Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fpb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:45 am 

Hi! 16 Years old, i'm musician that just released debut album on Spotify, yt, Apple music etc. I've tried to have feedback on band appeals from this album by staff, but. One say that's on borderline, someone else that it's completely nu metal, i don't want to make arguments, and i don't know what to do. Different opinions. But do i have metal riffs? What to do if someone see me as "nu metal" musician on MA? I love metal, discovering new good metal bands save my life.
Here's the link to spotify's album, maybe you'll tell me is it metal? Metalcore? Nu metal? If not metal, what's lacking here? I don't know what to do:
https://open.spotify.com/album/21QAKu1z ... ewXk8P3xhr

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:23 pm 

You’ll write your best music when you stop worrying about how it’s going to be catalogued, so don’t fret on that. If the mods said it’s not metal enough to get into the archives, no amount of anyone else telling otherwise will change that anyway.
If you’re not entirely sure on what makes metal sound as such, then you should probably spend more time listening and absorbing the music (maybe even learning some riffs from bands properly considered metal) until you’ve build enough of a musical vocabulary that you can tell the styles apart from each other without doubting yourself.

fpb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:16 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
You’ll write your best music when you stop worrying about how it’s going to be catalogued, so don’t fret on that. If the mods said it’s not metal enough to get into the archives, no amount of anyone else telling otherwise will change that anyway.
If you’re not entirely sure on what makes metal sound as such, then you should probably spend more time listening and absorbing the music (maybe even learning some riffs from bands properly considered metal) until you’ve build enough of a musical vocabulary that you can tell the styles apart from each other without doubting yourself.

But one moderator said different things than another. I knew it'll be blacklisted but i don't know who to believe? To someone who says it's on borderline with less nu metal than my previous released? Or to someone who says it's completely nu metal and there's no metal?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:35 am 

The more people you ask, the more differing opinions you will get. If you’re unsure, listen to more music and deliberately study it until you get a grip on what defines each style; that’s a step you have to take on your own, we can’t give you an explanation based in theory to solve your doubts because that’s not how one gets to understand music.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:32 pm 

Follow your heart young padawan! Don't stray but always keep an open mind! There is no such thing as 'wrong music'. \m/

Reply to topic