Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
werewolfgraveyard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:47 pm 

I'm referring to this specific choir effect, that I personally would associate with a setting on an old shitty mass-produced keyboard, that is meant to evoke a specific kind of grandeur or spookiness. Like if it sounds like an effect you'd hear in a royalty free halloween music CD from the 90s in some retail store's bargain bin I am specifically asking for that. I am referring to it as shitty and fake and emphasizing the dated tone endearingly, and also so if anyone actually knows something that may reproduce the effect that they don't neglect mentioning it due to how those qualities could be undesirable.

Examples:
A bit more real sounding but I presume it's still fake.
Spoiler: show

Obviously fake, and that's fun.

Choir effect with intervals obviously played on a keyboard

I cannot find anything on Google, and if there is nothing that encompasses what I am looking for I have a follow-up question, can that sound be easily replicable through sampling? If I took a snippet of what I am looking for could I theoretically create the effect for myself? What would I need to know to do that? For instance, would I have to know what note is being played in the particular instance being sampled in order to sample it properly? Perhaps those questions are best left googled, but maybe someone may have some insight that Google could not provide from a mere search inquiry.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:20 pm 

If there’s one developer of (free to boot!) VSTs that sounds cheesy and dated, that’s DSK for sure. Everything from choirs to erhus, you’ll find synthesized sounds that resemble their original counterpart only in the vaguest sense.

Beware that, very much in 2000s fashion, the presets usually come drowned in reverb and resonance. Take those two down, and you should find the type of sound you’re looking for.

Reply to topic