Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 am 

Hi,
I'm not quite about where to post this but... let's try here.
Ok, some friends of mine did ask me about how to sell their music digitally online.
I know about Bandcamp but yesterday they asked me about Spotify too.
https://bandcamp.com/artists
https://artists.spotify.com/
I'm starting to get informed but my main concern is about the rights over their past works (in case they were signed).
What's the policy of those platforms regarding this and their new works, please?
Thanks for your help and time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 am 

with bandcamp all rights are yours.

no idea about spotify. I hate the service.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
with bandcamp all rights are yours.
no idea about spotify. I hate the service.

Thanks! :beer:

I do too. :P

Ok, let's see:
https://bandcamp.com/terms_of_use

Quote:
Intellectual Property Rights – Artists.
Company will not have any ownership rights in any elements of an Artist’s Music
If any agreement you have entered into with any third party, including, but not limited to a PRO, music publisher, union or guild, whether by law or contract, prohibits you from granting company the right and license set forth in this Agreement and making the representations and warranties set forth in the four paragraphs immediately above, then you are prohibited from uploading your music to the Service and shall be responsible for indemnifying and holding company harmless from and against any and all claims arising from the exploitation of your music on the Service, including all court costs and legal fees.

https://bandcamp.com/pricing

Quote:
Pricing
Artist accounts are free. We make money through our revenue share on sales, which is 15% for digital, 10% for merch. We also offer Bandcamp Pro (our premium tier for artists), and Bandcamp for Labels, both for a monthly fee.

https://www.spotify.com/us/legal/spotify-for-artists-terms-and-conditions/

Quote:
6. User Content
You promise that, with respect to any User Content you post on Spotify, (1) you have the right to post such User Content and to grant Spotify the rights to such User Content as set forth in the Agreements, (2) such User Content, or its use by Spotify as contemplated by the Agreements, does not violate the Agreements, applicable law, or the intellectual property (including without limitation copyright), publicity, personality, or other rights of others or imply any affiliation with or endorsement of you or your User Content by Spotify or any other artist, band, label, entity or individual without express written consent from such individual or entity, (3) no royalties or other fees will be payable by Spotify to any third party for the reproduction, distribution, public display, public performance, creation of derivative works, or other use or exploitation of such User Content, and (4) all User Content you submit to the Service is correct, accurate, and does not contain Objectionable Content (defined below in Section 8).

Quote:
7. Rights You Grant Us
You grant Spotify a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, irrevocable, fully paid, worldwide license to use, reproduce, make available to the public (e.g., perform or display), publish, translate, modify, create derivative works from, and distribute any of your User Content solely as it appears on the Service through any medium, whether alone or in combination with other content or materials, in any manner and by any means, method or technology, whether now known or hereafter created, to present and make available your User Content to users of Spotify and the Spotify for Artists Services, and in any and all marketing and promotional materials including but not limited to digital and print media, social media platforms, presentations, submissions, or any industry or commercial advertising purposes. You further grant us the non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully paid, worldwide right to use your name, likeness, and photograph on the Services and in our marketing communications to advertise, market and promote the availability of your User Content on the Service.

Aside from the rights specifically granted in the Agreements, you retain ownership of all rights, including intellectual property rights, in the User Content that you post, and you have only granted us a license as set forth in the Agreements. Where applicable and permitted under applicable law, you also agree to waive any “moral rights” (or the equivalent under applicable law), such as your right to be identified as the author of any User Content, and your right to object to derogatory treatment of such User Content. If such moral rights are not waivable, then you at least agree not to sue us for failure to identify you as the author of any User Content or for any use of your User Content on the Services.

Quote:
9. Infringement and Reporting User Content
Spotify respects the rights of intellectual property owners. If you believe that any Content infringes your intellectual property rights or other rights, see Spotify’s copyright policy, available at https://www.spotify.com/us/legal/copyright-policy. If Spotify is notified by an intellectual property owner or their agent that any Content infringes a protected legal right, then Spotify may, in its absolute discretion, take actions without prior notification to the provider of that Content. If the provider believes that the content is not infringing, the provider may submit a counter-notification to Spotify with a request to restore the removed content.

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 pm 

Spotify costs money right? I don't use it so I don't want to pay them because the result may be disappointing. Bandcamp on the other hand is free, and since it's a small success (to me pretty damn good), I have to pay a share to them. So it's far more interesting.

Atomization - Spotify

Jabawock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:04 am 

To distribute on Spotify, I like to use Music Kickup (https://www.musickickup.com/), which is totally free, and also allows you to reach other services like Deezer, iTunes, Google Play,...
Don't expect big returns (or in fact anything at all, as an underground band), but at least it's free, and it's nice to have your music available on these platforms. Just as on Bandcamp, you do not renounce any copyright by doing this!

