Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:45 pm 

Hey guys, quick question. I recently got REAPER recording software after a long, uneventful struggle with Cool Edit Pro 2, and it's WAY better. It got me to thinking: What's better than REAPER? I'd like to know what recording software is really good, an you help me out? Thanks!

Geoff.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 pm 

Reaper is pretty pro-quality. Protools, Cubase, and Logic are the three big names, but most users of those programs are asked why they're better, they don't have any real reason.

Night_Desecrate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:03 pm 

I just got Reaper not too long ago and it's great. Theres so much you can do with it. I don't think you should bother looking for anything else.

Count_Grimith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:59 pm 

Haven't really tried reaper out so i wouldn't know too much, ive been using Logic for most of my recordings, just not ProTools cause i don't have all the plug-ins, Logic is way better for that.

Andyminion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:20 am 

I haven't tried this software but I hear good things about it. As for the above comment about there usually being no good explanation for why the big 3 software packages are better - I can understand there being little benefit at home but in a professional situation unless you are well known/headhunted as a producer you really need to use one of the big 3. The reasons being the ability to move sessions from one studio to the next while retaining plug-ins/settings via iLok, the ability to work with other engineers who understand the software, compatability/integration with controllers/desks and also sound quality. I'm sure a lot of freeware sounds really good but at professional level people really look to coax every drop of tone from their setups, especially when recording more and more "in the box". IMO Pro Tools with standard clock/converters sounds awful but Logic and to a lesser extent Cubase sound pretty good. To highlight some of the above, I used to use a system based on an O2R desk with hard disk recorder, then went on to Nuendo and finally Pro Tools. When I got Pro Tools a lot more people started calling and I started to get a whole lot more work. Just my 2 cents. But for recording at home, unless you want to expand on your setup/work in big studios etc there is no real reason to spend a fortune on software.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.