Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
elkulon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:22 pm 

Hi, greetings from Argentina (and sorry for my poor english)

I've started some months ago to sing in a hard rock / melodic heavy metal band, and my favourite kind-of tone/texture of vocals would go to the raspy/harsh melodic vocals, like Jorn Lande or Joe Lynn Turner, instead of more cleanish vocals.

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere in Argentina, and there are not vocal coaches here, not even close enough to travel easily. Besides, as I understand, the methods for singing classic Opera vocals are absolutely different than the Pop/Rock methods that can be implemented in this kind of sound I want to get, and the closest coaches I haven known about are more in the classical way.

So...
The things I want to get:
-techniques to sing in a relaxed way for some period of time, without getting my throat tired (usually in rehearsal, I last two setlist and I get unusable for a couple of days)
-techniques to increase the range of my vocals (you already know that this style is often in a very high pitch)
-techinques to sing in that raspy/harsh way, without brake my chords (I don't have a technique to sing like that, so I try to sing without raspying/harshing the vocals)
-techniques for keep the relax in a constant period of time.
-warmup and warmdown for that kind of vocal use

I have seen a couple of videos from Ken Tamplin, but I can't afford that price (the money in my town means just sh*t)
Any suggestions? videos? tutorials?

PS: I have seen a lot of YT videos. Several times. I need advices from people that maybe have seen those very same videos and found their own way from them, and got nice results. And maybe... maybe... this post would help someone else too ;)

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:05 pm 

This is a guy whose material I worked on a lot when I was singing. He compares a lot of high-octane rock and heavy metal singers to the more dramatic approaches of gospel, which I think makes a lot of sense.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EricArceneaux

On a physical level, you might find Alexander Technique interesting. It's not about singing specifically, but it targets posture and movements and these ideas are often taught in performing arts schools.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

elkulon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:25 am 

Element_man wrote:
This is a guy whose material I worked on a lot when I was singing. He compares a lot of high-octane rock and heavy metal singers to the more dramatic approaches of gospel, which I think makes a lot of sense.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EricArceneaux

On a physical level, you might find Alexander Technique interesting. It's not about singing specifically, but it targets posture and movements and these ideas are often taught in performing arts schools.

Nice reply.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I'll watch the videos from Eric Arceneaux, and search for some info about Alexander Technique.

Cheers!!

Reply to topic