Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:58 pm 

I'm looking for headphones that do a really good gob of cutting out outisde noise. When I do vocals, I am of course yelling, which can throw me off time because I can't hear the tracks being played. I could just turn the volume up REALLY loud, but I'd prefer not to murder my ears. Would a pair of Beats to the trick? or is there something better out there that anyone can recommend?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:55 pm 

My friend bought Beyerdynamic DT 770 for playing drums, and well, they certainly do the job. I've done vocals and guitars with them myself, and I think they're excellent. Pretty dear, though, at €130-ish new, but I would recommend them.

Personally, when recording vocals, I want to hear just a little bit of myself in the room, because that's how I'm used to hearing myself when practicing. With these headphones, I have to slide the other earphone slightly off, because otherwise I can't hear anything except what's coming from the earphones or resonating inside my head. So, I'd say they isolate really well. :P

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:17 pm 

damn, looks like I gotta start saving then. Yea, I can understand the need to hear yourself a little bit. But damn, if these can do a pretty good job of cutting out drum sounds then they must be worth the money that they are. I dont suppose I can use them on my next flight to cut out the engine whine and actually be able to hear my music! thanks for the suggestion

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:06 pm 

I like Koss for recording. they were 30 bucks at walmart. They don't carry them anymore. but they were loud, isolate extremely well and never distorted out.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:47 am 

DT770s are amazing, I use them as my monitor headphones. If you want isolation then Vic Firth do some great isolation cans, I've heard good things about Extreme Isolation's range as well. But they're more aimed at drummers, if you're just gonna be doing vocals then DT770s will be excellent.

Don't buy Beats. Beats are some of the worst headphones on the market and it's an absolute fucking disgrace that they're allowed to market them as "studio" headphones.

Liontime
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:30 pm 

I would also advise against Beats. If you don't really care about sound quality and want something cheap that will block out other sounds while conveying the beat and pitches you might just want to get those in-ear noise isolating ear buds. As long as they fit your ear canal they work just like ear plugs. (you can probably find some for $10)

This would allow you to budget for a better pair of headphones for when you're not screaming.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:35 am 

hots_towel wrote:
Would a pair of Beats to the trick?

Beats = $14 worth of components marked up to $200. Get some Sennheiser HD280s, they don't sound great but they're cheap and reject noise well.

I'm confused about the problem. You don't want to hear yourself singing? WTF?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:17 am 

He can still hear himself sing from the headphones if he wants to. Maybe he doesn't want to hear himself in the room, and only the monitoring, because that's what the track is going to sound like anyway. That definitely doesn't work out for me. :lol:

Reply to topic