Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 am 

How hard is it to learn the drums compared to learning how to play other instruments such as the guitar or piano?

It's not as available as having a guitar. It takes up a lot of space and is noisy as hell, which I why I never had the opportunity to learn.

I've been wanting to take up drumming for the longest time and the only time I was able to try it out in recent memory was when I went jamming with several friends from work.

They let me try out the basic beat from AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" and it really felt easy and natural. They actually said that I did well. That's pretty encouraging since I've never tried it out. The closest to drumming I've ever done is "air drumming" - LOL =p

So how technically demanding is it... how hard is it to learn... and how hard is it do be the drummer in a band? If I would be in band, that's exactly where I'd want to be: Behind the drums.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 am 

lastdodobird wrote:
How hard is it to learn the drums compared to learning how to play other instruments such as the guitar or piano?

It's not as available as having a guitar. It takes up a lot of space and is noisy as hell, which I why I never had the opportunity to learn.

I've been wanting to take up drumming for the longest time and the only time I was able to try it out in recent memory was when I went jamming with several friends from work.

They let me try out the basic beat from AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" and it really felt easy and natural. They actually said that I did well. That's pretty encouraging since I've never tried it out. The closest to drumming I've ever done is "air drumming" - LOL =p

So how technically demanding is it... how hard is it to learn... and how hard is it do be the drummer in a band? If I would be in band, that's exactly where I'd want to be: Behind the drums.

I'm not sure how technically demanding drumming is but I can definitely tell you, if you are the drummer of a band, you are the man. You are the reason why the songs sound good. You have shitloads of responsibilities and obligations to fill, it's not easy being a drummer. Every move you make as a drummer has to be perfect. If it's not, you're fuckt, and so is your song. It takes tons of practice just because messing up on stage as a drummer is something that CANNOT happen. So my advice is just practice the hell out of them. So what if it's loud? Wear ear muffs. So what if it's expensive? Save some money. So what if it's technical? Practice. So what if it takes up some room? Move some stuff. Trust me there are always billions of reasons not to do something. Just go for it, you'll have one hell of a time, brother.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:08 am 

This folk speaks the truth :).

KingHenry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:30 am 

I'm learning now, and it's fucking hard - specifically the bass drum. Co- ordinating that thing with your arms is extremley difficult, but alot of fun.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:46 am 

I haven't found it terribly hard (though bear in mind that I'm by no means a skilled drummer yet). Depends on what style of music you want to learn, for one thing. I'd say the best thing about drums and learning to play them is that unlike, say, guitar or piano, it's one hell of a lot of fun to play straight of the bat. Also gives a good workout if you hit the drums hard.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Russian_BladderStorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:27 pm 

If you enjoy drumming, you should drum.

invincible_fang01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:11 pm 

Well i really think it has to do with the person. How much rhythm sense they have, how weak heir wrists are, dedication etc.

For me it took a week to learn a basic beat, but when I did I couldn't stop playing it on my shitty drumset.

Also (and this has probably been mentioned before) but an electric drumset will solve your noise problems :metal:

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:06 pm 

If you can air drum or play "Rock Band", chances are you can learn to play drums fairly easily. If you've got good time, then that's half the battle. The other half is good dynamics.

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:46 pm 

Thanks!

What's the most basic/bare setup I can start working with?

I just realized that we'll be moving within the year to a much bigger place, so the space issue might not be a problem anymore.

It might be too noisy for my folks and the neighbors though, but maybe I can sound-treat the room where I place the drums in.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:38 pm 

All you "need" to learn drums is a practice pad. A snare drum is handy, since it lets you develop your dynamic technique as well as your timing.

After that, a kick drum practice pad and a double pedal would be good to have. An electronic kit would be another step up.

If you've got a lot of room, money, and neighbors that don't care about noise, an acoustic kit is awesome.

blackpage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:05 pm 

To kind of add to what Dolf9271986 was saying: Drums are not really harder than guitar or bass BUT, guitarists are a dime a dozen! If you can achieve a certain level of mastery on the kit, you'll ALWAYS be in demand as a musician, cause good drummers are so hard to find.

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:58 am 

Do you guys think I need to take lessons or would it work if I just "feel my way through it"?

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:20 am 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
It takes tons of practice just because messing up on stage as a drummer is something that CANNOT happen.

Tell that to Chris Witchhunter. He is the reason why Sodom's first record has so much character. Imagine Volcanic Slut with flawless drumming; it would lack substance.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:06 am 

lastdodobird wrote:
Do you guys think I need to take lessons or would it work if I just "feel my way through it"?

Take a couple of lessons, enough to get yourself used to the kit. You can pretty much teach yourself once you have grip, drum set up, tuning, basic rudiments, etc down.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:21 am 

I'd say it's much, much more difficult to get up to a basically competent level in drumming than it is in guitar or bass.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:21 am 

SepticTomb wrote:
I'd say it's much, much more difficult to get up to a basically competent level in drumming than it is in guitar or bass.

Depends on what you consider basically competent on both.

Boomsticks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:47 pm 

rexxz wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

Depends on what you consider basically competent on both.

Well, it's easier to learn the basics of a drum kit than it is to learn the basics of a guitar. And, although this may not be a fair statement, there are a lot more 'fantastic' guitarists out there then there are 'fantastic' drummers. I suppose the fact that it's much easier to get your hands on a guitar than a drum kit plays a major part in that though. Personally I love to drum, even though im pretty average. I'm self taught by the way. It's really not that hard top get up to an average level, you just have to have the patience I guess, as with any instrument.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.