted a topic about recording interfaces! http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=1291497

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:20 pm 

One tip, make sure you go to the shop and talk to the guys, a lot of the interfaces are shit and it's not until you talk to someone who's in the know till you know :P

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:43 pm 

nex666 wrote:
One tip, make sure you go to the shop and talk to the guys, a lot of the interfaces are shit and it's not until you talk to someone who's in the know till you know :P

It is very unlikely that anyone in a shop will know a good recording interface from their asshole.

On a budget? The Line 6 interfaces are probably the best deal for a cheaper interface, as they also include the Pod farm.

Got a bit more cash? M-Audio Profire 610 is a good deal. The M-Audio Profire 2626 is unbeatable in the under $1000 price range.

Got about $1K to spend? RME Fireface. The 400 and 800 both go for around $1000 used, for some reason, despite costing $500 apart.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:24 pm 

nex666 wrote:

"someone who's in the know" is generally not a music store employee. Guitar Center has been pushing the Line 6 amps with awful preset tones and a line out for a while, the tones were designed to sound like high end Mesa and Marshall amps, and it is designed with POD technology so you get a professional tone when you plug it into your computer.

Figure out what features/specs you need. Look at sites that review music gear, look at user reviews on sites that sell them, ask on music forums, and make an educated decision. Music store employees, especially chain stores, are the last people you should ask.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:03 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
nex666 wrote:

"someone who's in the know" is generally not a music store employee. Guitar Center has been pushing the Line 6 amps with awful preset tones and a line out for a while

Not to mention the absolute saturation of Marshall's MG series. When I was 16 I went to the local music store and asked for the best amp I could get for $1000 dollars. They sold me a Marshall MG250DFX. I was new to guitars, so I thought I was getting a good amp.

I'd talk to someone who doesn't have the preoccupation of making money off you.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:42 am 

Yeah because I'd go to a bass shop to buy a drum kit.

I went to a "Digital Shop".
Which sells monitors, mixers, recording equipment, condenser mic's, keyboards, software etc.

I'm just saying, better to buy one that you know someone else has had a good experience with or knows about.

The guy sold me one that was cheaper but better for what I needed it for, a lot easier to use and it's been perfect.

I guess people in shops in New Zealand aren't cunts like everywhere else then.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:02 am 

nex666 wrote:
Yeah because I'd go to a bass shop to buy a drum kit.

I went to a "Digital Shop".
Which sells monitors, mixers, recording equipment, condenser mic's, keyboards, software etc.

I'm just saying, better to buy one that you know someone else has had a good experience with or knows about.

The guy sold me one that was cheaper but better for what I needed it for, a lot easier to use and it's been perfect.

I guess people in shops in New Zealand aren't cunts like everywhere else then.

Maybe they don't work on commission. A lot of music stores carry a full range of audio gear, and in general, you can learn more by doing research yourself than by talking to someone who is trying to sell you a product.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:32 am 

As far as I know there are also cables, that can connect XLR to USB. Does anyone know if there's a loss of sound quality compared to a piece of hardware like the ones mentioned above?

Speak for yourself.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:51 am 

Vrede wrote:
As far as I know there are also cables, that can connect XLR to USB. Does anyone know if there's a loss of sound quality compared to a piece of hardware like the ones mentioned above?

Yes.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.