Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Matt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:50 am 

We all have probably seen those instructional videos from the 80's and 90's from Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Michael Romeo, etc. I really love those videos and they helped me a lot, but does anyone know of any instructional videos from any death metal guitarists? Thanks. (First post ever on the forum so forgive me if I forget anything.)

drumforfood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:32 pm 

Not a video, but for riffs this is a great read: http://www.invisibleoranges.com/riffage-carcass-inpropagation/

The tab is useful for learning the song, but the understanding the way Bill Steer could take a single riff and get a ton of mileage out it is the real meat of the article. Don't be intimidated by the music theory lingo, it's very easy to understand when you apply it to the neck of your guitar. For example: The flat 9(very common in death metal) is simply the first fret on your lowest string and all of its octaves.

Diminished scales are also very common in death metal. They each have 8 notes and follow this formula: half-step, whole-step, half, whole ect. The other starts with the whole step: whole, half, whole, half, ect.

half step is one fret and a whole step is two frets.

Hope this helped!

zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:34 pm 

drumforfood wrote:
Not a video, but for riffs this is a great read: http://www.invisibleoranges.com/riffage-carcass-inpropagation/

The tab is useful for learning the song, but the understanding the way Bill Steer could take a single riff and get a ton of mileage out it is the real meat of the article. Don't be intimidated by the music theory lingo, it's very easy to understand when you apply it to the neck of your guitar. For example: The flat 9(very common in death metal) is simply the first fret on your lowest string and all of its octaves.

Diminished scales are also very common in death metal. They each have 8 notes and follow this formula: half-step, whole-step, half, whole ect. The other starts with the whole step: whole, half, whole, half, ect.

half step is one fret and a whole step is two frets.

Hope this helped!

I'm not super into death metal specifically, but that was definitely a fun an interesting read, thanks for posting that! :)

LOTS OF TREMOLO PICKING XD

Reply to topic