Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lothale
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 am 

Hello guys, I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent guitar for $700 US or so, that I will be able to play Numetal/pop punk type stuff on (read Disturbed, Trivium and Rise Against) on. I can go up on the price if there is a really really good one above that, but I would prefer not to.

Thanks in advance
Matt Parsons (a different one)

SupremeAbstract
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:27 am 

Schecter Blackjack
www.rustyaxerecords.com

UnbridledSodomy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:35 pm 

squier strat. you're also gonna need some stickers of your favorite bands to slap on that bad boy.

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:04 pm 

Really? I don't think a genre enforces you to buy a certain kind of guitar - it's all about the durability and feel of the guitar to the player, for example I personally do not like playing Gibsons because of their fat necks and heavy weight but enjoy Ibanez and Jackson because of sleek look, thin necks, and lighter weight. Also, I don't think you need to be spending as much on $700 if all you're looking to play is pop-punk/numetal (very strange combination?). The higher price in an instrument implies more features on it, and durability - which is something I don't really think you're aiming at. I think you would be fine sticking with something more along $250-$400.

Lothale
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:18 pm 

Thanks for the responses guys, and lol, yeah I know its a strange combo. I have been listening to numetal for a few years, but feel like I am outgrowing? getting tired? of it, but am really digging bands like Rise Against now lol. I dunno whats going on, but it is interesting to let the ipod go on random.

I probably should have mentioned earlier, but this is going to be the guitar that I learn on. Now, I know that I can go out and buy a $70 guitar, but I don't want to spend the money later to upgrade. I am leaving the country soon for a few years, and know next to nothing about the quality of German guitars. I would hate to buy one online while out of country and risk international shipping... lol I am iffy on cross country.

Unbridled, you said to grab a squier strat, but from reviews/forums that I have been reading they have become pretty hit or miss lately. From what I understand, in order to make sure that I get a reliable squier first try I would have to find a used one, made in..Japan I think it was. Is that still holding true, or was I reading old posts, I forgot to look at the dates on them.

Supreme the Schecter looks awesome!! I am definetly considering that one.

On the guitar that I do end up getting do you guys have any suggestions on what pickups/brand of strings/other necessary accessories I should get for starting to learn to play. Right now I am interested more in rhythem and technical sides of playing than in the lead guitar/shredding. I figure that will come after learning the basics lol. I already plan on getting a 30w or so amp and a pedal and a metronome (sp?). As far as strings I plan on using pretty light stuff, a 10set to begin I think and adjust from there depending on the sound. I have heard the Ernie Ball super slinkies are pretty good, but any opinions on those aer welcome.
Thanks in advance guys

Matt Parsons --a different one.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:45 pm 

Hey other Matt Parsons! :P

Schecter is a very good choice for what you want to play. I would recommend one of their guitars.

For amps, I recommend the Roland Microcube to start with.

Strings is personal preference, but I recommend getting a set of 10-52 strings if you plan on down tuning much.

Lothale
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:50 pm 

Hey Matt Parsons, fter I saw your posts on another thread I checked out your link to your myspace....wanna hear something crazy? I am in Augusta lol. I will see you on the 28th when you come to play. Let me know where you are going to be at :)

The OTHER Matt Parsons

Alocer7138r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:37 pm 

i would get a better amp then a micro cube, i have one and its not that great i would go for 300 dollar combo amp with high gain presets.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.