Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:25 pm 

I've been watching this guy's various guitar solos from the Manowar Earthshaker festival and I don't know whether to drop my jaw at how fast he plays or to think 'Wow, what a load of meaningless shite'.

He is definitely one of the fastest players I've seen, but it has absolutely no feeling whatsoever - kind of like Janick Gers sped up. This said, though, I'm quite addicted to just watching his fingers moving like that. :lol:

What opinion does anyone else have on him?
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:48 pm 

No comment on the dude himself, but I believe Janick Gers is horrible live. His solos on Death On The Road are fucking shit.

Xtremo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:02 pm 

I don't know whether to drop my jaw at how fast he plays or to think 'Wow, what a load of meaningless shite'.

[/quote]

I'd say second option...

He's just fast, and like you said... tasteless melody and no feeling whatsoever.

were they hot?

abyssalservant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:59 am 

He's pretty blindingly fast, but he tends to reuse a lot of stock ideas, riffs and licks both.
I take lessons from him. It's really helped my technique, though of course when I started ANYTHING would've helped my technique :P Strange man. Fun times though.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:40 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
No comment on the dude himself, but I believe Janick Gers is horrible live. His solos on Death On The Road are fucking shit.

Janick is a hit-and-miss guitar player. When he hits, it's great. When he misses, it sounds awful.

abyssalservant wrote:
He's pretty blindingly fast, but he tends to reuse a lot of stock ideas, riffs and licks both.
I take lessons from him. It's really helped my technique, though of course when I started ANYTHING would've helped my technique :P Strange man. Fun times though.

Lessons, you say? That's pretty cool, but could you even catch up with him? :P

"So, repeat after me... DRRRRRRRRRRWAHWAHWAHWAHDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNANANANNANANANANANANANANANANDRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

:lol:
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:50 am 

What? Janick is great live. Maybe that was a bad day, but whenever I've seen him he's been great.

Dave Shankle is a bit iffy on that dvd. It's hard to tell as all the mix on the special guests is a bit dodgy at times. But he sounds pretty good on Triumph of Steel. I think the magic circle thing was more of a case of "Shit, I'm on stage again... must. Play. Lots. Of. Notes!" Either way Ross the Boss was always better. Easy.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:42 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
What? Janick is great live. Maybe that was a bad day, but whenever I've seen him he's been great.

He is good overall, but he's had his bad moments.

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Either way Ross the Boss was always better. Easy.

Goes without saying. :metal:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.