Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Forsake The Earth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 pm 

So, long time lurker but first time ever actually posting on the board - what's up guys?

After playing guitar as a passive hobby for the last decade on and off, I've recently found the inspiration to start a "project," for lack of a better term, and get some stuff recorded. I just uploaded my first recorded song to an older SoundCloud if anyone wants to throw me some feedback, I'd definitely appreciate it. I'm basically just recording with a laptop, cheap USB interface, guitar and amp and programming a drum machine to the best of my ability.

Since I'm at the moment trying to teach myself a bunch of stuff at once (recording, using a DAW, songwriting, drums) I wanted to see if anyone with a little more experience can offer some advice on a few things:

-I'm recording out of my spare bedroom but live in a townhouse and do have to worry about sound output and neighbors. I don't really want to go the route of an amp simulator on my laptop. Am I shooting myself in the foot quality-wise by recording at a lower volume, micing up the amp and driving up the recording level on the mic to compensate? I'd imagine I'm probably losing tone that could be had from cranking the amp but unsure if its negligible in this context. Same question goes for recording bass - especially since cranking that will carry through a little more to other houses.

-As I learn to work with Reaper and MPC to program drum tracks, I'm basically teaching myself how drum patterns work at the same time somewhat by trial and error. I listen to a varied enough selection of bands to throw some variety in, but am wondering if anyone has any tips towards making a drum machine sound more realistic, either through the actual programming of the tracks or effects like reverb, etc. I know nothing is going to compare to having an acoustic kit with multiple mic set ups but at the same time don't want to program just blasts and have it sound like a super boring grindcore drum machine.

-Any general tips for recording at home for someone who wants to avoid the "bedroom black metal" stereotypical production? I'm planning on playing a mix of black, death and doom to a degree but probably leaning towards a black metal kind of atmosphere, but generally don't want or need any super kvlt points for raw production.

Reply to topic