Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sveino1000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:07 pm 

I had to take a break from drums for 2 days. When i started to play again i didn't manage to play fast. I use to blast and i just didn't manage to blast. Well, i am able to blast slow, but not on 130-140bpm something i managed before the break. Now i have to relearn it. It have happened before, but it only took a few days or something before i was back at it.

Is it normal to experience things like this when you stop playing for a couple days? Why does it happen?

nasierszyca
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 pm 

One day break it's a week of catching up.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am 

The more experience you have, the less time it takes to get it back to a reasonable level. If you're still relatively new, and it's frustrating that you have to work back to achieve a level you had just reached, it usually works out that when you do re-learn it, you end up leveling up as well. Sometimes you need to take breaks in order to be able to advance, too.

It can be a bit of back and forth occassionally. It's usually when you're at the threshold of learning something new that you feel like you've gotten so much worse than you used to be. Don't be discouraged, you're doing well! :thumbsup:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:52 pm 

That's just inexperience, it'll happen less with more experience. It always takes a bit of time to pick up an instrument again, but it becomes much less of a challenge with years and practice.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:23 pm 

i think it is for some just starting out. I don't recall anything specific like that happening to me. Usually once I know something and can perform it then i know it and can still perform it with no issue. nowadays I don't really require much aside from a normal warm up like 5-10mins that's only as to play at top form not relearning something.

Reply to topic