Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShinobivsDragonNinja
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:13 pm 

I'm a 15 year old and I want to start a local band and play for fun. Some issues I have is finding members (I need a guitarist and bassist), and staying on a specific genre. I wanted to do death metal first, then black metal and now I wanna do goregrind. What are some suggestions for both of these issues I have?

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:24 am 

What instrument do you play? Do you already have some members other than yourself? Have you written songs, or do you play covers?

Your issues are related. How will you convince someone to join your band if you can't settle on a style? It's alright to experiment at that point, because for the first couple of years you'll still be figuring out how the whole band thing works, and learning to play together with others, and figuring out a style that suits you best. This applies even if you're excellent at your own instrument. That said, you need to have some reference point, because it's hard to attract musicians to join a band that keeps changing its style indiscriminately. You'll be a joke, honestly.

It's probably best not to try to recruit members until you have at least a couple of songs written (or, if you want to play covers, you have rehearsed them) in a particular style. If one song is black metal and another is death metal, that's completely fine, but if the third is grindcore, and the fourth is hardcore punk next week, you'll need some extraordinary persuasion.

WeirdoYYY
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:18 pm 

Assuming if you need guitarists, you probably play drums? If not, your first priority is getting writing members.

A big problem lots of youngins get when trying to start something is that they pigeon hole themselves into distinct styles that realistically are still pretty niche in the broader society. Best case, you'll find someone who is familiar with those styles but will not be up to that caliber of playing so it's best to not force anything to happen and just let it go naturally. As the above says, you'll be spending at least a year in my opinion just getting to the point of being a tight band provided that you play shows and practice regularly. Metal bands are extremely hard to form at this age because of these problems so you'll just have to take what you got and move forward.

The other alternative, and the one I suggest if you want to be specific, is to simply learn the other instruments yourself. Keep it rudimentary, learn some covers, and just start writing and recording yourself. I personally like recording music more now than I do playing live but that's because I've played live a lot. You can still get a lot of good reception by putting out a decent album every now and then. Who knows, if it all comes out good you can recruit musicians to turn it into a live thing someday?

Flood the tunnels to flush out the rats

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:09 pm 

For anything grind- in the U.S I'd say got o your local record stores, instrument shops, and youth centers and put a paper up saying you're a drummer (I'm just assuming) and put an email or phone number. I remember grind- genres being genres you use to hear a lot of locals forming in the Chicago-land area that I'm from. Black metal it something that it feels like you are either doing solo or doing it online with people unless you go out of your way to find the right people in your area. Death metal I really couldn't say, I know a lot of smaller death metal bands that formed in Chicago, but I don't hear very much outside of the city (and milwauke is primarily hardcore and thrash.)

So my recommendation for your best bet would be to pursue goregrind, but at the same time, don't force yourself either if it isn't feeling right, you can always check the boards at those places I was talking about and see if there are any local metal bands looking for a drummer to if you want the band feeling.

Reply to topic