As for past works, this will entirely depend on the contract signed between the band and the label, so they should read that. But if the label did not make the music available on Spotify themselves, chances are it's either not in scope of the contract, or they don't care at all. So the band should be safe distributing it, although I would still check with the label just in case (they might be against it for whatever reason)

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:08 am 

Jabawock wrote:
To distribute on Spotify, I like to use Music Kickup (https://www.musickickup.com/), which is totally free, and also allows you to reach other services like Deezer, iTunes, Google Play,...
Don't expect big returns (or in fact anything at all, as an underground band), but at least it's free, and it's nice to have your music available on these platforms. Just as on Bandcamp, you do not renounce any copyright by doing this!
As for past works, this will entirely depend on the contract signed between the band and the label, so they should read that. But if the label did not make the music available on Spotify themselves, chances are it's either not in scope of the contract, or they don't care at all. So the band should be safe distributing it, although I would still check with the label just in case (they might be against it for whatever reason)

That's REALLY interesting, thanks! :beer:
Anyway, are you sure the bands receive ALL that they should just like in case they were using those services in the ordinary way? I mean, is MusicKickUp REALLY free or they take some of the incomes which should go to the artist from the platforms?

Edit:

Quote:
Keep 100%
No hidden fees - easy, you get 100% of your sales royalties!

Quote:
In short, we take no ownership of your music rights. You own your content and get 100% of all payable royalties.

https://www.musickickup.com/faq
Quote:
How do I withdraw my money?
Via PayPal. PayPal takes processing and transaction fee that is 2% of the payment.

Quote:
My music is on Soundcloud and Bandcamp. Should I remove them when I am dealing with Music Kickup.
No. Feel free to use all the channels you want that are not using through Music Kickup

Quote:
How you're supposed to make a living if you distribute for free and take no percentage?
Music Kickup Distribution is just one part of a larger ecosystem that we offer for artists, labels and managers where we generate or revenue. Don't you worry, we know what we're doing! Or as Kimi would say "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!" :)

Quote:
Distribution
Unlimited releases to Spotify, iTunes, Deezer, Google Play, Rdio, Xbox Music and more. Keep 100% of your royalties!

Quote:
Pricing
Free Artist Account
100%
FREE

Quote:
no hidden costs or fees!
dotted line
1 ARTIST ACCOUNT
UNLIMITED RELEASES
100% SALES ROYALTIES
KEEP ALL YOUR RIGHTS
MONTHLY SALES REPORT

Quote:
Music Kickup is directly partnered with these awesome stores:
iTunes* | Google Play* | Deezer* | Spotify* | Youtube | Rdio | Wimp | 7Digital | Xbox Music | Nokia Mix Radio | and more coming soon...
*online now. Other stores connecting soon.

Quote:
CAREER PATH
Artist development and career management.
Career Path offers artists professionally curated tasks to connect with the industry on a whole new level. Built around Music Kickup’s world leading analytics and partner network, we build professionally curated artist tasks, education advice and pathways.
Career Path is built to make sure that our artists have the right team and are heard by the correct partners in the right markets. Making sure artists can reach their full potential.
For partners it is a unique and powerful way to find and filter out new talent, connect to artists and find market intelligence. Partners can set individual levels of success requirements, to reach just the right artists and content for them.

Quote:
ARTIST PRO
World class performance analysis & business tools.
Music Kickup Artist Pro is a service for dedicated artists to gain more traction by understanding their digital sales and fan base. The service has near real-time progress and performance analytics helping artists understand where and who is listening to them.
READ MORE:
https://www.musickickup.com/pro

https://www.musickickup.com/pro

Quote:
Pricing
THE BEST WAY TO ADVANCE YOUR CAREER. SUPER SIMPLE. NO HASSLE, NO HIDDEN FEES, SUPERB VALUE.
44,90€

Quote:
ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION
dotted line
1 ARTIST ACCOUNT
UNLIMITED FREE RELEASES
100% OF SALES ROYALTIES
GLOBAL ANALYTICS
DAILY PERFORMANCE ANALYTICS

https://www.musickickup.com/legal#tos

I'm checking the contracts, right. :thumbsup:

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm 

Very interesting!

Atomization - Spotify

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:29 pm 

So have any of you used Distrokid? I've been checking out some stuff but what doesn't convince me that much is that for a permanent upload you must pay like $29 per upload apart from the yearly fee membership($20)

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:07 pm 

I use Distrokid. I haven't opted into any of the permanent options, though I see it appears to have gone down in price since last time I looked.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Reply to topic