Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necrologue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:13 am 

I'm looking for suggestions for good black or death metal albums to drum to. I would prefer bands with a lot of blast beats and a BPM around 112, perhaps a little lower. Monotonous norsecore is great as long as the riffing is good. Feel free to name the obvious choices as well as the obscure ones.

Thanks!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:43 pm 

not sure what you're trying to do here... if you want to improve your blastbeats, there's not much use playing along to an album. just practice at the bpm you can play accurately at, and bring it up progressively. lagging behind a recording won't help you :D
if your blastbeats are tight, but you don't have a band, there's the usual suspects like Hellhammer (the drummer, not the band), Frost and Yohann Pasquier. if you can play those, move to norway and you'll be hired asap! :)

Necrologue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:06 am 

aloof wrote:
not sure what you're trying to do here... if you want to improve your blastbeats, there's not much use playing along to an album. just practice at the bpm you can play accurately at, and bring it up progressively.

IIRC, Hellhammer makes a pretty drastic transition into a BPM higher than 112 after DMDS. Similarly, Frost's work in 1349 is also above that threshold. I'm not really in the mood for Satyricon's earlier material at the moment, either.

The reason I chose 112 is because that's roughly my plateau on my practice pad kit. I was hoping to find a more interesting way to advance past it than just setting a metronome and blasting. I already do that at a higher rate on a real kit. I'm looking for a means of breaking the monotony and learning to adapt to other drummers' playing styles. :|

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:27 am 

ok, that's fair, and you obv know your bpms. you may advance past your plateau by playing along to records, but you may end up sloppy... (a common occurence) unf I don't have my bm collection categorized by bpms, so I can't suggest albums in the ballpark of 112... good luck finding something you fancy :)

Necrologue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:45 am 

About 80% - 90% of my playing is to a metronome. I've been using a metronome since day one. The only reason I don't use it on the practice kit is because the rubber doesn't make for as interesting of a drum beat as the real drums do, so I want riffs behind it to keep things interesting.

I think Panzer Division Marduk hovers around 100 BPM, but I was hoping to listen to a band or albums that I haven't heard many times over before. Anyone?

Reply to topic