Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
koreanjasonstatham
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 pm 

Yeah I'm not good at introductions and shit, so I'll just tell you the deal. I was thinking about this today, and I decided to come here and ask about it since I figured this would be the best place. Do you guys know of any phone app that someone could use that would be helpful in finding potential band members? Like, you download it, punch in your location and what you're looking for in a band and it would help you get in contact with them. Kinda like tinder except for musicians and not degenerates.

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:44 pm 

Not an app, but I had really good luck with Craigslist. One post saying I was looking for a band with some of my influences posted and the next week I was in the band that I have been in for 4 years now. I had multiple offers within days. I guess it all depends on how many musicians and bands are in your area.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:55 pm 

If Craigslist fails/isn't a big thing in your area, search facebook for "musicians wanted/available in [your area]" kinda groups. Or just google "musicians wanted in [your area]". In the UK there's joinmyband.co.uk and Gumtree, which aren't too bad. Facebook's got more reach though.

Although with that said, the best bandmates/bands I've been involved in have come about through going to shows, meeting people, and playing in a load of shit bands until you find the people that are actually worth working with. So y'know, real life is an option too.

Although if you're a guitarist/wanting to be the creative force in the band, for fucks sake have some material written. If you've got good riffs and can show you can actually play, people will be a lot more interested.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:58 pm 

Awblaster wrote:
Although with that said, the best bandmates/bands I've been involved in have come about through going to shows, meeting people, and playing in a load of shit bands until you find the people that are actually worth working with. So y'know, real life is an option too.
Cannot stress this enough. I've gone about finding bands/jam partners through many means over the years and I can tell you that the folks I met in person through social situations or through other real-life connections were generally the most fruitful. That being said, Craigslist, Facebook, local music forums and classifieds are worth checking out. You never know what you might stumble across.

I would go to shows, meet people, be friendly. Hanging out at guitar stores is a great way to keep an ear to the ground, especially if you can make friends with the staff. Go in, buy a pack of strings or whatever, hang out for a bit, try out some new gear (as non-annoyingly as possible) and chat up a few people. This takes time and effort but if that's a problem then maybe playing in a band isn't going to be your thing. Once you can make friends with a couple people in the scene to hang with at shows/parties/jam spaces/guitar stores then you'll likely find yourself meeting a lot of musicians really fast.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Reply to topic