Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:00 pm 

My band got a great offer to perform at one of the top nightclubs down here, and since all the bands who regularly perform there are all busy they want us to do a 3 HOUR SET!

The downside is we were instructed to perform mostly covers. So I was hoping, if this works out I would like to have a good setlist so any suggestions would be nice.

Here's the setlist we're thinking of:
1. Gung-Ho
2. Among The Living
3. Whiplash
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls
5. Holy wars/The Punishment Due
6. Five Magics
7. Infinite Dreams
8. Angel
9. Be Quick Or be Dead
10. Nightcrawler
11. One
12. Armed And Dangerous
13. Children Of the sea
14. Neon Knights
15. Sabbath bloody Sabbath
16. Subconscious(Original)
17. Ashes To Dust(Original)
18. Sea Of Lies
19. Holy Diver
20. Bass Solo
21. Don't Talk To Strangers
22. Sacred Heart
23. Mirror Mirror
24. Nightfall
25. Fear Of The dark
26. The Duellists
27. Victim Of Changes
28. Painkiller
29. Heaven And Hell

We wanted to have a more well known setlist here. But we want to get a good one because the manager is looking at this other band as well and seriously considering them so...

Any help?

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:20 pm 

I'm assuming you're a thrash band? I'd recommend some Dark Angel covers.

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:24 pm 

We've been sort of struggling with genre but we've been leaning toward thrash lately. Any specific Dark Angel songs? I always liked The Death Of Innocence, Cauterization, Merciless death, and Vendetta, but I can't think of were to place them.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:16 pm 

Most anything is negotiable, try to push for at least some original material. If not, at least sneak a song or two in. Good luck.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:49 pm 

I think you should play some Venom and Bathory, maybe throw some Celtic Frost in there too for good measure.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:51 pm 

Whackooyzero wrote:
We've been sort of struggling with genre but we've been leaning toward thrash lately. Any specific Dark Angel songs? I always liked The Death Of Innocence, Cauterization, Merciless death, and Vendetta, but I can't think of were to place them.

Just play Darkness Descends in its entirety. Or, if you must make me choose tracks: Darkness Descends and Hunger of the Undead.

I'd also throw in a few Death tracks, namely:

Zombie Ritual
Pull the Plug
Lack of Comprehension
Jealousy
1,000 Eyes
Story to Tell

I'd also put in some Pestilence. How about the song Out of the Body (or anything from Consuming Impulse, really)?

In any case, good luck with the gig (should you get it) and let us know how it went.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:40 am 

I'm not familiar with all the material in your set list, but are you sure it's going to last you three hours? Your set can be diminished in length quite easily depending on the speed which it is played at.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:49 pm 

Whackooyzero wrote:
My band got a great offer to perform at one of the top nightclubs down here, and since all the bands who regularly perform there are all busy they want us to do a 3 HOUR SET!

The downside is we were instructed to perform mostly covers. So I was hoping, if this works out I would like to have a good setlist so any suggestions would be nice.

Here's the setlist we're thinking of:
1. Gung-Ho
2. Among The Living
3. Whiplash
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls
5. Holy wars/The Punishment Due
6. Five Magics
7. Infinite Dreams
8. Angel
9. Be Quick Or be Dead
10. Nightcrawler
11. One
12. Armed And Dangerous
13. Children Of the sea
14. Neon Knights
15. Sabbath bloody Sabbath
16. Subconscious(Original)
17. Ashes To Dust(Original)
18. Sea Of Lies
19. Holy Diver
20. Bass Solo
21. Don't Talk To Strangers
22. Sacred Heart
23. Mirror Mirror
24. Nightfall
25. Fear Of The dark
26. The Duellists
27. Victim Of Changes
28. Painkiller
29. Heaven And Hell

We wanted to have a more well known setlist here. But we want to get a good one because the manager is looking at this other band as well and seriously considering them so...

Any help?

Holy shit- LOVE THE BLIND GUARDIAN. I would kill to see more bands cover them nowadays.

Infinite Dreams? fave Maiden song ever. You asshole- you are so lucky :P

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:27 pm 

I knew the 3 hour set was too good to be true so they hired the other band I mentioned and were told to cut our length down to 15 songs. Which is more reasonable I suppose.

So we're gonna play a couple originals(Subconscious, Ashes Fall, Venom Incision and Storm Of Blood), Have Infinite Dreams, The Duellists, beyond The Realms of death, Darkness Descends, Gung Ho, Whiplash, Crystal Mountain, Scavenger Of Human Sorrow, and among the living. But we need 2 more songs.

big_bud_theory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:21 pm 

if you don't have to compete for the set then you should throw in some shit that wasn't in rolling stone.

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:13 pm 

Metal Church !

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:53 pm 

Throw in some Motorhead. I think thats the only thing missing.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:35 pm 

I super duper second the Zombie Ritual suggestion with an added hell yes for emphasis because that song is a blast to play and is great in a live setting.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:20 pm 

holy shit, 3 hour set?

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:25 am 

No not anymore, me and the other band got it.

Anyways I just finished the gig.

It turned out fairly well. But I was just at the gym before the performance and when I got to the guitar my hands felt very stiff.
We got onstage and I kinda told my co-guitarist(Trebor Hoffman) to handle the solos for the night.

We began with a brief bass intro by our amazing bassist Paul Stewart. We then led into "Darkness Descends" which worked out pretty awesome and got the crowd(so to speak) pumped up. We then moved into the Ace Of Spades, Storm Of Blood(one of our originals) and Gung-Ho.

After that things got a bit sketchy, my main guitar went out of tune fairly badly and so I picked up my ESP M backup. However it was tuned down to drop db and we were supposed to go into Infinite Dreams, but we had a brief guitar solo by Trebor while I tuned up.

Then we launched into Infinite dreams which we finally got right(in rehearsal our vocalist never quite got the vocals right until tonight).

If I remember correctly we went straight into The Duellists after that, which people just didn't get! I guess since it's not a well-known Maiden song it didn't turn out as well.

The next couple of songs turned out pretty good(3 originals Subconscious, Ashes Fall and Venom Incision) then we did Zombie ritual and Spirit Crusher.

we only had 2 more songs allowed in the set.

We had a drum interlude and we were about to go into One Shot at Glory and Trebor told me I had to do the solo in that song because he's not the greatest improviser. The solo turned out fairly good although it could have been cleaner.

We go a pretty good reaction for that one and we then ended with A Touch Of Evil. Trebor NAILED THE SOLO! The vocals were amazing and it was an intense experience. We then left.

The worst part was, when the OTHER band came onstage, they played a long set of Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot, Static-X, BFMV, A7X, Mudvayne and System Of A Down. They even threw in a couple of Maroon 5 tunes(what the heck? What a painful experience to have to sit through that)

And while we left, we heard that band being offered a deal to perform their 5 nights a week! And people were giving them high fives telling them how talented they were.

They actually played quite sloppily.

sacredflash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:51 am 

awesome to hear, shitty to hear about the other band.

Figures, the people who play the mainstream, MTV bullshit are the ones who get the offer when the people who play the GOOD music get nothing. Sorry to hear about that.

But sounds like you guys had an awesome time on stage! I'm jealous, I'm newbie bassist, I wanna play in a band, haha.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.