Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:38 pm 

Hey all just looking to create a space where people can discuss the DIY aspect of making music, specifically the non musical aspects. If you have questions about marketing, management, merchandise production, pressing physical copies, etc. etc. this is the place for you.

To kick things off, what works for you when pressing your own CDs? I used memorex cd-r to print 100 copies of my bands demo. About 8 did not work and this morning a working copy couldn’t be read. I think it could be due to being in below freezing temperatures, but for the next batch I want to ensure 100% of them work. To produce them I burned mp3 files from WMP to the discs and stuck an avery cd label on each one.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:25 pm 

When the one-year licence agreement for our last EP expired my band did a DIY compilation CD of our previous two releases for our next tour. We got 200 CD replicated at a professional plant in town for pretty cheap, with a simple black print on the face of the CD. I bought 500 sheets of marbled cardstock on clearance from Staples for like $20 and then whipped up a cheap, shitty layout in simple black/white in Photoshop. Took me a few times to get the layout accurate, I did tests on standard paper at home. Once I got the layout nailed, I went back to Staples and printed the layout on the fancy-ass cardstock. I think we started with 100 copies. Staples charges like 0.10 per B&W print.

The cherry on the cake was that we found a company that made custom wax seals out in the 'burbs. We gave them a logo file, tweaked it until the amount of detail worked for their factory, then got ourselves a customer wax stamper with our logo on it. We paid about $60 for that, and got some really nice sticks of pearl red and gold wax. I stole a hot glue gun from work, bought 24 beers and a couple Helloween DVDs and had the boys over for arts n crafts night.

We hand-folded the cardstock layouts into envelopes according to a YouTube video we watched and then closed each CD with a wax seal. BOOM. Check the link for photos:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/G ... ons/574796

It took a bunch of extra effort but I think they're super cool and unique. Getting 200 of these pressed professionally with a colour sleeve and everything might have come in around the same price. They get a lot of attention at our merch stand and we've had times when people have bought TWO, one to open and one to keep sealed. We also did the seals in two different colours (gold and red) to add to the fun factor.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:10 pm 

Those came out fucking sick! How much did it cost to get the CDs done professionally? Turns out my copies work when they get warm, but I definitely want to go the professional route for our next release. Maybe even use jewel cases instead of envelopes!

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:57 pm 

Thanks! Cost wasn't much really... I think it was $200-$230 canadian for 200 copies with the black printing on the face.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 am 

That isn’t bad at all considering I paid right around 100 dollar US to do all of the production and packaging for 100 copies.

Marras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:13 am 

I recently bought a badge making machine. If you are making badges for just your own band, it probably won't pay for itself. But with it is possible to make small batches of custom badges that usually isn't worth it if you order them from somewhere. And of course you can try to make a small business making badges for other bands too. The materials needed for one badge cost around 0.2€, depending on how much you order at once and how high quality print you want.

Other thing that I've tried is to make some band merchandise with industrial laser cutter that I have access to. Pendants from plywood are quite easy and sufficiently impressive. http://krakenpine.kapsi.fi/shared/pekkapendant2.jpg

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 am 

I previously printed the CDs and cassettes by a company in small amounts. Like 50 or something. With my latest album I do it all myself. I print them one by one whenever I need some. I had to make another image which is much brighter to print it so the physical image would look like the one to be found online. I'm actually looking ways so people will notice it, it is available on YouTube and BandCamp but people only listen to it sporadically. Any tips for different channels? I experienced that Soundcloud was really annoying plus you have to pay for the tracks to upload.

Atomization - Spotify

Reply to topic